Menu

No/Low Spend Week 4 & 5 (1/21-1/31)

Runningmom80

Snowstorm here, so a no spend day. Tucked in and watching the snow fly costs no money. Since all of our activities were cancelled tonight, we're popping popcorn & watching a movie. Of course, Kari's milkshakes would be great, but we have no ice cream. Nor do we have cream to make any in my DH's new ice cream machine (Christmas present). Hmmm, maybe we'll do hot chocolate instead.

Do you have the tightwad hot chocolate recipe? :leaving: I'm getting obnoxious now, probably. :tongue_smilie:

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent $7.16 so far today. I say so far because milkshakes are sounding good all of a sudden, and I don't have any ice cream.

The $7.16 was $5 for two children to have an hour long art class. I was providing the space, so the teacher only charged me for one student. If we get a few more students, I won't have to pay for either student. The remaining $2.16 was an Amazon movie rental. We watched a documentary to go with our current lit/history.

I think I did really well this month. Here are some month end totals. For next month I'd like to keep my Kindle/Itunes under $10, groceries under $550, and eating out under $20.

Fuel- $92.02

Eating out- $31.77

Groceries including household and pets- $585.70

Kids Activities and Needs- $214.08

Clothes- $87.76 (all kids clothes)

Curriculum- $26.60

Gifts- $16.74

Kindle/Itunes- $16.01

Ok..since it's the last day of the month...here's my stats. I ended up with 22 no spend days. I stuck to my budget and funded my emergency fund.

Tomorrow starts the new month...so my goals are to stick with my budget plan and only shop once a week. I'm going to restock tomorrow for the next 7 days since I'm doing LCLF and I'm only planning one week of meals at a time. I'll fill up the gas tank for the two weeks and have our vehicle cleaned. I'm going to buy my quilting fabric for the 5 quilts I'm making this month and restock my cross-stitch floss. I've found if I have what I need on hand...I don't have to go out and therefore spend little or no money each week.

My husband is going to be shocked with how much money I've saved this month...he doesn't have any idea I've been doing this.

How did I do? Pretty okay. January is always a very tough month for us financially, but I will often buy stuff in January and worry about paying for it in February. This month I did not do that. No clothes, makeup, curricula, etc. I'm sure I overspent on food, but I even tried not to just buy extra junk and to really stick to buying what we needed for meals.

I'm still eyeing CW Herodotus for two of my boys. I own one copy, but am not sure I can teach both of them with only one copy for 3 of us to share, so I'll debate it a little longer. My birthday is in February, so I will probably treat myself to a haircut (and maybe even spring for streaks) and will definitely make some sort of cheese cake thing that day. :)

I did okay. I will post a cumulative summary later-have to run to work.

I think I realize that I need some mad money. I just felt too...hemmed in. I don't need a lot, but just for little goodies once and a while like a coffee or health bar on my way to work. Otherwise, I didn't feel too deprived, towards the end I actually realized my thinking was changing a bit and that I didn't think about "picking up a little something at TJ Maxxz" as much LOL.

I did better than I expected. January was a good month for me to begin our budget focus as it was summer holidays, so we were home a lot more than normal. If I am home I tend not to spend. Things that I learned during January include:

---If I only need milk, go to the dairy across the street, not the big grocery store in town.

---Menu planning really does save a lot of money & time.

---I can live without my cocacola & my favorite tea, but it isn't fun & I get grumpy.

---My men need more meat than we had on the menu this month.

---If I'm not buying junk food, I need to bake more.

---Making homemade bread each day means we waste none as it all gets eaten & none gets moldy.

---It's really nice to know that fresh salad is only a step away in the garden outside.

Hmmm.... I kind of lost the plot during the last 10 days or so. I did great for the first 20 days of the month.... 11 no spend days, no unnecessary purchases.... but the last 10 days -- UGH! I bought clothes on clearance sale (twice!), I went out to eat with dh (twice!), I bought a new alarm clock for one ds, a couple of birthday gifts for my other ds, some stuffing for a craft project that I maybe could have done without.

This month has, however, helped me to begin clarifying my thoughts on something that I'm really trying to incorporate into my life, which is the idea of good stewardship.

*Am I a good steward of the money which comes into our home? My dh traded some of his life energy for that money.... is a ceramic do-dad for the garden or yet another skein of yarn a good trade for some of that energy? Are some of my choices motivated by laziness or selfishness or boredom?

*Am I a good steward of the things I already own? Do I have piles of clothes that I'm too lazy to fold or iron or mend? Do I have piles of unread books, unfinished science kits, art projects for the kids that we never got around to? Do I have bins of fabric and yarn and beads that have no planned purpose or whose purpose I'm too lazy to follow through on? If so, then I'm not showing good stewardship. I'm not respecting these items and I'm not respecting the money used to purchase them.

Somewhere in that jumble of thoughts I'm trying to tie together good stewardship, respect for life energy, respect for natural resources, and minimalism. I would like to have these thoughts guide my spending from now on... not necessarily no spend or low spend, but very careful, mindful spending. I also hope to show a greater respect for the things I already own, to care for them properly, and to either complete projects or release them to someone who will.

I know this is fairly meaningless to everyone but me, so I apologize for rambling on. :o Just hoping that writing it down makes me feel more accountable. :leaving:

Finally, we arrive at the last day of January. My totals barely changed since I posted them this weekend, helped in part by my fall down the stairs that has made me go nowhere unnecessary. I'm too lazy to go get my earlier total and repost it - the only changes were something like $10 more for dd's lunches.

My goals for February:

1. To again keep my food groceries under $600 and household groceries under $100.

2. To buy nothing on Amazon/Kindle - that is a serious trouble area for me!

3. To NOT buy either of the two perfect quilts for sale through GAIAM.

4. I will be going to have my hair done and I have no intention of posting that amount for you all to see! :leaving: If I felt confident that I could find a less expensive hair option, I would make that my goal, but I'm not, so I won't.

Hmmm.... I kind of lost the plot during the last 10 days or so. I did great for the first 20 days of the month.... 11 no spend days, no unnecessary purchases.... but the last 10 days -- UGH! I bought clothes on clearance sale (twice!), I went out to eat with dh (twice!), I bought a new alarm clock for one ds, a couple of birthday gifts for my other ds, some stuffing for a craft project that I maybe could have done without.

This month has, however, helped me to begin clarifying my thoughts on something that I'm really trying to incorporate into my life, which is the idea of good stewardship.

*Am I a good steward of the money which comes into our home? My dh traded some of his life energy for that money.... is a ceramic do-dad for the garden or yet another skein of yarn a good trade for some of that energy? Are some of my choices motivated by laziness or selfishness or boredom?

*Am I a good steward of the things I already own? Do I have piles of clothes that I'm too lazy to fold or iron or mend? Do I have piles of unread books, unfinished science kits, art projects for the kids that we never got around to? Do I have bins of fabric and yarn and beads that have no planned purpose or whose purpose I'm too lazy to follow through on? If so, then I'm not showing good stewardship. I'm not respecting these items and I'm not respecting the money used to purchase them.

Somewhere in that jumble of thoughts I'm trying to tie together good stewardship, respect for life energy, respect for natural resources, and minimalism. I would like to have these thoughts guide my spending from now on... not necessarily no spend or low spend, but very careful, mindful spending. I also hope to show a greater respect for the things I already own, to care for them properly, and to either complete projects or release them to someone who will.

I know this is fairly meaningless to everyone but me, so I apologize for rambling on. :o Just hoping that writing it down makes me feel more accountable. :leaving:

On the contrary, this is quite brilliant. I could not agree with you more!

That would make such a good addition to the book I'm writing, I might have to beg permission to quote you.

I think being a good steward is a wonderful way to look at it!! We all have different needs and different amounts of money... the key is, are you doing the best you can with what you've been given?? :)

Halcyon, yes, I noticed gas had gone up quite a bit! Earlier in the month, it got down to $2.98 here. (Terribly sad that seems like a good price now.) When I was out earlier in the week, I was shocked to see it at $3.29.

For hot chocolate... we actually just heat up chocolate skim milk and top with mini marshmallows. I've been slightly addicted to that over the winter. :) And I've discovered my dog will do just about anything for a marshmallow... seriously, he hears the bag and comes running from the other side of the house!

Unfortunately, I need to start off February tomorrow with a trip to Costco and the grocery store. Too bad I can't swap today for tomorrow in my counts, LOL. But it's only a high of 7 degrees here today, and I have absolutely NO intention of leaving the house. ;)

Awww... thank you, ladies, for "getting" me. :001_smile: Nobody who lives in my house ever seems to, so it feels lovely for a change!

On the contrary, this is quite brilliant. I could not agree with you more!

That would make such a good addition to the book I'm writing, I might have to beg permission to quote you.

And thank you for this! I've been reading everything you've written about your book.... your subject is one I happen to be obsessed with! LOL.... so I'm very flattered that you liked my post. Made my day. :001_wub:

We went over in eating out for the month. I found I need to plan better for those days we're out and about; I'm terrible about planning ahead for dinner. I did go grocery shopping today, but it is out of Feb's budget (DH gets paid on the last day of the month), so I will count it as Feb. I've got a busy month coming up and need to figure out a plan for eating.

Serenity, that was wonderful! Thank you for posting those thoughts on stewardship. I'm going to have to put them somewhere I can see them when I'm tempted to spend. I really loved reading your post, it's really got me thinking, and reevaluating.

Well, I should probably answer my own questions. :)

I think I did pretty well. The only big unplanned purchases were curricula, but I can definitely justify those purchases. Also, I only went to Starbucks 3 times this month (twice in the past 2 days. Yikes) we used to go twice a week! That's definitely an improvement.

I did manage to spend less on groceries this month by 100-200 dollars. It's still twice what everyone else spent, but it's a start. I have a grocery trip planned tomorrow. I'm going to get out cash and try to stick to what I take out.

Next month my challenge is going to be stuff for my twins. They are really in a mischievous mood lately, and I am feeling the need to buy some new puzzles, and art supplies to help keep them occupied. I bought the Montessori ebook, he has lots of suggestions to make things, so I'm going to try to do that as cheaply as possible.

For the first time ever, I know every penny spent with the exception of a few things DH pays as business expenses. It wasn't a bad month overall.

We spent $806.79 on groceries, including pet food/litter, OTC medications, TP, paper towels, a food storage bucket and easy open lid, and some stocking up. I want to go through my receipts and figure out how much all of the non-food came to.

Eating out ($107.47) included two fast food dinners which could have been avoided (I didn't get long-cooking dinners started in time). There was a fast food lunch for the kids and I that resulted from DH calling me and telling me to leave early for a field trip forty minutes away because the traffic was really bad. We basically had to leave immediately without making the lunch I had planned on bringing. There was also a drive thru lunch for DD and me when we were out for her birthday appointments and an ice cream treat at Costco for the littles.

School expenses ($84.36) included a field trip, an art class, two movies and a documentary for literature/history tie-ins, and some Kindle books for literature/history.

I spent $184.99 for a doctor's appointment, a prescription, and a chiropractic appointment. There was also $75 for a lab bill.

The category that looks outrageous is gifts. That included a very unusual $300 spent on DD's 13th birthday. In lieu of a party, we took her for a haircut and styling consultation, a makeup consultation, and purchases of clothing and makeup. We used the recently paid off car payment to fund this. We also bought a birthday gift for DS5's friend's birthday party, sent a package to Malawi, and bought our pastor a gag gift.

I also spent $120 on gas for the car, $29.25 on entertainment (4 people to see The Hobbit in the theater), and $82.53 on clothing for DS11 who REALLY needed them.

Okay, so here's how I did during January:

Groceries: $650/$600 was goal

Eating Out: $37.50

Pet Food: $35

Vet Bills: $144

Afterschool Fees: $108

Entertainment: $30 (Hobbit)

Gas $130

Personal Expenses (wants, not needs) $55

Curriculum: $60 ($57 on Lively Latin 2 which was on sale)

Amount Transferred to Savings $125.

I did well. Probably too well, because now there are a bunch of things I need to buy that I didn't buy last month, like The Story of Science, Elementary Greek, Real World Algebra, Patty Paper Geometry, and Mathematical Mystery Tour. Sigh. I also need running sneakers pretty badly. Today I bought my younger a new pair of sneakers, on sale for $24 and we needed art supplies $18.

I don't know whether to tell myself we don't "need" this curriculum, or whether I should go ahead and buy it. Curriculum is a tough one!

Ok, I just finished categorizing my grocery total:

$600.92: food

$ 76.24: household (TP, dishwasher tabs, cutlery/paper plates for b-day cake, food storage bucket/lid, etc.)

$ 21.73: cat food

$ 56.22: OTC meds (zytrec, 5-HTP, airborne)

$ 51.68: personal care (pads, razors, pullups, toothpaste)

I now know that I spent $3.23 per person per day for food.

Given your earlier threads about your eldest, I'd suggest you go ahead and buy it if you can manage it. Especially buy it if you think it will help with his doldrums.

Thanks. Speaking of elder, he is doing better with the Mega Red Omega 3 that was recommended on the boards. His mood is better, and we had a sit down about expectations, etc. I am pleased. This is partly for him, and partly for younger, who has started Greek and is finished up Zaccaro Primary Grade Challenge Math. Both of them want to Patty Paper Geometry, but I can't say it's a necessity, kwim?

Surprisingly, it didn't take that long to figure it out. I have an accordion file with twelve slots that I've been putting all of my receipts in. I just had to pull them out and look for the Safeway, Winco, and Costco receipts. As I ran down them, I wrote down the cost of each item under the category it belonged in. I added each column and then added on the tax. It probably took about 15 minutes.