Menu

Do you de-bone your canned salmon?

rgrin

Do you de-bone your canned salmon?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you de-bone your canned salmon?

• Yes, I take the bones out before preparing the meal.
    • No, I leave them in. It doesn't really affect the meal.

I just used my first can of canned salmon. Oh, my. There were all of these round bones in it. DH said that in his family they always left them in the salmon... it had been cooked so much already that they would just fall apart. I couldn't bring myself to do it and sifted through the whole can to get the bones out. For future reference, I'm seeking the wisdom of the hive. What do you do... and why?

Guest inoubliable

Ugh. My parents left those in. I thought they were some sort of cartilage. Blech!

This may have something to do with why I'm vegan today... LOL

The little round bones I always take out...but I think they're pretty easy to grab, because they're usually kind of connected.

The thin little bones, however...if I happen to get them, fine, but if not, I don't think you can even tell. I don't worry about the skin, either.

You need an "other". :-) I buy the boneless/skinless canned salmon. I know the bones are good for you, but I can't stand them. Not having to pick them out (or being surprised by one that I missed - ugh) is worth the extra cost of buying the boneless kind to me.

I voted "no" but would have voted "other" if you had that choice.

I leave the small ones in, but remove the bigger ones because I don't care for the texture.

We hardly ever eat canned slamon, though, as we prefer the fillets. :drool5:

I have some canned salmon, but I dont know what to do with it. I had no idea there could be bones!! Now I will have to check. I have not opened a can because I cannot find any recipies. We normally just eat fresh fillets from the meat market!

What do you do with the cans?

I buy the skinless/boneless. I use it for salmon salad (like you'd do tuna salad), or putting some with some rice or pasta and some veg when I'm only feeding one or two people. It's also nice for a packable lunch - salad greens, chopped tomato, maybe some scallions, and the salmon, plus maybe some feta.

If you have the kind with bones and you'd prefer not to have them, you can always make a puree'd salmon spread of some kind.

Salmon mousse is my favorite but I've never made it.