Menu

hip pain - arthritis?

HollyDay

I have had hip and lower back pain for sometime now. Last time I did PT, they told me it was SI joint, periformis, and IT Band. The pain has been pretty decent the past couple years. But, this past Oct. it has come back and worse than ever. Now, they are throwing hip bursitis in the mix. My doc and I did a consult, went over my labs, and he thinks it is also arthritis. He gave me a script for NSAID that is specifically geared toward arthritis and it has really helped. I had not considered arthritis. Anyone BTDT who can give me some input? Things to research?

Thanks!!

http://www.alignedandwell.com/katysays/. Read everything written by her. Then get her lectures via Restorative Exercise or her DVDs. I have the same issues and I also pulled my pelvis. Her techniques and stretches are life savers. Seriously. Most info is free on her site. If you are interested, pm me and I will email you a document I created of my stretches I do daily. My pain is 90% better and only bad if I bend wrong or sit weird for awhile. :)

Sorry to hear about your hip pain, it can be extremely unpleasant! Have you ever seen a chiropractor about it? Is it just one hip or both? Have you had any x-rays done of your hips or SI joint? Was your bloodwork normal?

As Kalanamak said Ankylosing Spondylitis is a possibility. Do you know if one of the bloodtests they did was for HLA-B27? That is a common test for AS.

If you haven't gone to a chiropractor I would highly encourage you to, at least for a consultation. I separated my pelvis with my twin pregnancy and after several years of PT I finally went to a chiro and got some relief. Working on core stability can also help if your SI joint is out of alignment, contributing to hip pain.

I'm glad the NSAID is working at least! Good luck!

Marisa

As Kalanamak said Ankylosing Spondylitis is a possibility. Do you know if one of the bloodtests they did was for HLA-B27? That is a common test for AS.

HLA-B27 is + in a big chunk of white Americans. And some people with AS don't have it. It is a vague test.

Response to NSAIDS is more sensitive and specific than the HLA-B27.

I just brought it up because it is underdiagnosed, esp in women, and esp early on. The classic 20 year old male with eye inflammation, hip pain and disability by 40 is not that common. Dramatic, so all the pictures show it, but not the majority of cases.

My dr diagnosed bursitis in my hip. gave me pain killers.

My chiropractor focused on it, and gave me yoga stretches to do. It took several months of adjustments and stretching, but eventually responded and I haven't had any trouble since.

the chiro and yoga stretches were more helpful than anti-inflamitories and analgesics.