Menu

HI - I'd like to hear from those who have used, or at least had a good look at, both the IEW programme and the Complete Writer, by SWB.

How do they compare? Is there much difference in philosopies between the two programmes? Has anyone out there actually made up some sort of chart to compare the two? What things are the same? What are different?

Any other comments or opinions on how the two programmes compare?

Thanks!

We used WWE and also WWS, then swapped to IEWB 2/3 way through WWS. Ds12 is finding IEW much easier and more user friendly than WWS, and I have less headaches. He's just not independent enough for WWS, and needs more of the 'hand-holding' of IEW.

But I think WWE - very different to WWS - would be ideal to use alongside IEW. WWE focusses on narration and dictation, and IEW is more about composition. If I did 5th grade over again, I would use WWE + IEWA or B.

Ds had about 6 weeks worth of IEW before stopping. Coincidentally, we're at the 6th week mark of WWE, which he finds tolerable. So not a lot of experience here, but this is what I think:

IEW is much more detailed. It requires a careful combing through of a passage, identifying keywords, and specific structuring of various sentences. WWE is more big picture in that sentence construction is not addressed. It encourages the child to come up with the narration, which improves with practice. There is also dictation which trains the ears to listen carefully. Definitely a lot less hand holding.

My big picture guy found the parts-to-whole mode of learning to be intolerable. He prefers WWE where the approach is whole-to-parts. It's a learning style preference. Some kids can do both. Well, not my kid at this age anyway ^_^ .