Menu

Can we talk about Dishwashers?

mom4him

I hear about people that have dishwashers that are 8-10 years old and STILL working. Well, it has NEVER happened for me. It seems like no matter how much I spend my dishwasher starts to die at about 4 yrs and like now at almost 6 years old even my dh is voting we get a new one with some of our tax refund. I am at such a quandry as to what brand and model to get though.

We have a Whirlpool for the last 3 and they are ok but this last one, if we hadn't gotten the extended warranty, it would have cost us a lot to keep up. At the time it was pretty much at the top of the line.

I want one that is quiet, washes the dishes without me having to wash the dishes first and that doesn't run our power bill through the roof. We are a family of 5 but I cook pretty much everything from scratch so it is normally run twice a day and sometimes 3 times.

I would like to know what kind you have, how long you have had it, what you like and don't like about it, and how much it cost. I have between $700-1000 budgeted for this. Wouldn't mind if it was less than the $700 though.

Blessings,

I have a mid-line Whirlpool, which is over eight years old now. I haven't had a single problem with it. I rinse/scrape solids off the dishes, but I certainly don't *wash* them before they go into the dishwasher. I'm sure some credit must go to my Amway dishwasher detergent :-) but still, I have nothing but good to say about the dishwasher. At this point, I plan *always* to have a Whirlpool.

I had the same model of dishwasher in my last house. It was over eight years old when we moved, and I had the same good results with it.

I have a mid-line Whirlpool, which is over eight years old now. I haven't had a single problem with it. I rinse/scrape solids off the dishes, but I certainly don't *wash* them before they go into the dishwasher. I'm sure some credit must go to my Amway dishwasher detergent :-) but still, I have nothing but good to say about the dishwasher. At this point, I plan *always* to have a Whirlpool.

I had the same model of dishwasher in my last house. It was over eight years old when we moved, and I had the same good results with it.

Hmmm, This is the longest we have had one. I use Ecover Dish tabs and really like them. Don't think I have ever used Amway dishwasher soap. Is it a fragrance free product?

I don't have a particular brand to recommend but I would like to recommend that you look at a double drawer dishwasher. Mine is a Kenmore Elite and it's fine but it's the style not the brand that I love. The configuration means I can put in a full meal of dishes, plus a snack and have a full load for one drawer while the next drawer is being filled. It's perfect for our family of six and doesn't leave half full loads sitting around for 24 hours + to get dry and crusty. It's an Energy Star so that's fine and it's quiet. It fits in a standard dishwasher size space. I can't recommend the double drawer configuration highly enough.

I have a kitchenaid one. It is about 7 years old and I have never needed to have it serviced. Just this week we spent $30 to replace the flatware basket as it has holes in the bottom. Another time we replaced the jet dry reservoir lid because a child loosened it and it fell out when running and melted. These are the only repairs it has needed since we bought it. We purchased the second to the top (I think there were 4 models at the time) and I believe it cost about $850 at the time. It is quiet and works very well. We have a family of six and it runs very often. We do not do much to dishes before we load them. We do not even rinse unless it is very bad, we just scrape the plate of large bits into the chicken bucket and load. We have been very happy with it.

I don't have a particular brand to recommend but I would like to recommend that you look at a double drawer dishwasher. Mine is a Kenmore Elite and it's fine but it's the style not the brand that I love. The configuration means I can put in a full meal of dishes, plus a snack and have a full load for one drawer while the next drawer is being filled. It's perfect for our family of six and doesn't leave half full loads sitting around for 24 hours + to get dry and crusty. It's an Energy Star so that's fine and it's quiet. It fits in a standard dishwasher size space. I can't recommend the double drawer configuration highly enough.

That is interesting. Most complains on the double drawer is they don't hold as much nor big pots and pans. Do you do your cooking utensils in it?