Menu

Coconut Oil for people with nut allergies

I have been shopping around for raw coconut oil in hopes to find some that is really great quality, but not processed in the same facility as treenuts or peanuts. I love the idea of wilderness family's brand, but they have the extra nuts floating around their facility. Anyone have any recommendations for a great raw coconut oil that isn't processed in a plant with other allergens?

I don't really have an answer for you, but one of my kids has tree nut allergies and the labeling laws have changed recently and they now label coconut as a "tree nut" which makes the whole cross contamination issue even more confusing.

I think making your own coconut oil might be a good idea, although labor intensive.

Nutiva from Costco and Nature's Way from my local grocery have no allergy info on the label. Spectrum mentions being bottled at a facility where there is peanut oil. I don't feed my peanut-and-tree-nut-allergic ds coconut oil very often, but we have had no allergy problems with it.

I use Tropical Traditions with my tree nut anaphylactic son. I haven't called in the last year, so do call to verify, but when I last called Tropical Traditions is not produced with tree nuts. They make or made a peanut butter product but it was in an entirely different facility.

Thank you for all of the great suggestions! I am really hoping to find a good brand that is clean and safe for my peanut/tree nut anaphylactic kiddo so we as a family can include it in our diet more frequently. I will look into all of these brands!

It is sort of funny coconut is classified as a tree nut. It might be worth a call to several of the companies to see if this is effecting their labeling.

I have never considered making my own! Eek! HAHAH! I bet it would be fun to learn!

Best bet I think is to call pr write all the major brands, Nutiva, Spectrum, Tropical Traditions, etc. From what I understand from others these are pretty small companies, and are usually good at giving a personal answer to any questions.

Coconut oil is amazing stuff...

Nutiva's FB page says (in response to a question) that their line has peanut oil (processed and unprocessed). I had to scroll awhile to find it. I cut and pasted part of the response for you All food manufacturing facilities are required by the FDA to follow current good manufacturing practices (cGMPs) in order to avoid cross-contact/contamination of products made on shared equipment thereby minimizing allergen or other food safety concerns/risks to the consumer.

Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is produced on equipment that is shared with both refined and unrefined peanut oil product production. Refined oils, as defined by the FDA, do not contain proteinaceous material that would trigger an allergic reaction.

I remembered something. When my son was first diagnosed I remember reading on a board--I think kids with food allergies--that people had had issues with Spectrum when Spectrum had told them they were safe. I wouldn't even consider them personally given they produce peanut, tree nut, and sesame oils. I did find this online, I do remember people have reacted to Spectrum though.

Spectrum has never had an allergy problem arise from the use of its oils. However, some of our oils do share equipment with that which has been used to process nut oils.

Tropical Traditions is just coconut. At the time I was researching for my son it was the only alternative. However, he's sesame anaphylactic too so that may have ruled out some things for us. I looked and don't see any peanut product anymore but even at that time it was produced, packaged and shipped at an entirely different facility. At the time I called their coconut lines/facility were coconut oils only. Call but I really expect it to be, by far, your safest option.