Menu

Two questions for any grammar gurus here

I'm currently writing up something and need some grammar advice on two items.

First, I currently have the following two sentences: "I also think it’s great that you are becoming a foster parent. We know several people who have done that, and it seemed like the experience was very rewarding to them." To me, this looks awkward, and I'm trying to simplify this. One thing I was thinking of was a semi-colon after the first period. That seemed to make it a bit better, but still wasn't perfect.

Second, I have another sentence which states "I think what you said is true for many subjects, but in particular, math and science blah blah blah." Should there be a comma before the word "in" in that sentence?

Thank you.

I'm currently writing up something and need some grammar advice on two items.

First, I currently have the following two sentences: "I also think it’s great that you are becoming a foster parent. We know several people who have done that, and it seemed like the experience was very rewarding to them."

... We know several foster parents, and their experience has been very rewarding.

Second, I have another sentence which states "I think what you said is true for many subjects, but in particular, math and science blah blah blah." Should there be a comma before the word "in" in that sentence?

Why the word "but" in that sentence?

"I think what you said is true for many subjects, especially math and science "