Menu

Anyone used Academy of Science for Kids - Little Professor science kits?

Pegasus

Found these folks for the first time at a local homeschool conference and listened to their spiel. I bought their "Botany 101 Course: Seeds" and I've looked through it but we haven't actually tried it out yet. It looks like they've attempted to include everything we might need for the experiments.

If you've used these, what did you think and what age range do you think they are appropriate for? I think they told me K to 8th grade but I find that hard to believe. It can't be perfectly appropriate for a 5-year-old and a 14-year-old.

If I don't get much of a response, I'll post back once we've used the kit and let you know how it goes!

http://www.academyofscienceforkids.com/

Pegasus

I've written a little about my first impressions here. And a slightly newer post has a few more pictures.

The main difference I see for different ages is the level of involvement of the parent. I have a young one, so I can't really speak to the older age range; but I am modifying somewhat by doing some of the writing for her. And of course, I do think that older children would understand some of the concepts more readily----but for a science loving girl, so far so great even at her level of understanding. I'm thinking she'll remember so much of the hands on when she's older and reading or comes across other similar experiments.

And I have been very much looking for complete kits. (!! :) ) There is literally nothing to buy beside the kit. You just need water for some things. And I can add in library book reading if we want to do that---or internet reading---or not. So far, it's been worth it to me. I have only one child and I don't want to have to buy 12 or more of something I'll never use again, or spend a lot of time collecting materials (again, most of which I'll never use again).........but I do think that if they could somehow package the things that could be used across more than one kit, it might be nice to have that option. But then again, the pick up and go self contained kit is part of the appeal (for me).....And the rate at which a kit is completed could vary.

It is $84 for only 6 weeks? That seems like a lot of money.

I understand your reaction. It's not cheap and to be honest, it was a bit of a splurge for me.

We'll take more than 6 weeks since we'll be working in library books on the subject, a textbook for my older DD, and perhaps some other activities as well.

The one kit we have so far obviously had a lot of thought and planning go into it. I'm paying for this in addition to just the "stuff" that comes in the kit.

Pegasus

I understand your reaction. It's not cheap and to be honest, it was a bit of a splurge for me.

The one kit we have so far obviously had a lot of thought and planning go into it. I'm paying for this in addition to just the "stuff" that comes in the kit.

Pegasus

:iagree:

The log book/journal is great. Everything is easy to follow, do and relatively easy to record (there are a few things that I think older students could record easier than younger). And the chance to do online qiuzzes and earn points and certificates I am including in thinking about the cost. I'll just have to make sure we use that option.

Saw this at a convention. It looked great but, oh my, $85 for a 6-week course? Also, I think I would need a book from the library to make sure I didn't miss anything for a 6th grader (but that's just me), although the lab sheets in the kits did seem fairly comprehensive. I was considering ordering a kit, using the 10% discount card I received at the convention. However, I think these kits are too pricey for what they are.