Menu

I was not prepared. . .

Oh my GAWD. I know. I swear... my 11 year old daughter... saw a function chart on a math quiz... and cried... and broke a pencil.

I yelled. I'm not proud of that; my only defense is that she's been doing this over every subject, every day, since we came home from xmas break. Not only is she teary, she's melodramatic TIMES 10! I yelled and sent her to her room so I could compose myself.

:cursing:

I've got one too: 12 year old boy. He's so temperamental (80% temper and 20% mental). Everything is "boring", especially us! We have two weeks of summer holidays left. I'm sooooo not looking forward to school - and neither is he. Meanwhile, my 24 year old step daughter has announced that she won't be having any teenagers (her son is 6 months old). I reminded her of how revolting she was and wished her luck.

D

I know what you are talking about. Even though I have been a middle school teacher for years, I wasn't prepared for my own 10 year old to hit this phase yet. Lord, please help us all! One minute, she is a lovable kid, and the next she is rolling her eyes like I'm the dumbest person on the planet.

Welcome to the club - I've been an idiot for years! I have offered to get my degree out a couple of times to prove to DS that I do know something. There is that great quote:

"When I was 15 I couldn't believe how dumb my parents were. Now I'm 25, I'm amazed at how much they have learned in such a short time."

D

Going through it with my dd10 as well. She wants to be independent but needs the love and reassurance. Yet she's super catty, so I have to not get on the defensive too much but not allow the disrespect. It's a balancing act requiring good parenting--responsibility and sensitivity to her new emotions raging through her body. And lots of prayer for wisdom in responding. No reacting!

Going through it with my dd10 as well. She wants to be independent but needs the love and reassurance. Yet she's super catty, so I have to not get on the defensive too much but not allow the disrespect. It's a balancing act requiring good parenting--responsibility and sensitivity to her new emotions raging through her body. And lots of prayer for wisdom in responding. No reacting!

I think this is the hardest part for me right now - knowing when to react and when to just let it go. She actually isn't actively disrespectful or rude to her father or me at all - but she is being such a b*&$# to her little sister! It's like she gives herself permission to direct all her angst and frustration there, which of course I can't let happen, it is totally unfair to Mo. So . . . the search for the wisest response continues.