Menu

Federal Petition for a Homeschool Tax Credit

I saw this on Facebook...someone posted the link.

https://petitions.wh...curred/vPCFyvsj

While in my mind I have always loved the idea of a voucher system, I often wonder what limits would come with "free" money. I know that it is frequently reported that homeschooling saves taxpayers billions. Would you want a tax credit for homeschooling?

Taxpayer savings - http://www.savemoneyhomeschooling.com/pp/public/Articles.aspx?aid=13 (please do not judge me on the quality of this link. it was one of the only places showing the breakdown of the money)

I would not want to encourage a financial motivation for people to homeschool. We all know that this would be about getting some of our expenses reimbursed. Other people would see it as a way to make money which would lead to homeschoolers who aren't really homeschooling which would lead to people complaining about that which would lead to more oversight. It is not worth it.

I really don't want the Federal government putting any legislation out there that has to do with homeschooling. The more they legislate it as something other than private school education, the greater the risk of eroding my rights as a de-facto private school in my state. If they want to do a tax credit for non-public education, I am all for it.

Uh, no. First off, the petition is so badly worded it hurts my eyeballs. :laugh:

Second, what would I have to do to *prove* that I'm homeschooling? The possiblities are scarey.

Third, it would not be the federal government's job to consider any sort of tax credit. If anything, that should be done at a local, state level (and I'm not saying it should even be done).

Fourth, even if it were, the federal government is not obligated in any way to help me do something that is a preference, not a necessity.

No I don't wantthefederal government involved in my homeschool. Look at what has happened to public schools when the Feds got involved.

My thoughts exactly. If I wanted the government involved in the schooling of my children I would send them to public school.

Doesn't bother me if they want to do it but I'm not going to petition for it. We take a standard deduction anyway so a tax credit doesn't make any financial difference to us. There are plenty of tax deductions for things like mortgage insurance and having more children that don't come with all kinds of strings attached. Not sure why people are so worried it would come with stipulations. Take mortgage deductions - the government doesn't tell you what house to buy, where to buy it, what improvements to do, etc. but still give a deduction. I do think vouchers would come with too much regulation but I don't think a tax credit or deduction would.

Take mortgage deductions - the government doesn't tell you what house to buy, where to buy it, what improvements to do, etc. but still give a deduction. I do think vouchers would come with too much regulation but I don't think a tax credit or deduction would.

But you have to buy a certain kind of structure with a certain kind of loan - other ways of funding a house/land/building purchase wouldn't qualify for the deduction.

I'm another who thinks the strings attached wouldn't be worth it.

I've never heard that. What types of structures and loan types wouldn't qualify?

Just a way-out-there example: a teepee that is paid off monthly to an individual, not a bank. I know our mortgage company sends us a tax statement each year, but a private loan wouldn't have that, and when we bought the house it was registered as a title with the county, which a non-house structure wouldn't be. Or if you pay for the house in cash, so there's no interest to deduct - actually the gov't is giving an incentive for people to take out a loan. I'm not actually sure of the tax laws, my point was just that it's not as all-encompassing as it seems once you step outside the mainstream, so applying that analogy to homeschooling, we're outside the mainstream.

Here in NZ, each year I receive $800 for the first child and $600 for the second (less and less as you have more kids). There are no strings-- you can buy groceries if you like. Every quarter the Ministry of Education sends out legal letters that you sign in front of a Justice of the Peace stating that you have homeschooled for the prior quarter. That is it. We have no state mandated testing, and the review process of a homeschool only occurs if there has been a legitimate complaint.

Ruth in NZ

I don't want a tax credit b/c I don't want the oversight. With all these people starting to homeschool I think this could happen in the future but often these are the people who won't be around in 2,5,10 years and they don't realize that if the gov't gives money back then you may be told what/how to teach!!! I want my freedom and I am ok with no tax break. It's my choice to be here, so I shouldn't expect any breaks.

No, because in general I don't agree with special-interest tax credits. They make the tax code impossible to navigate, impossible to reform (because I don't want to give up the tax loopholes that I perceive as being most beneficial to me, while my neighbor across the street doesn't want to give up the different set of tax loopholes that he sees as most beneficial to him), and the people who could use it the most benefit the least because tax credits are necessarily regressive. I'd rather the tax code be more fair across the board, have everyone be able to know what their tax liability is up front, take everyone's "rates" down, and let us decide the best way to spend whatever extra money might come from it rather than the government using tax code manipulations to decide for me.

I would not want to encourage a financial motivation for people to homeschool. We all know that this would be about getting some of our expenses reimbursed. Other people would see it as a way to make money which would lead to homeschoolers who aren't really homeschooling which would lead to people complaining about that which would lead to more oversight. It is not worth it.

I see the concern and share it but it seems to me that the same sort of people who would pull their kids from school for a tax credit are likely also in the group that use public school as not much more than a free babysitter. I think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

I think renumeration for homeschool supplies should come from local school districts. I am personally willing to comply with basic requirements for a small amount from my local school district but I really wish that the amount was a bit higher. The homeschool center gets a near full student allotment but I get $400 a year for 1 child and the materials must be purchased new by them (I fill out a request form) non-consumable and be returned. I don't mind returning them to the library for other home schoolers to use but I do mind that most students in the district receive their consumable workbooks etc and I have to pay for ours plus that I can't stretch the money more by using the allotment on used materials. This semester it was all from the MCT site for problemoids, Grammar town series and the Alice, Peter and Mole set so it's not like I can only order the same curriculum the district uses. I have to admit that this little bit makes homeschooling easier for us now that I am not working and we have to mind our nickels more than before. I am all for making homeschooling more accessible for people regardless of income level and I am also all for making public resources that we pay into as homeschoolers available to homeschooling families, but don't see a federal tax credit as the way to do that.

Finally, I do not want any of my tax dollars going towards religious materials. I think a tax credit (which is largely self report with no verification unless some one gets audited) is a bad way to ensure that public funds aren't buying materials for religiously themed science instruction.

I think we should have a tax rebate for all school age kids. The amount would equal what is paid to school a publicly schoed kid. If you want your kid in public school - sign it over to them. If you want to use it elsewhere - do that.

I can't imagine the impact on public schools if parents had to write a check for it. Im suspecting if parents had to turn over more than $10,000 per kid they might demand better quality and more accountability of where "their" money goes. It might revolutionize public education.

If you want it to homeschool - or send your kids to private school - fine.

It'll never happen. *sigh*

I don't think there should be a credit with proof of homeschooling. I think educational materials, tuition, or classes should have a deduction....even for elementary students. I think this deduction should be available to all parents, not just homeschooling parents. Our educational system is in such shambles.....families that invest in their kids and are involved with their educations should be able to deduct those expenses. I think it should carry over to sports and music lessons as well. Maybe more of us could afford those things if there were a tax benefit....

I'm not sure why homeschoolers should have a tax credit when private schoolers don't? Private schoolers are spending a LOT more money, and their tax money still goes to fund the schools. Also, our taxes fund the schools for the betterment of the community, not just so our kids can go to school. My neighbors who don't have kids pay the school taxes as well.

I do think public school kids should have more choices as to where to go to school (in my area, you can only go to the school you're zoned for, and the schools in low income areas are pretty bad).

No way would I be interested. The federal govt' can't fund all the special interest programs as it is.

If done at all it should be at the state level. My state offers a tax deduction(or credit depending on income) on ALL educational items. It is open to anyone with a child in any school for anything from textbooks to pencils to music lessons.

I can see both sides of the issue. We participate in a local public school/homeschool program, and we do so willingly. At moments...but not often...I have understood the "I don't want restrictions" perspective as we drive to our annual week long state testing, or as I once again have to turn in documentation or can't use a certain curriculum.

But $2150 per year per child is an enormous help for us, and at the moment none of the restrictions or "hoops" are ones I find too difficult to meet. Our oversight is actually very little, and since I would likely prefer most secular curriculum anyway, that big issue isn't standing in the way for us.

I think, though, that it may be too late and the cat is already out of the bag with homeschooling. It is my sense that we have reached a tipping point where homeschooling is on the brink of becoming mainstream, and when that fully happens, no one will be able to fly under the radar. That is both good and bad, as homeschooling will be fully accepted, more and more good materials will be available of all flavors, both faith oriented and secular, and more opportunities will be open due to the larger acceptance. It also means it will eventually be more regulated, and sadly, probably too much so in some states. I think we may be past the point of no return on that.

I walk a fine line here, too, because while I think every parent has a right to educate their child, I also think that child deserves to have a decent education, and that should be ensured. Truth is, as dedicated as many parents are to homeschooling their children, and as many as there are who do an outstanding job, there are a considerable number who homeschool in name only, whose greatest motivator is not to have to get up and get their kid on the bus each day. We may not read of many of them on this list, because this is the place many motivated parents come to learn and share, but trust me, they are out there...I have personally met too many of them and been a little shocked myself. What guarantees should be in place that children in those families still receive a decent education? I struggle a lot with this one and the whole oversight debates.

No, because in general I don't agree with special-interest tax credits. They make the tax code impossible to navigate, impossible to reform (because I don't want to give up the tax loopholes that I perceive as being most beneficial to me, while my neighbor across the street doesn't want to give up the different set of tax loopholes that he sees as most beneficial to him), and the people who could use it the most benefit the least because tax credits are necessarily regressive. I'd rather the tax code be more fair across the board, have everyone be able to know what their tax liability is up front, take everyone's "rates" down, and let us decide the best way to spend whatever extra money might come from it rather than the government using tax code manipulations to decide for me.

Agreed. It is a slippery slope. For anyone who has attended even a small-town budget meeting, this would open a huge can of worms. I live in a rural community who's demographic is skewed toward the over 55 crowd. Every year, during education budget discussion, at least one person asks why he/she should pay taxes toward education if they don't have kids in school. While I don't agree with them (I could rebutt that I pay taxes toward special senior services and a center and don't use it nor have family that does), I could see a whole set of arguments come up regarding loopholes, etc. That is just one example of how " special-interest" could get carried away.

As one poster said above, while help for paying for curriculum and supplies would always be nice, I highly value my freedom to educate my child on my terms far more than any tax break or credit could even remotely offer. If the taxes I pay for a school system I don't/can't ( because I homeschool) even use are the price I must pay for the choice to give my child another option to public education, then so be it. That freedom is priceless to me.

Absolutely not. And if a tax refund, rebate, or incentive were offered....I would never take it. We have homeschooled our children for 18 years now, and I estimate that it has cost us over $50,000 to this point (I budget $1,000 per child, per year...sometimes I've paid more, sometimes less). I would gladly pay twice that much to keep the government OUT of my children's education.

Our interest and mortgage are so low that it never made sense to claim it because the standard deduction is much higher. So they are rewarding people for buying more expensive homes I guess. So I can see the annoyance with that!

Or offset the cost of needing to live in an expensive area. The cheapest family homes in my area, purchased with 20% down, would still generate enough interest to warrant itemizing for a big part of the life of the loan.