Menu

Help comparing 4-year cycles in SOTW, MFW, TOG, etc

LAmom

Can anyone compare the years (topic studied) in the curricula I listed? For example, I know SOTW 1 ends at Fall of Rome but MFW year 2 starts in Rome and doesn't get to Fall of Rome until week 13 in RtR. I'd like to see how they all line up, including TOG and possibly Biblioplan. Am I going to mess things up for the cycle if I jump around? For example, I am using SOTW 1 now but am thinking maybe MFW RtR (year 2) next year. I hope to use TOG when my oldest is in 6th or 7th or worse case 9th grade. It is hard to know. I have to come up with a plan and stick to it!

I know I could do it all myself, but perhaps someone has looked into it already or there may be an old thread (but I can't find one...). It would be nice to see them all laid out next to each other.

Thanks!

Do you want dates or just general time periods? I'm going off of memory here...

SOTW 1 goes through the fall of Rome. (Date? not sure--about 400 AD?)

So does BP 1.

So does TOG 1.

MFW CTG goes through the Greeks/OT. (through BC)

I believe BP and SOTW stick pretty closely together for their dates, as do MFW and SOTW for years 3 & 4. TOG goes more quickly, doing 1800's for year 3, and 1900s for year 4. So year 2 is the question.

I think...

BP year 2 goes from fall of Rome to exploration, whereas MFW goes from about 0 AD (beginning of Rome) through the very beginning of exploration (about 1400's-1500's).

TOG 2 from fall of Rome up through 1800, so covers American Revolution.

SOTW2 I don't have in front of me, so not sure.

Year 3--

BP exploration through 1850 (I think)

TOG 1800s

MFW exploration through 1850

SOTW? (same as MFW and BP I think)

Year 4

BP and MFW 1850 to modern

TOG 1900s

SOTW ? I think same as MFW and BP

If you're using SOTW 1 now, you can successfully go into MFW RTR next year even though there might be some overlap. MFW (which uses SOTW 2-4) covers the material very differently than SOTW by itself. RTR begins with the founding of Rome, and a review of the OT prophecies of Christ, how they fit into the era of Rome, the timing of it all, and how it fulfilled those OT prophecies. Thus, the primary emphasis of those first 13-15 weeks covers the time of Christ, the beginning of the Church and spread of the Gospel (including the book of Acts as history and Paul's missionary journeys), the role of the Herods in Christ's, and then later, Christians' persecution, the building up of Rome and its power and how the roads and bridges enabled the Gospel to be spread in light of Acts 1:8, and the, what I might call the "battle of the gods" as one of the main factors in the persecution of Christ was the fact that Caesar and some of his leaders (Herod) were threatened by Christ's power and His claim to be God Incarnate (which the Jews considered blasphemy). So MFW goes a whole different direction than SOTW by itself... MFW is definitely NOT "neutral". Even if you've read some of the history of Ancient Rome in SOTW 1, you'll see that time period from a different perspective in MFW RTR.

But basically it's the time of Christ and the New Testament Church put into context of the "rest of the world" and how one affected the other. SOTW 2 begins at the Middle Ages, which is about week 13-15 of RTR.

Also, MFW puts the chapters from SOTW in chronological order in volumes 2-4. The labels of the MFW programs define pretty clearly where each one begins and ends.

Here's a link showing where another user lined up SOTW 1 with MFW CTG: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/46082-my-schedule-to-use-sotw-1-with-mfw-ctg/ Notice that she didn't schedule the chapters on Rome at all. You could just skip them if you plan to go on to MFW RTR, but don't want to read the overlapping stories again.