Menu

Is all dog urine the same or is there a difference between boy & girl pee?

A neighbor just told me that girl dog pee will kill sod. Hmmmm, he coulda just told me to keep my dog from peeing on the boulevard in front of his house.

We're getting a fence. Fences make good neighbors. No one has a backyard lawn just yet. Sod is in the front.

We a a female dog in a small backyard with sod and she practically killed it. And we had a male dog on a smaller yard with sod and it was fine. (note: two separate events). It wouldn't suprise me if that weren't true to some extend. If you think about where boy dogs pee (trees, fences, your leg;)) They tend to go to the edges of a lawn where a female has to go in the center.

Male dogs tend to save theirs to spread a little urine in many areas. Females tend to relieve themselves all in one spot, so its more concentrated in those spots.
:iagree:

And also, pH may have something to do with it and that is usually diet dependent. Not necessarily a gender thing.

I have 3 males, and two of them were neutered early enough that they still squat to pee like girls, all in one place. And the grass is definitely dead where they do it. Little brown patches. The other one pees on trees, fences, etc., and doesn't really kill anything, lol.

I agree that it is pH dependent. We have two little italian greyhounds, both girls. Wherever they pee on our back lawn, it becomes greener and grows faster, so that we have these bright green mounds of taller grass all over our lawn. I think it's hilarious but have no idea what causes it...maybe their food?