Menu

Hooray! I have a 5 year old and we're doing K4 this year

ondreeuh

It's kind of a weird place to be. He JUST turned 5, and has met the kindy math and reading concepts according to our district's benchmarks, but he doesn't write yet. We finished PAL reading and are slowly working through Saxon Phonics 2, but I think it will quickly get a little too abstract for him. I'm not sure where to go with math besides memorizing "number bonds" since he understands addition & subtraction well. Like I said, it's a weird place to be.

I see you are using Miquon, we really enjoyed it. But hit a block, we started Singapore Math too, so that now we go back and forth. My daughter loves both, she is starting to multiply. Have you seen Rosie's educationunboxed.com videos? I love her way of presenting new concepts to kids with the rods.

I see you are using Miquon, we really enjoyed it. But hit a block, we started Singapore Math too, so that now we go back and forth. My daughter loves both, she is starting to multiply. Have you seen Rosie's educationunboxed.com videos? I love her way of presenting new concepts to kids with the rods.

I haven't gotten very far with Miquon. We are still playing with the rods and working through Orange. We've basically backtracked and re-learned old concepts with rods, which sort of feels uninspiring. I've seen some of Rosie's videos and have played some of the games but not consistently. I have the old Singapore Earlybird, and I start and stop it because I feel like we should do the whole thing, but then we're quickly bored because it is pretty easy. I think what I need to do is skip ahead to something that's a little more challenging. That will be more fun.

I am constantly surprised by what my daughter gets. We are doing multiplication and division in Singapore 2. You can always try moving up, and shelve it if it doesn't fit. I often feel mine jumps ahead when I am not looking. Emma got ahold of her brothers Life of Fred, making him read to her, and did three lessons in Apple's today.

I haven't gotten very far with Miquon. We are still playing with the rods and working through Orange. We've basically backtracked and re-learned old concepts with rods, which sort of feels uninspiring. I've seen some of Rosie's videos and have played some of the games but not consistently. I have the old Singapore Earlybird, and I start and stop it because I feel like we should do the whole thing, but then we're quickly bored because it is pretty easy. I think what I need to do is skip ahead to something that's a little more challenging. That will be more fun.

I wouldn't worry about backing up to the beginning of Miquon. Different programs have different scope and sequence's. After trying several different math programs, we have backed up to the beginning of RightStart and I can really see the wheels turning in my DS's head. The presentation is very different from other programs so I don't feel "behind" by starting at the beginning. I would say to ditch Earlybird if it is boring or not working. It is ok to leave it sitting on the shelf unfinished :)