Menu

Questions...

Silver_Kitten

I'm so glad to see this new board!!

My son is 2, he is counting almost to 20, knows his shapes, and working on his colors. He likes the alphabet but not as much as numbers. He loves books and always has. I'm wondering if getting sonlight p3/4 would be good for him? I'm already working through random workbooks with him when his sister is doing things on her own. I just need something to tell me what to do, if I don't it doesn't get done. I'm also wondering if adding an early math would be okay? Maybe use AAR pre-1 with him to help with his alphabet? I keep thinking he is so young, but he really seems to want to do it.

My son is so different from my daughter, I don't know what to do!

My daughter is almost 5 now, but we started Sonlight P3/4 when she was 2. It is just some great books. She was not ready for all of them, we went on to P 4/5 when she was three, and she wasn't ready for all of them. She started K at 4 with Sonlight A and all the previous books she wasn't ready for. It has been wonderful.

We also used MEP reception, then Singapore KA and KB, then Miquon ( check out educationunboxed.com ) in that order. She is just getting to where she can write now, it never slowed her down, I just scribe for her. She used Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching too. She loves First Language Lessons too.

Try things, if they aren't working or it gets frustrating put it up for a while and try again. No reason to not try though.

He would probably like at least the first trimester of books. The SL P3/4 parent companion is divided into 3 trimesters, each subsequent trimester being more difficult. The SL cores are not based on basic skills like math or LA. The cores are only good books (later on it is history with good books, though). You can always read them later, so I say go for it if you want to buy it. You may have to put away some for next year or even the year after. I used this core for 3yo's, and some of the books were over their heads. I just read and re-read the books until they're ready for the older ones. I am using the next core, P4/5, for K, and it is a little light IMO. I have added a few books here and there. Anyway, good luck!

We didn't do Sonlight as a program, but we did use it as a list for potential books. We also used this list http://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/eyguide/eyreadalouds/ and a few others that I don't have links for. I can't do it right now because my husband needs to get our address on his license (grumble, grumble) but I usually use topics and authors we like as a jumping off point when I search for library books, then get out about 100 at a time. The looming return deadlines are always what force me to sit down on the floor or couch and read them all out loud. No manual required, lol!

Mine love doing workbooks, especially for stuff they know. They aren't as fond of it as a method for learning new things. They love to show off what they've mastered.

We like doing crafty alphabet things. I'll print things out or just draw things myself and then go wild. We do Starfall. We have fridge magnets, although maybe more of those under the fridge than on it. Once we've mastered all the pre-schooly stuff, we move on to Bob books and Funnix.

We don't start Reception until 4, but that's more because we make a big fuss over K4 in our house than the level. A lot of the Reception activities are similar to what you'll find in Anno books, or even if you just ask questions about the illustrations in regular picturebooks.

My dd is about where your ds is :) She loves the P3/4 books...mostly first trimester stuff. They are great books to have on hand anyway and my 6 year old still likes occasional bedtime stories from them :) You might want to add in The Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD for learning letter sounds. My 2nd child would watch that while I worked with my oldest and picked up reading on her own.

My DD(5) started Sonlight P3/4 at 2 years and 3 months old. I found it worked very well if I followed the books in the order they gave them in as she was not ready for the later stories when I started but grew into them. We finished just before she turned 3 and she could listen to all of the stories by then. I am now starting again with my DD who turns 2 in February - she likes to join my older DDs school so I am also doing the ABCJLM 2 year old curriculum with her.

I would also say for a booklist we LOVE the Before Five in a Row books and Five In a Row books. Definitely add more books - they learn so much by you reading to them and you don't have to wait for their motor skills to catch up to do that. :D

Before Five in a Row

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Before+Five+in+a+Row+Literature+Package/BFRFIR/c2ff4a591b765bb5ec43fc2f?subject=2&category=8986

FIAR

http://www.rainbowresource.com/searchspring.php?q=five+in+a+row

When working with really little ones, they can easily learn to read through DVDs, software, flash cards, and native reading just through exposure alone. I started my dd on hooked on phonics DVDs when she was about 2 to catch any holes in her phonics (there were very few). Also, I have had great success using a Melissa & Doug abacus that I painted to mimic a Right Start abacus. Many parents of early learners find it is very effective visually and it gets the kids thinking in fives and tens right away. We used all kinds of manipulatives (and still do) but the abacus is my favorite because it's so self contained with NO MESS to clean up. I don't actually own their materials but I did teach my kids to be "bilingual" by counting the standard way and the Right Start way. It's been really helpful because they *know* "eight ten and six" is the same as 86. They can see it and they exactly what it looks like.

You can also introduce skip counting with it with YouTube videos or songs. As far as curriculum, I started dd on singapore early bird around that age. We took our time with it and did other things as well, but she loved early bird.