Menu

narrow down science for 4th grade

brla

Ok, so, I've been researching all the wonderful science ideas for 4th-6th grade. So many wonderful ideas and wonderful book lists! I've printed the lists and have started a spreadsheet for the ones I like on the rest.

So, here's the thing, I am of two minds for science this year - either will be set up in a spreadsheet format/check-off list and he will do fairly independently, with discussion and help from me. Either way, I will add Christian content with secular. He likes both options, so he's of no help. (I tend to be eclectic CM/WTM/whatever else I am):

1. topical unit studies with kits/activities, living books, science informational books using things like

Hands On Science Series (thinking that could be a "spine" resource per unit)

List of books/encyclopedias on the subject

Some creation-based science resources I already own

Activity kits from lakeshore, Home Science Adventures, young scientist club, magic school bus kits

notebook pages from sites like edhelper, and/or http://www.education.com

OR

2. Gods Design for Chemistry and Ecology as a spine and use topically

add in books/encyclopedia from great lists I've printed and tagged

Maybe a few extra activity kits for interest (see above)

Notebooking pages from above listed sites.

Other considerations: I have 4 more students ranging from pre-k to 7th grade. 7th graders are doing rainbow science next year. Pre-k kid and 2nd grader will do various units together (2nd grader is a little delayed, and pker is a little advanced, they work well together) and will need me for the majority of their school time.

Once I've done these lesson plans, I won't have to do them again for the younger 2, thankfully. So, that's a good thing. Many of the activity resources are reusable too.

So, I would LOVE feedback from any of you who have used any of these or done anything similar. Likes/dislikes, things to watch out for, things to consider, etc.

Thanks!

heather

I think the first idea sounds best!!! We have tried God's Design a couple times and just could not get into it. The text is somewhat dry. Now Hands on Books look great! I had not seen them befoire you posted this. You could use those and use the GD books for refernce material therby giving you your Christian content. This is now an option I have added to our next year plans!!

Wanted to mention this to you http://books.google.com/books/about/The_World_of_Science.html?id=bHdmOR8Slq4C

Since your post I having been looking at the Hands On Physical Science and am seriously thinking about ordering it and The World of Science book. Science is a bust this year so why not ditch it!! Dd9 and 12 could do the experiment in the Hands On book and use the World of Science book for reference and still get a Christina POV.

Wanted to mention this to you http://books.google....id=bHdmOR8Slq4C

Since your post I having been looking at the Hands On Physical Science and am seriously thinking about ordering it and The World of Science book. Science is a bust this year so why not ditch it!! Dd9 and 12 could do the experiment in the Hands On book and use the World of Science book for reference and still get a Christina POV.

I have this!!! I had totally forgotten about it until I checked my spreadsheet. Great idea!

I have this!!! I had totally forgotten about it until I checked my spreadsheet. Great idea!

Oh great! So how do you like it? Seems like if you chose the expermient out of the Hands On book and then used this as a reference, you could pretty much follow TWTM science routine. I am thinking of doing Pysical Science with the kiddos.

Oh great! So how do you like it? Seems like if you chose the expermient out of the Hands On book and then used this as a reference, you could pretty much follow TWTM science routine. I am thinking of doing Pysical Science with the kiddos.

Well, I had literally forgotten about it! It came in a packaged special last year at our convention. So, everything I wasn't using right then got put on the top shelf. So, I just pulled it off today to look at and, guess what?? It has a whole experiment section in the back of the book that goes along with the rest of the book.

I would consider this a "general science" course, but could definately use it as a starting off point if I wanted to add other books. Up there with this book was the Usborne Science Encyclopedia (I don't know how it got up there, but still...). In it, It has "discover for yourself sections" just about every page. Plus the internet links. So, looks like this will complement the World of Science quite nicely!

So, looks like I will only need to coordinate my books and buy a couple that I don't have for his age (most we'll just get whatever's available when we go to the library); decide on any more of the kits (I actually got one today on ebay for $30 (instead of the $70 full price) so that's exciting! ); make my lessons and gather the activity supplies. YAAY!

I still really like the look of those other books too. So, maybe I'll be able to find some used at one of the used curriculum fairs or online. But, I surely won't need them with all the other things I have!

Thanks for reminding me about that book!

Have you seen this yet? I just stumbled upon it while looking at Guest Hollow's Physical Science. there are some neat clips for science. You have to create a free account to see the different videos.

What was it?

I saw her schedule and am using many of the books as my "Library Resource List" for each subject. The World of Science book and the other encyclopedia could totally be used as a "spine" with this instead of buying the apologia or the other one.