Menu

Moving kids BACK to public school?

Looking for pros and cons on sending 9yo back to ps for 5th grade next fall.

Next year his older sis will go to Jr high, at her request. And little sis is doing ps kindergarten because it's so much fun! As such I was putting ds back so he wouldn't be alone here at home.

But he's pushing back. He doesn't want to go. I think there's some fear of change, hs is easier and low stress, he's comfortable with his friends...

But are there good reasons to send him anyway? Only good, sound answers please, pro or con. PS is not the pit of he√√,though it's got its share of negatives.

Thanks!

@just a mouse: thanks for pointing me there. I started the post in a hurry this morning.

@MeghanL: I'm listening to ds, which is why the post. But as his mom I know him, and he makes decisions not out of logic, but comfort and what sounds fun. So I CAN'T base the decision entirely on how he feels.

I think you need to examine your reasons FOR homeschooling. It doesn't sound like you decided to homeschool for any kind of major ideological reason or because you felt PS is inadequate for what you want for your child's education or future. So, why did you choose it in the first place? If those reasons still apply, then continue to homeschool your son. If not, then send him back to PS. But if he doesn't want to return to PS, then why not keep him at home? Of course, if you dislike homeschooling and don't want to do it, then that would be a good enough reason to send him over his objections. I think once you work through the whys...you'll have your answer.

Just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Give him a chance to own his education. If you stick him, against his will, in brick and mortar school, is he going to do his best? Is he going to feel that he "owns" his education (which is where we all want our children to eventually be, right?)? Nevermind *why* he doesn't want to go back - at the end of the day, is he going to give it his all and is he going to feel that he has some control over his education in the public school?

Is there a compromise somewhere? Could you put him in until xmas of next year and then, if he still wants to come home, he has your word that he can?

I would give the same advice (and have) to parents who want to pull their child out of brick and mortar school; children who are thriving there, doing well, and enjoying their education, but the parent has a *dream* to homeschool, so they disregard their child's wishes (barring any pressing reason like safety or poor academics).

I think you need to examine your reasons FOR homeschooling. It doesn't sound like you decided to homeschool for any kind of major ideological reason or because you felt PS is inadequate for what you want for your child's education or future. So, why did you choose it in the first place? If those reasons still apply, then continue to homeschool your son. If not, then send him back to PS. But if he doesn't want to return to PS, then why not keep him at home? Of course, if you dislike homeschooling and don't want to do it, then that would be a good enough reason to send him over his objections. I think once you work through the whys...you'll have your answer.

In addition to what I said, I agree with Diane as well. If you simply do not want to do this anymore, he is better off in public school.

(and I don't mean that negatively - homeschooling isn't my "ideal", lol)

Thank you for chatting with me about this. Ds and I have mapped out pros and cons for both.

I am burnt out though. Not on teaching, but with the battles to keep everyone on task and motivated. I just wasn't good at working with my two, while #3 played around our ankles. Our home wasn't a good atmosphere for learning. Too many distractions that I wasn't good at fighting. And now I'm exhausted internally. No longer the "fun" mom I used to be. And something had to change.

I put my son back in ps when he began his 5th grade year for many reasons, one of which were the fights we were beginning to have about schoolwork. His father was deploying and ds wouldn't have a male role model to tell him to knock off the attitude. (I could tell him, but his reaction to me was vastly different!) I was more concerned about our relationship than I was about his academics. I knew he'd learn where ever he might be, but I wanted to make sure our relationship stayed strong; I didn't want home schooling to get in the way. He wasn't sure he wanted to go and would have preferred staying home. Soon after he began ps, he was able to do fun things we would never have done at home...playing kickball at recess, going to space camp for 3 days, sometimes being the expert on something he'd already learned but the rest of the class was just learning. This year (6th grade), he's been able to take band and participate in science club and math club. There have been times he's been bored or upset and angry, but overall, it was good to move him out of his comfort zone and try something different (for both of us. I was lost at first with the kids all at ps.) It was a difficult decision, but in the end, I was the one who had to decide. While sometimes he wishes he were homeschooled, I think overall the decision I made was good for him. One thing I've needed to back off from is expecting his public school work to be as detailed/thorough as his homeschool work. He does own his work and gets it done on time, but the level I expected from him while homeschooling was higher.

I wish you much success with whatever you decide is best. I'm not sure this is what you are wanting with your post, but thought I'd give you my ideas anyway. :)