Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, non-believers

Guest inoubliable

Even on this board, there's been a lot of chat about the spiritually dangerous aspects of Yoga--among certain believers.

You should go find the thread "things you were once told were evil" or something like that.

That was a wonderful/fascinating/laughable thread!

Here it is!

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/431116-so-things-you-were-once-told-were-evil/page__hl__%20smurfs

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest inoubliable

and you know there are people who dont celebrate xmas because it isnt xtian enough . . not to mention halloween, obviously.

Ok, I did know about Halloween. We don't do much for Halloween but only because it's fricking cold out and I'm not walking about for candy. We just buy candy and get a movie and settle in for a scary family night. A neighbor asked us if we didn't participate in Halloween because of our church. After I picked myself up off the floor, I told her we were atheist and I just didn't care for walking around in the cold. And then she told me about a few neighbors who weren't allowed to go out because their church forbids it. It was an odd conversation.

I didn't know about xmas. That's...bizarre.

Guest inoubliable

Here it is!

http://forums.welltr...ge__hl__ smurfs

Oh good. I need a morning laugh.

Some very good friends of my parents had kids about the ages of me and my siblings so we spent a LOT of time with them when I was growing up. Some of the things on that list... brings back memories. On Valentine's Day, their kids got baskets of goodies from the Valentine Chicken. Because if they said Valentine's Day without the "Saint" added to Valentine, then it was mocking. And since it wasn't "Saint Valentine's Day", they made it into a Day of Love. Brought to you by the Valentine Chicken.

From 1992-96 my father was a much older student at a Protestant christian school. He should have gone to the public university or to the Jesuit school but he had a family obviously and with a wife and three kids, the availability and low cost of family housing in a safe neighborhood was a draw. In addition to bring a dry campus, the professors and students were required to sign statements that they wouldn't drink or dance at all, even off campus. They hauled my dad into see the religious life dean because he hasn't checked into mandatory 2x a week chapel in awhile. My dad explained that when he went it was all geared to being 20 years old and that as a 50 year old married father of 3, sitting around listening to how young men should conduct themselves towards young women was a waste of time he could be studying, working or spending with his kids. He also pointed out that he led a men's group, co-led the choir and went to church weekly at our parish. They decided to waive his chapel requirement.

As of 2012, the no dancing policy was still in effect. I doubt it's been changed since I last heard. This is not a small town bible school or something. It's a full university with degrees in many fields including nursing, teaching, the usual liberal arts, business etc surrounded by a sizable liberal city.

I once had a woman (in a home school co-op we no longer go to) that I shouldn't buy Celestial Tea and have it in my house because the stars on the box were portals for evil spirits. I laughed because I thought she was joking. She was not joking. I couldn't help myself and told her that if a demon did come out as long as it had a steaming cup of tea I was fine with it. I guess I don't have much patience for just plain dumbness.

well, truthfully, xmas is a pagan holiday that they renamed xmas to convince the pagans to come over to xtianity. but i had a SIL who wouldnt put pants on her baby because of a church they were going to. like none of those all-in-one long-john type stuff? had to be tights and skirts even on a baby. i think something with an attached skirt was ok?

it still surprises me to see that my avatar is a kahlua label.

*sputter* Pants on newborn girls is a no-no?? I had no idea about some of this!! I can be an angry atheist when it comes to the RCC, but I feel like I *know* what to be angry about in regards to them. And I can be angry when I see a religion that has very obvious anti-women issues.

No dancing? No music? No pants??? Is this something they interpreted out of the bible or is this something that some crazed pastors insist on out of their own need for control?

Oh sweetie dry small protestant groups are so much more restrictive. At least in the RCC we have our liquor and dancing. I even see women giving sermons at the Jesuit church here on a regular basis as guests and women teach every kind of class imaginable (secular and nuns alike). This is a far cry from the women should be seen and not heard, should ask their husband if they have questions etc that is circling some protestant groups. And frankly most nuns don't even dress as conservatively as the women in some of these protestant churches are called to.

well, truthfully, xmas is a pagan holiday that they renamed xmas to convince the pagans to come over to xtianity. but i had a SIL who wouldnt put pants on her baby because of a church they were going to. like none of those all-in-one long-john type stuff? had to be tights and skirts even on a baby. i think something with an attached skirt was ok?

it still surprises me to see that my avatar is a kahlua label.

Putting tights on a baby is just about the most pointless and futile effort.

I think Tarot cards and Ouiga boards are just silly fun. I have only met the no pants wearing, no Harry Potter, no Halloween, no dancing conservative Christians from homeschooling. Around here sadly most of the homeschooler's fall into this category.

My DD became friends with another homeschooler and while over at her house my DD asked if they had any of the Harry Potter movies and this girl got all wide eyed saying they weren't allowed to watch them or read any of the books. Meanwhile my DD who had no idea there were people who were against HP was shocked by this girls reaction.

Guest inoubliable

This is all so horrifying yet fascinating! I know that the majority of homeschoolers in my city are religious and that's the one big reason that they homeschool. We don't hang out with any of the families, so I don't know what their day-to-day is like, but I know that most of them have "Bible" as a class, and that they often meet up with other homeschoolers within their congregation to do field trips and play dates and park days. I wonder if any of them are... Huh. I think I might know a no-pants family! Whoa.

i like kahlua too. every xmas and birthday (june) hubby gets me a big bottle. mostly i put it in my hot chocolate or coffee. when my daughter was home, sometimes i'd actually make a soy white russian. . . but i just couldnt find a pic small enough. i think i was having technical difficulties. i made that to be a button on fb some years ago.

Guest inoubliable

i like kahlua too. every xmas and birthday (june) hubby gets me a big bottle. mostly i put it in my hot chocolate or coffee. when my daughter was home, sometimes i'd actually make a soy white russian. . . but i just couldnt find a pic small enough. i think i was having technical difficulties. i made that to be a button on fb some years ago.

Mmmmm. Soy white russian. That sounds good!

We usually keep a bottle of Disaronno and some Glenfiddich around for me. DH will drink pretty much anything I put in front of him, so he has no preference. Lately we've been grabbing two bottles of Barefoot whenever it's on sale. I tried some of the Cupcake wine earlier in the week. Not bad.

Pretend you're going to get hit with this next storm (okay, some of you might actually get hit...). You've got the time and money to run out to the liquor store. You'll be snowed in for at least the weekend. What do you pick up??

Pretend you're going to get hit with this next storm (okay, some of you might actually get hit...). You've got the time and money to run out to the liquor store. You'll be snowed in for at least the weekend. What do you pick up??

I don't really drink so I wouldn't be hitting up the liquor store. I'd make sure I had plenty of coffee and coffee creamer, hot cocoa, and some dark chocolate from TJ's

Guest inoubliable

I don't really drink so I wouldn't be hitting up the liquor store. I'd make sure I had plenty of coffee and coffee creamer, hot cocoa, and some dark chocolate from TJ's

Coffee...chocolate... yes, yes. Go on.

DH and I are going out to get some weekend goodies as soon as he gets home. We're having a "just the family weekend". We're looking at Redbox movies and dreaming up snack food and yummy breakfasts.

i'm a tad surprised at angry athiests who dont have a clue how extreme some religious ppl are. no dancing, i've known about that forever. seriously, havent you run across the people who wont put pants on newborn girls because all girls and women have to wear skirts?

No, I never ran across such people, even before I quit believing in a god. At least, not until we started homeschooling. I didn't know there were people who thought humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time, that the earth was 4000-6000 years old, or any of that other nutty stuff. I did know a girl in high school who wasn't allowed to dance because of her religion. I don't recall what religion, but she also had hair that grew almost to her ankles because their women didn't cut their hair. Most people were nice to her (though she was probably bullied by some), and she was a curiosity to most of us. Extreme religion was not the norm in any place I lived. When I was teaching high school I had an LDS student who didn't stand for the pledge and didn't take part in pep rallies or holiday parties. That's about the extent of my exposure to religious extremists until I began homeschooling ds.

Brought to you by the Valentine Chicken.

Valentine Chicken. How romantic. :smilielol5:

I once had a woman (in a home school co-op we no longer go to) that I shouldn't buy Celestial Tea and have it in my house because the stars on the box were portals for evil spirits. I laughed because I thought she was joking. She was not joking. I couldn't help myself and told her that if a demon did come out as long as it had a steaming cup of tea I was fine with it. I guess I don't have much patience for just plain dumbness.

I have heard about those kinds of things, but only on the news. I never knew anyone irl who thought certain companies were run by satanic cults or had occult logos, etc.

A case of a full bodied red wine, just in case it turned out to be a long weekend. And some calorie dense food... say... cheese.

Guest inoubliable

A case of a full bodied red wine, just in case it turned out to be a long weekend. And some calorie dense food... say... cheese.

Cheese... mmmm. Cheesecake? Did I hear someone mention cheesecake? It's now on my list. One of you must have said it.

Recommendations for the red wine? We've been sticking with riesling lately.

We've been enjoying Evodia Old Vines Garnacha, currently on the end cap at our local Whole Foods. Cheap and very good.

We usually keep a bottle of Disaronno

Two of my favorite Disaronno drinks are Chocolate Almond and Creamsicle. I've seen several recipes, but the ones I remember from the 80's are:

Chocolate Almond: Creme de Cacao, amaretto, and half & half. I've seen recipes that use Irish cream instead of half & half, which would probably be good too.

Creamsicle: amaretto, orange juice, half & half. Some recipes use vodka. I don't like vodka, but if you do, it's probably good.

Both are mixed over ice, shaken well, then strained into a rocks glass. Yum!

Putting tights on a baby is just about the most pointless and futile effort.

And then there are the people (including some on this board) who add shorts over the tights, under the dress, because the babies might crawl around or not sit "modestly" and people might see the top of their tights. Shorts, tights, diapers, and a dress to protect the modesty of a 1 year old???

I find that frightening.

Jackie

Guest inoubliable

We've been enjoying Evodia Old Vines Garnacha, currently on the end cap at our local Whole Foods. Cheap and very good.

No Whole Foods here, so I'll have to look around and see if I can find it. Looks like it's available through Amazon, though...Interesting.

Two of my favorite Disaronno drinks are Chocolate Almond and Creamsicle. I've seen several recipes, but the ones I remember from the 80's are:

Chocolate Almond: Creme de Cacao, amaretto, and half & half. I've seen recipes that use Irish cream instead of half & half, which would probably be good too.

Creamsicle: amaretto, orange juice, half & half. Some recipes use vodka. I don't like vodka, but if you do, it's probably good.

Both are mixed over ice, shaken well, then strained into a rocks glass. Yum!

Ohhhh. Those both sound delicious! I usually just throw it together with sour mix and enjoy. That Creamsicle recipe, though... :drool5:

Guest inoubliable

And then there are the people (including some on this board) who add shorts over the tights, under the dress, because the babies might crawl around or not sit "modestly" and people might see the top of their tights. Shorts, tights, diapers, and a dress to protect the modesty of a 1 year old???

I find that frightening.

Jackie

That IS frightening. I do remember an incident with a baby girl that I babysat as a teen. She was less than a year old and had somehow gotten loose in her baby swing (not on my watch, btw) and she fell/slid forward in such a way that she got caught between the ground and the swing. Before anyone could do anything, somehow she fractured her hip? Pelvis? I can't be sure anymore. She was in a cast from her waist down for months. There was a cutout in the cast for necessary bodily functions. The first Sunday after that happened, we were in church (and this little girl was a church family - her father was a deacon there) and I remember a few people making snide comments about how the parents must not be taking their parenting role very seriously. I was upset. I knew this family. They'd waited years to adopt and were fantastic parents. Turned out that some people had caught a glimpse of the little girl's cutout in her cast. It was such a bulky cast, and it was in the thick of the summertime, that she was in a dress. She happened to have been sat in her stroller in a way that if you looked HARD ENOUGH, you could see that there was a cutout, and could see beyond. Seriously? Who looks in that area that hard?? There was a discussion over coffee and donuts social about who was going to approach the parents and insist that the little girl wear tights next Sunday.

Guest inoubliable

i accidentally found a virginia-made chocolate wine which i ended up loving! noche something?

Well now I've got some googlin' to do! Have you ever toured any of the Virginia wineries? I've lived here practically my entire life and I never have!

No Whole Foods here, so I'll have to look around and see if I can find it. Looks like it's available through Amazon, though...Interesting.

Try here.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/evodia+old+vines+garnacha/-/usa/usd

Ohhhh. Well, the Hinduism, okay. I get that now. But...the occult? Do Christians see Hinduism as the occult??

I'm starting to see that the conservative Christians are....different..from the RCC in ways that I hadn't expected.

Growing up my mom and I used to play with a Oujia board (my family is RCC and not the cafeteria type either). We just viewed it as a game - for fun. Well, one time I pulled it out to play with a neighbor girl, and all h*ll broke lose when her mom found out. Told my mom she needed to burn the board, throwing it away wasn't good enough, it would lead to demonic possession.. My mom used to tell my fortune and read tea leaves - all in fun. Of course there are all types of Catholics; we were definitely progressives. Demonic possession was due to mental illness or faked and telling fortunes was a fun game.

I was on a Malbec kick before I got pregnant. I can't remember a particular winery, though...it's been several months since I've had occasion tp buy a bottle. But I don't remember one I *didn't* like.

If I were stocking up for a snowstorm, a bottle or two of malbec with a nice big bottle of vodka as back-up would be my go-to. I big fat puffy heart vodka. Vodka with lemonade. Vodka with cranberry. Vodka. Just vodka. And then I would probably bake three different kinds of cookies and some cupcakes.

I've been meaning to post this for a while. There is often talk about how we can possibly know what's right without religious beliefs that tell us right from wrong. This happened last year. My atheist son made the right choice.

I took ds to a craft and hobby store to try and find a replacement rotor for his remote control helicopter. This isn't a cheap RC helicopter, but a decent one his brother gave him for Christmas. We quickly found out the store didn't carry it, and I was ready to leave. Ds however, found a comfortable looking porch swing, and just had to try it out. A few minutes later he was calling to me, in that "You need to come here" tone. Just "Mom." very quietly and nothing else.

Sitting next to him on the swing was a wallet with a wad of cash inside. From a quick look, I estimated about $75. Unfortunately there was no ID. I could tell by the look of the wallet that it probably belonged to a pre-teen or young teen girl. I figured it was Christmas money (this happened last January). Ds was concerned that we wouldn't be able to find the owner and asked where we should turn it in.

I requested to speak with a manager since I didn't want to tell anyone else (the lack of ID concerned me). The manager took my name and number and thanked us for turning it in. She said she remembered some teenage girls sitting in the swing earlier that day. Ds wondered if someone at the store might keep it. I told him that was a possibility but there was nothing we could do about it.

About a week later, I received a phone call from a woman. She was the mother of the girl who lost the wallet. They had been trying to retrace their steps the day it was lost, and finally remembered the craft store. They did not expect to find it, but decided to check anyway. The store manager gave her our number and she called to thank me. When I told her it was my teenage son and not me who turned it, she was even more thankful.

I was so proud of him. He could have pocketed that money, and as long as he spent it slowly, dh and I would never have known. I don't know if that thought crossed his mind, but it doesn't matter. What matters was his final decision.

He had no god or holy book telling him what to do. Just empathy (What if I lost MY wallet?) and and a sense of doing the right thing. I think this is a perfect example of "good without god".

ETA: I am by no means trying to make him sound perfect. He's a typical teen in many ways, including teen selfishness. When it came down to a real choice of doing the right thing though, he chose right. My heart was pretty swollen with pride at the time.

i havent done a wine tour. i've thought about it. but, as petty as it might sound, dh did some wine tours with his ex . .the one he spent years telling me how beautiful she was, how much prettier she was than I am. even tho she's since died of cancer, i'm still a bit touchy . . .

I'm learning to read tarot cards. I think of it like a Harry Potter pensieve. It can get thoughts out of your head and onto the table where you can have a proper look at them. I'm far less concerned about being right than being useful. I like to be right! But if I'm not, I've still given the querent something to think about. I'm a fan of thinking.

Things that are evil - yes, my late MIL used to think that yoga was dangerous. Her thought was basically that if you totally relax and empty your mind, devils or demons of some kind would invade you. Same with any kind of meditation or mind focus other than Christian prayer.

Tarot - I had my tarot cards read once, and it was a pleasant experience. I told the person that I didn't believe in the cards, but they said that was fine, they just wanted somebody to practice on. How it worked on that occasion was that the cards coming up acted as prompts for me to reflect on various facets of my life. So yeah, harmless and even useful in that context, but I wouldn't pay money for it or expect it to predict the future.

@Kathy - kudos to your son, but not surprised. (I find the whole "If you don't have religion you can't have any morals. Oh and if you do have morals, that is only because you plagiarized them from the Ten Commandments!" line kind of hilarious anyway.)

@dbmamaz - (((hugs))) And now I fancy Kahlua (which I'm not going to have because we're about to eat breakfast).

This thread is moving so fast. Are there more of us than there used to be?

Ouch, dbmamaz! :(

I am craving red wine and dark chocolate now! At least I have chocolate covered - went to Trader Joe's yesterday and bought $30 worth of chocolate. Which is a fair amount at TJ's! :D

I grew up pretty New-Agey. With my mom, at least (Dad and step-more are pretty spiritually devoid.)

Anyone ever heard of Eckankar? My mom was involved for a while. I mostly remember the chanting of Hu and the talk of planes of enlightenment. After she left that, she was more into scream therapy and rebirthing and healing colored bottles of something. It was a lot to take at times (I'm super logical, but my mom was my heart, so I kept it open to her influences) but the main thing was she believed in taking charge of your own healing, spirituality, and life, and I have always held firm to that.

She passed away from cancer when I was 23, and that is the only spiritual guidance I've ever missed. Even when I didn't believe exactly as she did, just having her force in my life was important to my views on life.

Guest inoubliable

dbmamaz - :grouphug: One of these days, we'll have to get together and have a drink. Or coffee. Or something.

tex-bex - never heard of Eckankar. Sounds...fun. LOL. I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

thanks for the sympathies, but i was all confused, i had to go and read what i said . cuz right now the only thing bothering me is the darn knee surgery. i want recovery to be OVER already! and kahlua for breakfast . . .well, it goes well in coffee!

i dont get out much . . food allergies and all . . . and dont we live on opposite sides of the state? i'm feeling less sure about going to the conference too, with this knee recovery slower than I want it and all.

but yeah, dh is pretty clueless. i have been avoiding that 'does your dh praise you' or whatever thread . . cuz dh says something nice like that maybe 3 times a year and it always surprises me. Ok, that might be a slight exaggeration, because he probably thanks me for a meal he esp likes 3 times a year and then praises or thanks me for something else another 1-2 times? he's the silent type. kinda drives me nuts. but he's so much better than the ex i'm not complaining. much.

I was on a Malbec kick before I got pregnant. I can't remember a particular winery, though...it's been several months since I've had occasion tp buy a bottle. But I don't remember one I *didn't* like.

If I were stocking up for a snowstorm, a bottle or two of malbec with a nice big bottle of vodka as back-up would be my go-to. I big fat puffy heart vodka. Vodka with lemonade. Vodka with cranberry. Vodka. Just vodka. And then I would probably bake three different kinds of cookies and some cupcakes.

I'm laughing because my SIL and I kid each other about our alcohol preferences. I like beer and she likes wine or vodka. :p

Guest inoubliable

thanks for the sympathies, but i was all confused, i had to go and read what i said . cuz right now the only thing bothering me is the darn knee surgery. i want recovery to be OVER already! and kahlua for breakfast . . .well, it goes well in coffee!

i dont get out much . . food allergies and all . . . and dont we live on opposite sides of the state? i'm feeling less sure about going to the conference too, with this knee recovery slower than I want it and all.

I think I'd be going crazy having to recover from a knee surgery! You're pretty much stuck in one spot for a great deal of it, aren't you? :( Ugh.

Not quite opposite. About 2.5 hours from me. We like going to Maymont once in a while so we do get down that way. Which conference?? Am I missing a conference?

:grouphug: :grouphug: That thread has my hackles raised too, actually. No marriage is perfect, is all I'm going to say. My DH is a lovely lovely man, but we've definitely had our issues in the almost 11 years of being together.

Guest inoubliable

Was this the thread where there was a discussion about how evil spirits could travel on a used book, thus the UPS guy could deliver demons to your home?

Bwahahahhahahaah. Whaaat???

Was this the thread where there was a discussion about how evil spirits could travel on a used book, thus the UPS guy could deliver demons to your home?

Ontrac would end up delivering the evil spirits to the wrong home.

No, I never ran across such people, even before I quit believing in a god. At least, not until we started homeschooling. I didn't know there were people who thought humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time, that the earth was 4000-6000 years old, or any of that other nutty stuff. I did know a girl in high school who wasn't allowed to dance because of her religion. I don't recall what religion, but she also had hair that grew almost to her ankles because their women didn't cut their hair. Most people were nice to her (though she was probably bullied by some), and she was a curiosity to most of us. Extreme religion was not the norm in any place I lived. When I was teaching high school I had an LDS student who didn't stand for the pledge and didn't take part in pep rallies or holiday parties. That's about the extent of my exposure to religious extremists until I began homeschooling ds.

I did not run across these types of christians until homeschooling either. Homeschooling really opened my eyes to the Christian faith and how damaging it is. I'd probably still a Christian today if not for the HSing groups I joined and this forum.

It's conflicting for me, though, because I have Christian friends IRL. They don't talk about it and they are completely normal. It's simply not an issue.

Tarot Cards: I have never seen a deck in my life. Things like tarot cards, fortune telling, crystals, Ouiji (sp?) boards, hypnotism, and yoga were forbidden because they are demonic. Of course, I don't believe that anymore and think they would be pretty harmless. Unless you got a bad fortune and made it a self fulfilling prophecy.

We have a new agey bookstore here which sells those types of things but I've never set foot into it. I've always been interested in what was inside and told DH I'd like to check it out now. :)

I think it was about someone's home that possibly had a demon floating around? People were explaining how it could have entered the home. I have a terrible memory, but I'm pretty sure it was here.

Yes, demons have many ways to enter your house or even body. There was a time in my life when I was very interested in Buddhism (still am) so I had quite a few books about it in my house. I was told to throw them all away because that could be an invitation for demons.

Guest inoubliable

Oh. I've never been to it. I saw it mentioned somewhere. Could have been here. I'm not so sure what all the hype is about the homeschooling conventions. Is it more of a getaway kind of thing? I see that you can do some shopping there. Are there significant savings to buying curricula at these types of things?

Oh. I've never been to it. I saw it mentioned somewhere. Could have been here. I'm not so sure what all the hype is about the homeschooling conventions. Is it more of a getaway kind of thing? I see that you can do some shopping there. Are there significant savings to buying curricula at these types of things?

I tbink conventions served a purpose before there was so much information online. Some people still like to go for a hands on look at curricula or to be around other homeschoolers. I never felt the need to go.

but yeah, dh is pretty clueless. i have been avoiding that 'does your dh praise you' or whatever thread . . cuz dh says something nice like that maybe 3 times a year and it always surprises me. Ok, that might be a slight exaggeration, because he probably thanks me for a meal he esp likes 3 times a year and then praises or thanks me for something else another 1-2 times? he's the silent type. kinda drives me nuts. but he's so much better than the ex i'm not complaining. much.

Husbands can be trained. Mine used to be very sparing with the nice things he said. His understanding was that by simply staying married to me, he was amply demonstrating that he loved, respected and appreciated me. I told him in no uncertain terms that I do not feel loved just because he hasn't moved out yet, and I need to actually hear positive things several times a day, and he got a lot better.

I have tried for years to tell my husband how much I need to be touched outside of the bedroom. But what came easy our first two years is now impossible. If I make a huge stink, he's good for a day. He's actually a little better on vacation, so I know part of it is depression . . .praise actually makes me uncomfortable most of the time cuz my mom was such a liar I don't trust praise at all. I just want to get as much affection as the cats . . .