Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, non-believers

Guest inoubliable

I don't. It just means we have thoroughly examined religion(s) and have come to the logical conclusion that it is all man made and we chose to follow the evidence and rise above superstition. At least I do. I must investigate something before I can accept or decline a thing.

True for me as well. I am very evidence-based.

While I was drinking coffee and coming to this morning, I took a few BeliefNet quizzes. Secular humanist, liberal, Gandhi peacemaker... Yeah, they have me pegged, I think. :lol: Though there was the disturbing movie quiz that seems to think I'm a chick flick girl. Uh, no, I'm definitely a documentary, something that makes you think girl, but the questions seemed mainly to focus on romance/comedy/action/suspense. Given those choices, I'm a comedy or suspense.

So now I'll just slink off and question everything I know about myself, since if they could be wrong about my movie preferences, what if they're wrong about everything else? :svengo:

;)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who had a folk art painted toilet seat that said "Seeing an angel will cure constipation!" It cited the book of Daniel. I actually knew the story it was referencing!

I give up! I googled. I even went to the Skeptic's Annotated Bible, which lists absurdities in the Bible. I can't find it. :D

I give up! I googled. I even went to the Skeptic's Annotated Bible, which lists absurdities in the Bible. I can't find it. :D

It's the story of the hand writing on the wall. In some of the versions - King James, I suppose - it says that when the witnesses saw the hand appear, their "knees knocked" and their "bowels moved." I think the scholars disagree on want this meant.

Guest inoubliable

http://www.beliefnet...zzes/index.aspx

I think "what's your faith" is the Belief-o-matic one. Which then led to the Politic-o-matic one, and so on... I drink a lot of coffee.

So far I am...a Secular Humanist. Who knew? :laugh:

Liberal. Barack Obama Liberal, even. I think? Why is his name there? Is there a Joe Biden type of liberal, too?

I need more coffee. And a grilled cheese sandwich. And then a nap while I listen to the rain.

I keep going back to Kay's thread thinking there will be an update saying they found out it was all a giant mistake...

With an exception of one unschooling group, I can't find any secular homeschool groups here and we live on a liberal coast. I need to find park dates or some other social outlet for my kids next year. Any thoughts how to go about meeting homeschoolers? You can see I read the socialization thread.

Liberal. Barack Obama Liberal, even. I think? Why is his name there? Is there a Joe Biden type of liberal, too?

I need more coffee. And a grilled cheese sandwich. And then a nap while I listen to the rain.

I'm always secular humanist or Quaker in the belief-o-matic. I'm not a Quaker, but I have hung out at a few meetings and, if I did ever decide to believe something, Quakerism would be it. It's about the only religion I have any respect for (actually, I have a lot of respect for the Quakers I know, and their religious community locally).

I wanna be a Joe Biden liberal. Yeah, he puts his foot in his mouth sometimes, but at least he puts it out there and tells it how it is. That's how I roll.

We're eating grilled cheese and tomato soup right now...and if I can catch up on work, a nap is next on the agenda! It's rainy here, too.

Guest inoubliable

I keep going back to Kay's thread thinking there will be an update saying they found out it was all a giant mistake...

With an exception of one unschooling group, I can't find any secular homeschool groups here and we live on a liberal coast. I need to find park dates or some other social outlet for my kids next year. Any thoughts how to go about meeting homeschoolers? You can see I read the socialization thread.

Same. I can't even post there. I have no words. I just check it every 100 new replies or so and get sadder and sadder. :crying:

No secular homeschool groups where I am, either. Have you checked Yahoo? That's usually the first recommendation I get. "See if there's a local Yahoo group.' Or maybe you could start something using MeetUp?

http://www.beliefnet...zzes/index.aspx

I think "what's your faith" is the Belief-o-matic one. Which then led to the Politic-o-matic one, and so on... I drink a lot of coffee.

Last time I tried Belief-o-matic, I got "Error: zero sized object."

I guess it works.

Same. I can't even post there. I have no words. I just check it every 100 new replies or so and get sadder and sadder. :crying:

No secular homeschool groups where I am, either. Have you checked Yahoo? That's usually the first recommendation I get. "See if there's a local Yahoo group.' Or maybe you could start something using MeetUp?

I just signed up for yahoo group. Thanks!

Things don't happen for a reason. Well, yes actually in a way they do. For example I have celiac disease because I 1) carry the genes 2) had something trigger said genes to turn on. The second part is still being worked on by science. Exactly what and how do the genes trigger? We don't know yet. I do know it's NOT because it's God's way of getting me to eat healthier. It is NOT a blessing in disguise. (Yes, I've been told this more than once)

I don't get the "things happen for a reason" mentality. A person makes the best of a situation because you have to. That's what life is about. Things happen and then you deal with it. It's not preordained. There's no "reason" behind events.

My dad had a heart attack because he had heart disease. It was not a sign from God to take better care of himself.

My c-section did not happen so that I would become a better advocate for myself. There was no preordained reason for my c-section. Event A led to event B and resulted in event C. I then learned from those experiences and made the best out of the situation.

A friend of mine had a sale fall through. She was really counting on it. She said, "Oh, well. Everything happens for a reason." Yeah, the reason the sale fell through is because the buyer changed his mind. Now, she will have to deal with the change of plans the best she can. If something better or worse comes along it's not due to this sale falling through.

I once read in a book (a fiction book strangely enough) and there was an outbreak of plague. People were dieing everywhere. The priest yelled out, "Why?!" and the other character responded with, "The question is not why but how." That stuck with me. Not why but how. The how question is answerable (even if we don't know the answer and won't know for 1,000 years) while the why question is not.

I've taken these before, but just tried it again. As usual, I'm a Secular Humanist. The political test didn't give me a name but it said "It's no secret that you're a liberal." In the past there was a test that placed you on a map, and I often scored as a Ted Kennedy liberal.

It's raining here too KK.

Guest inoubliable

It's raining here too KK.

I imagine Florida (why?? WHY do I always type "Floriday" a few times before I type it correctly??) rain to be like some Amazonian rainforest type of rain. I have no idea why. LOL. Our rain is off and on. It's nice to pretend that it's a nice summer storm. I can't wait until it's summertime and I can open the back door and listen to the rain.

For Easter (I look up the date every year) we go to a community egg hunt, they have another event my parents often participate in, so we hang out with them after. We also color eggs, have an egg hunt and basket with candy and a toy, and dinner with my parents. Sprinkle in a few bunnies, some spring equinox books, and we are done.

I imagine Florida (why?? WHY do I always type "Floriday" a few times before I type it correctly??) rain to be like some Amazonian rainforest type of rain. I have no idea why. LOL.

Well, I guess our summer rainstorms are kind of like that. It rains hard and fast to the point where you can't even see. Drivers often pull off the road until it slows down. Thunder and lightning make it seem even wilder. It doesn't last long though. Ten to fifteen minutes is common, though it can last as long as half an hour. As soon as it's over the sun comes out and steam rises from the ground. Most people like summer rain because it cools you off. Here, rain only makes it worse - more humid.

Today though, is winter rain. Winter rain though rare, is light and lasts all day.

Have you thought about starting your own group on Meet Up? The girl who started the group I belong to did that. I've been lucky enough to have been there from the beginning (not quite a year ago) and we have a great group of around six families who are regulars, but a few other sometimers.

It is hard to find a group to fit in with. I belong to a larger group too, probably around 100 families. I belong to that group strictly for field trip opportunities. I went to one social gathering and that was enough for me. TBH, sometimes I even get annoyed on the field trips, but at least we can just wander off. :)

Last time I tried Belief-o-matic, I got "Error: zero sized object."

I guess it works.

:lol:

Yeah, I'm an Obama liberal (and it's no secret). If you go to the email it sends you, it will take you back to the page with all the breakdowns are.

:lol:

Yeah, I'm an Obama liberal (and it's no secret). If you go to the email it sends you, it will take you back to the page with all the breakdowns are.

Thanks. I had the email sent to my junk mail address. I just checked, and I'm an Obama liberal. That's odd though because he's not all that liberal, and as I said, I scored as a Ted Kennedy liberal in the past. I guess because it was a 2012 election quiz they used current politicians.

I am Secular Humanist too. :)

Thanks. I had the email sent to my junk mail address. I just checked, and I'm an Obama liberal. That's odd though because he's not all that liberal, and as I said, I scored as a Ted Kennedy liberal in the past. I guess because it was a 2012 election quiz they used current politicians.

I was thinking the same thing. Like :confused: what is THAT supposed to mean?

Guest inoubliable

:willy_nilly:

I'm having one of those days!

:grouphug:

I'm having one of those days that makes me plot how best to run away.

Maybe tomorrow will be peaceful and calm.

Kay.

It breaks my heart to think of leaving my own son so soon. Hers is only 10. A grieving child is one of the saddest things in the world. I have no more words. It's too sad. That is all. Too sad.

I'm surrounded by sadness IRL, too. I don't want to go into it, though. I feel so incredibly guilty because, for me, there have been some really wonderful things that have happened in the last couple of weeks, and I am very content in my marriage and motherhood at the moment. It feels wrong to have nice things in my life when those around me are falling apart. I think I've cried every night the past week and the guilt is just crushing sometimes.

I feel like I need to step away from it all for a little while, just to collect myself. A friend wants me to go to the city on Friday to help her shop for some new clothes (she recently lost a lot of weight). I think I may do that, just to get away for a bit and re-collect myself.

Guest inoubliable

Kay.

It breaks my heart to think of leaving my own son so soon. Hers is only 10. A grieving child is one of the saddest things in the world. I have no more words. It's too sad. That is all. Too sad.

I'm surrounded by sadness IRL, too. I don't want to go into it, though. I feel so incredibly guilty because, for me, there have been some really wonderful things that have happened in the last couple of weeks, and I am very content in my marriage and motherhood at the moment. It feels wrong to have nice things in my life when those around me are falling apart. I think I've cried every night the past week and the guilt is just crushing sometimes.

I feel like I need to step away from it all for a little while, just to collect myself. A friend wants me to go to the city on Friday to help her shop for some new clothes (she recently lost a lot of weight). I think I may do that, just to get away for a bit and re-collect myself.

I think this is where I'm at, as well. Ever since the news broke, I've had recurring thoughts of how I'd feel if I were leaving behind my young sons and my husband. I am not dealing with this news very well. I end up in tears every time I check in on that thread or think of the situation.

IRL, things are sad, for me too. Every time I turn around someone is very ill, or lost a job, or facing a marital crisis. And I'm feeling some guilt, too, because my life apart from these sad things is going so wonderfully well. :(

Peace to you, Audrey. I hope the spring brings all of us some peace.

Dot, i know how you feel .. . it was so painful to deal with when i finally got past it . .and i didnt even have surgery in the abdomen! its just those darn drugs!

today was a funny spring rain. it was raining steadily in the morning, and then was hard enough that i thought there was water running in the kitchen. then the sun peeked out so I sent the boys out to walk the dog around the block . . and it was raining so hard i could hear it a few minutes later. poor boys were soaked!!

now the sun is shining again . ..

We have nothing but rain around here. Last year we had rain every day till June. This is the tradeoff to having everything be green all year long.

I know it may not have been meant as such, but I'm going to take this as a response to my previous post and thank you for the profound and beautiful truth in it.

Kay.

This is just what I have done, Audrey. I took a big giant step back from everything I could.

Deaths, divorces, serious, terrible illnesses. I've just kinda coccooned myself in my own little bubble. I let my boys and dh in. That's it. Even my mom is too sad right now. I just can't take it. I like my bubble. We have episodes of Lost Girl and lost of Harry Potter movies. We have popcorn and cake. I'm staying in my bubble for a bit.

During my pregnancy I borrowed all maternity clothes & then nursing clothes from a good friend, Robyn. We used to go to summer camp together. I had a miserable pregnancy...throwing up regularly throughout it, just nasty. Robyn had had colon cancer at 26 when she had a 6 month old. They treated it & she was doing well. It recurred. So during my pregnancy, when I was wearing her clothes and then nursing and wearing her clothes (really nice stuff... the best I've probably ever dressed... she was going to have a lot of kids & she was a great mom)... I said to her that I felt guilty for complaining and feeling bad about my pregnancy sickness while she was dealing with her chemo for the 2nd time. She told me she was perfectly fine with me feeling bad and complaining... just because she was dealing with more didn't negate my misery... it wasn't a competition. That made me feel a lot better. Robyn died at 32, leaving behind a 6 year old daughter. I'm still pissed about her death.

But the thing I'm working towards... and reminding myself with Kay's prognosis... is how important it is to take note of the joys of life and how essential it is to appreciate the moments that are good...

I spent some time reading aloud to my son on Monday, then I let him read his book and I held him.

Enjoy the nice things you have. Appreciate them. Don't take them for granted.

My son has severe food allergies. When I'm feeling particularly bitter about them, I think how amazingly lucky I am to be in a first world country and have money for his insurance and medical care (okay... maybe not such a first world country). I hear him giggle at a cartoon and my heart is filled. "No day but today."

:grouphug:

Um, has anyone noticed that we have Social Groups under our names now? And there is a tab for them up top?

So... who's going to set up this thread on the Social Groups?

Whaaaa??? Looky there!! Yay! :hurray:

Though, interestingly, when you go to social groups, the ones under our names aren't there. Weird.

Guest inoubliable

Um, has anyone noticed that we have Social Groups under our names now? And there is a tab for them up top?

So... who's going to set up this thread on the Social Groups?

I'm on it. :)