Menu

Literature for 12yo about slavery?

Wendi

Is there an edited version of Uncle Tom's Cabin? Or would Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass be appropriate? Any other suggestions for giving ds a vivid picture of life as a slave in the American south?

Thanks,

Wendi

40 Acres and Maybe a Mule

Escape from Slavery

The Underground Railroad for Kids: From Slavery to Freedom with 21 Activities

FREDERICK DOUGLASS: THE LAST DAYS OF SLAVERY

MANY THOUSANDS GONE: AFRICAN AMERICANS FROM SLAVERY TO FREEDOM

CHRISTMAS IN THE BIG HOUSE, CHRISTMAS IN THE QUARTERS

I THOUGHT MY SOUL WOULD RISE AND FLY: THE DIARY OF PATSY, A FREED GIRL (DEAR AMERICA)

Is there an edited version of Uncle Tom's Cabin? Or would Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass be appropriate? Any other suggestions for giving ds a vivid picture of life as a slave in the American south?

Thanks,

Wendi

I have Uncle Tom's Cabin for Young Folks that I downloaded from the Gutenberg website and then formatted to make it easier to read. I can email it to you if you'd like a copy.

Amos Fortune, Free Man, is very good; albeit a bit artificially positive. It is about the Northern slavery experience.

"Life on a Southern Plantationp--1843" covers the Southern slavery experience. It is more factual than literary, but it's good.

"Go Free or Die" is about Harriet Tubman and is good.

"The Last Safe House" is outstanding.

I have not read the children's version of Uncle Tom's Cabin, but would not let my 12 yo DD read the original at this point as it is way too harrowing. I'm glad that I finally read it this year, though.

I think it is safe to say that reading any one of Fredrick Douglass' autobiographies (I especially liked the second, and less famous, "My Bondage and My Freedom") could change a young person's life forever. Not only does it give an insight into the institution of slavery, but--perhaps as importantly--his story is absolutely inspirational in showing that education, self-betterment, and acting on the highest an most noble principles in opposing evil, can transform a human being.

You would be hard put to find a more eloquent writer than Mr Douglass, or a person with more to offer to a young mind. IMO reading one of his biographies is "essential" for any young person's education.

Also, Harriet Jacobs "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl" is one of the rare slave narratives written by a woman, and is quite powerful. The themes do touch on sexual exploitation by slave-masters, but I don't recall anything a twelve year-old young man (or young girl) ought not hear. I don't recall anything overly explicit in this tale (but it has been some time since I've read this work).

HTH

Bill

To Be a Slave by Julius Lester. It is based on personal accounts from people who lived through slavery, it's graphic and would definitely paint a very vivid picture of what it was like to be a slave. It's a young adult book and at a good reading level for a 12 yr old.

I just wanted to second this one. It's somewhat brutal, at times, and I only read a few selections to my younger children, but for a 12yo, I think it's appropriate (if tough to face). It's an excellent resource.

Amistad.

It describes conditions on the slave ships. Frankly, it even shocked me at 49, and I thought I knew quite a bit about this stuff. It's also a great book and very elegantly illustrated with period paintings and drawings.

Also, you might want to watch "Amazing Grace" which is about the abolition of slavery in the British Empire--an event that happened quite some time before the US Civil War.

I have been planning to read Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass; it looks like it may be appropriate for ds, too.

To Be a Slave looks very good; I will have to pre-read that one, too, it sounds like.

We will watch "Amazing Grace" again (loved it in the theatre), and also read Amistad (found it on my library website) for more about slave ships. Daily Life on a Southern Plantation looks very good, too; my library has that one, too.

I found a couple more books:

The Strength of These Arms

Bound for America

I'll also look at Amos Fortune, Free Man.

Thanks again!

Wendi