Menu

Socialization and dogs

QuirkyKapers

I was laughing to myself the other day about socialization as I drove by the dog park. I was imagining how what a conversation about dog's socialization could sound like. "It isn't good for your dog to be alone and not interact with other dogs, how else will your dog learn to chase other dogs?" or "You know, dogs are pack animals and you really need to keep them connected with other dogs". Interestingly enough, I read an article in Reader's Digest that suggested taking a dog to the dog park really isn't that great of an idea. The dogs can pick up other dog's disease's and can be hurt if the dog's get in fights with other dogs.

It's the same old thing, year after year.

Homeschooled dogs and socialization issues.

Isn't there some sort of public obedience school that these dogs should be attending? Aren't you worried that they won't grow up to be like the other dogs? How will they have a sense of reality if they're never bullied by the bigger dogs???

;)

It's the same old thing, year after year.

Homeschooled dogs and socialization issues.

Isn't there some sort of public obedience school that these dogs should be attending? Aren't you worried that they won't grow up to be like the other dogs? How will they have a sense of reality if they're never bullied by the bigger dogs???

;)

:lol: First, If I can't get them to obey in my own home, how will sending them anywhere else make a difference? Second, I want my dogs to be true to who they are and not influenced by peer dog pressure, ykwim? Last, I think there is enough bullying going on in my own dog family to give them the experience they need.

:lol: First, If I can't get them to obey in my own home, how will sending them anywhere else make a difference? Second, I want my dogs to be true to who they are and not influenced by peer dog pressure, ykwim? Last, I think there is enough bullying going on in my own dog family to give them the experience they need.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In a related funny: When my dog was a young guy, we took him to our beach house with all the in-laws. He acted like an idiot! He didn't get along with the other dogs in the family. My one SIL said (in a light-hearted way), "Well, you know what they say about those unsocialized homeschool dogs..." :laugh:

It's because you are not an expert in doggie obedience. You need to send them to the experts who are trained to train dogs. You can't possibly think that you are able to teach a dog all they need to know about obeying your or being a dog because you don't have a degree or proper training. If you knew more about dog training theory and dogs in general - you know like you get in a classroom with other adult people taught by other adult people, you would be better able to teach your dog to obey. We should leave dogs to those people who learned about dogs from other people.

So you really should look all day doggie school after all how will they learn proper dog behavior. They don't just know how to dig, sniff, chew and bark! :tongue_smilie: :001_rolleyes: :rofl:

It's because you are not an expert in doggie obedience. You need to send them to the experts who are trained to train dogs. You can't possibly think that you are able to teach a dog all they need to know about obeying your or being a dog because you don't have a degree or proper training. If you knew more about dog training theory and dogs in general - you know like you get in a classroom with other adult people taught by other adult people, you would be better able to teach your dog to obey. We should leave dogs to those people who learned about dogs from other people.

So you really should look all day doggie school after all how will they learn proper dog behavior. They don't just know how to dig, sniff, chew and bark! :tongue_smilie: :001_rolleyes: :rofl:

:lol:

I'm starting to become a believer in dog socialization. The dogs in my new city are the most well-behaved, agreeable dogs I've ever seen. Very often when I take my dog on walks, another owner will say, "Oh, my dog would love to say hello to your dog," and start to cross the street toward me. My dog'll just go CRAZY, barking and growling at the other dog. And the other dog will look bewildered at my dog's behavior. This has happened so many times that I think these dogs and owners must have taken some kind of socialization training, or know something, that I'm clueless about.

I'm clearly doing something wrong -- every dog in this city, except mine, loves to meet other dogs. What else can it be than a socialization issue?

I know this is a funny thread, but I have to say a well-socialized dog is a pleasure. I am not saying they need to be in a school setting. :rolleyes:

We had a doggie visitor overnight--my dog, who rarely gets to be with other dogs, had a blast with this small fluffer who does play with others really well.

However, I am going to recind my offer to watch this little bundle of fur over Spring Break--he is used to his dog door and got me up at 1am to go out. Not happening.

Let them do their own thing and see what happens? Bladder training is so important. Can't even make it several hours w/o raising their hands to pee.

OOps, I mean, going outside....

:D There ARE some parallels and good points to them, but overall, agreeing.