Menu

Which correspondence High School is....

Least parent intensive, yet has clear instruction and excellent student feedback? I am willing to pay if it is worth it. I have not been impressed with VP or MP classes in the parent feedback department....

This child needs as little to do with the Internet as possible, so I would truly prefer a regular mail, or an email submission...no message boards, Skype or IMs.

A christian company is preferable, but secular is fine if it fulfills my other requirements.

I need her to fulfill basic high school requirements and be prepared to pass a GED.

Public School is NOT an option here....bad schools, easily swayed kid.

Any suggestions, experience etc. greatly appreciated. I will be happy to get this kid through high school....we are NOT looking for the most academically rigorous program....just looking to cover a basic High School course load and not be the one doing the assigning....

Thanks,

Faithe

:grouphug: Seton? Usually, all you have to do online are the tests. However, I have only used them for a math where I needed an approved credit, but could do my own teaching.

I hear you on the internet part. My 17yo did Connections Academy last year and I will NEVER do that again, especially with a boy who has to constantly peruse the Internet. The computer is in our main living area with the screen facing the room. He was still quite slick at switching back and forth.

:grouphug: Seton? Usually, all you have to do online are the tests. However, I have only used them for a math where I needed an approved credit, but could do my own teaching.

I hear you on the internet part. My 17yo did Connections Academy last year and I will NEVER do that again, especially with a boy who has to constantly peruse the Internet. The computer is in our main living area with the screen facing the room. He was still quite slick at switching back and forth.

Yep...and mine is quite adept at the sneaky thing.....

I need to get myself back into the cheerleader department...and away from the adversarial role of teacher/nag. Our relationship depends on it!

Can I use Seton even if we are not Catholic??

DD~15 did K12, which like Connections Academy, was mostly online with few if any text books. (??) This year DD is enrolled in Laurel Springs. ($$) Ilike the text book choices. A student can choose and online version of a coarse or a text version of a coarse. We went for the books. The teacher interaction is done via computer. Work is scanned in and emailed. At the high school level they offer a simposium class and bring in guest speakers. They students are expected to discuss the speaker via an open forum. DD says the students are well spoken,i.e. they can write and present themselves well. The level of dialog is higher than K12. I have little oversite of DD as she is a very motivated gal, but the few times I've needed to talk with her teachers they were available and helpful.

About the computer--I've given up on trying to restrict usage. I expect DD to be responsible and do her work. How and when she does it is up to her, just as long as it gets done. Using the all text version of the coarses limites DD's time on the computer. More often than not I see her with her books open rather than her eyes glued to the monitor.

It maybe be an alternative. Laurel Springs School

We use Seton for my 9th grader and are not Catholic (you do not have to take the religion classes). It has been a good choice for us because she knows what she needs to get done and submits it herself. She also does not like online type classes. Seton gives you the option of mail in or submitting via email. We do take the online tests and submit papers via email but the rest is all off the computer. They also allow enrollment at any time of the school year. My daughter is fully enrolled taking Goegraphy, English 9, Grammar and Comp (required class) and Biology with lab. She does Alg 2, Spanish and Art as independent study. The English class is fairly time consuming and rigerous but the others are relatively easy for her. I like that they keep track of all the grades and records for me and she will get an accreditied diploma. The price was not too bad either - includes all books, etc that you need.

Good luck!

Seton is great. Everything is planned out, clear instructions, and instructor does give feedback. Someone is available by phone in case you have questions, etc. It is accredited, so no need to take the GED. The price is reasonable and includes the textbooks, tests, and materials needed.

American School is not as academic as Seton, imho. You do the work, turn it in, get the credit. They are accredited as well. There can be a wait for materials to be sent back.

hth