Menu

College mail is beginning to arrive!

Granny_Weatherwax

Of course I'm not the OP, but it's sort of common on these boards(well, the General one, actually) to poo poo the UN, so perhaps that's why?

Really, though, I've heard of any good things about the school. Walt got a few letters from them, and I recall that they seemed to have a good sense of humor, too.

You know, a sense of humor would be a good thing to bring to a light-hearted thread on college mail.

Terri

• 2 weeks later...

Coming in late, but Carleton College decide that all my ds needs to know about them is that they chose to send him a Frisbee. I'm not sure what this means.

Ok, that's a new one I hadn't heard about yet... especially "sent" vs given out at campus on a visit.

I wonder what else "odd" ;) is being sent out?

Macalester did sent out very witty letters. We enjoyed reading them, but they never made our "consider" list. Perhaps if they were further south.

My kids were not allowed to remotely consider our Alma mater's rival. It was one school totally off the table from before they were born. I might grudgingly admit it's a good school, but life just wouldn't be the same if they had gone there. There are plenty of good schools. We never thought about symbolically burning their info. That would have been nice! :laugh:

Almost makes me wish the college I attended had a rival so I could embargo it.

You can adopt my rival as your own. They're fun to hate, and your kid is sure to get mail from them--they market heavily, 'cause their natural student base is, well, by and large, not really college material. I'm kidding! Sort of.

Terri

• 2 weeks later...

So how soon after the PSAT does the mail/e-mail deluge start? We've gotten only a couple of postcards, not the flood we've been led to expect; does it just take longer than I anticipated? Or to rephrase, how long until I have to start appeasing my mail carrier with cookies?

Ds Junior gets a flood of Post-PSAT emails every day, but only occasional mail - we found out that PSAT had reported his address incorrectly, so someone on the other side of town has been getting his college mail. :tongue_smilie: We had them correct it, but likely it's a little late now. He occasionally gets a card or letter from someone (although he's gotten 2 postcards, a letter, and a personal call from Furman University - ? I'd never heard of that school.)

he's gotten 2 postcards, a letter, and a personal call from Furman University - ? I'd never heard of that school.)

Furman is one middle son applied to and was accepted at. If you do a search on the high school board you might come up with the visit report I did from our visit.

in general, it's a very "country club" type of place (in looks - very pretty) and seemed like a place where he could be happy, but they ended up being the absolute worst financially for us - a good 20 - 26K more than all the other schools he had as options. (They also didn't have as in depth of a neuroscience major, so likely wouldn't have been his choice anyway, but that's a more personal fit thing.)

Overall, I recommend the place if the fit is good AND if you can afford it.

It would have taken some time for me to get used to their letters (FU) though. We wouldn't have brought those t-shirts home... Locally (SC) people understand them, but here in PA I don't think they would.

We're getting tons more mail now too. Yesterday Lynchburg sent one in (one of six to arrive). Youngest looked at it and wondered why anyone would want to go to a college named "Lynch" burg and how many people had been lynched there to give the place its name... I mentioned it was in VA and was actually one of their more well-known cities. He told me the "Virginia" part made sense. :glare: Hubby told him it was likely named after a person rather than an action. He said, true, but it's not the first thing that comes to mind. He ditched the flyer.

I'm sure there are many places that have troubles with their name coupled with those who aren't used to hearing those names. I know whenever I mention Rice at school the first reaction from students isn't interest - they think I'm joking that a school could have that name - much less be a really selective school. If one grows up thinking of the college, it's not a surprise and seems to be a normal connection, but to those who haven't heard, it can take some a bit to get over the name - or they don't get over it. Such is our humanness I suppose.

In that vein, ds couldn't take Colgate seriously...

Same here - and with multiple students from school.

I wonder how many more apps some of these school would get if their names were different. They're already good schools, so there are many who don't care, but there's definitely some percentage who won't give them a second look.

My daughter received a lovely brochure from Harvey Mudd this week, and thanks to the visit report someone posted a while back, I looked like a genius when I was able to spout off a bunch of information about the consortium. We looked up their admission stats, and their 75th percentile math SAT score is an 800. I find it astounding that more than 25% of their students have perfect SAT math scores. An 800 is within her realm of possibility, definitely, but geez, that is a lot of math geeks. Or it would be if H/M were not so small, I suppose.

These threads are so helpful, and I mean that in all seriousness. When I compare the resources my daughter will have to those that I had, the difference is mind-boggling. I never even applied to a college--I was automatically admitted to my now alma mater, a big state U, based on my ACT score. As far as they know, I never even graduated from high school, and though I did, my school was unaccredited, and I secretly live in fear that they're going to revoke my degree over it one day. Anyway, I loved it, and with the generous scholarship money, I was able to pay for it all with money left over, so it was definitely the right choice for me. But it also was definitely a case of how it is sometimes better to be lucky than good. The universe of possibilities is much bigger for my kids than it was for me, and that is both wonderful and frightening.

Terri