Menu

Why do you love CC?

I've been toying with the idea of doing CC with my 2 oldest kids (K and 2nd this year) and I was wondering those of you who have done it why you love it. I am hopefully going to the next informational meeting they have about it but I was wondering what makes it special and is there a special set of curriculum that you are suppose to use with it? Thanks :)

I think she means Classical Conversations:)

We are not doing the community this year; just Foundations memory work on our own at home. We're hoping to start a community next fall. I do love the memory work! I have to say, though, when my oldest 2 were K and 2nd, I would've rejected cc as mindless, random memory work. Now that they are older, I can see the value in the memory work and wish we'd done it sooner! I think this is a common dichotomy of thinking from moms of youngers vs moms of olders. I think a good, well done Cc community will be valuable as a support system to homeschooling. I look forward to it next year.

Sorry, Yes I meant Classical Conversations. :) What exactly do you use as memory work at home from CC. I don't know if we will be able to get in next year. I love the idea of doing memory work and a time line but I will confess I do get a little confused when I look at everything ;)

I have mixed feelings about CC. I have come to appreciate memory work and agree with pp that seeing it in younger kids the first time around seemed a bit robotic. I appreciated it with my olders more. I did it for 2 years, then 1 year at home, in it again this year with just my youngest, and will possibly do it again at home next year. It would be much harder to start at home than to go one year and do it at home. It really helps to get a feel for it in a community.

Likes: 1) we've met some fabulous people there, 2) I can see the results of the memory work in my older students, esp. in Latin, math and science. It really helps to know the declensions by heart when you hit higher levels of Latin, 3) science and art gets done every week regardless.

Dislikes 1) it's a lot more time consuming to go to a CC community than to do it at home. We're out of the house a lot, so this extra time means a lot to me. 2) I don't like all the extra jobs that are an essential part of the community. When I had 3 kids in, I was paying more than a $1k and had to volunteer in the nursery, clean the bathrooms, vacuum, etc. This is often location specific, but it seemed after paying all that $$ I should have someone home cleaning my house ;). Also, it's seems like a time suck to have to sit there in the classroom with your student. I get the reason, but still. 3) some of the material has no rhyme or reason. It's also hard to form your school around the material b/c you move so fast. One week you're in Africa, the next Asia.

HTH,

Laura

Sorry, Yes I meant Classical Conversations. :) What exactly do you use as memory work at home from CC. I don't know if we will be able to get in next year. I love the idea of doing memory work and a time line but I will confess I do get a little confused when I look at everything ;)

I use the Foundations guide 4th edition, $60 on their website. I also got the audio cd for cycle 1 and all 4 sets of history timeline cards, but you dont have to have these to make the program work at home. I have a nearby friend that gets together weekly; we help the kids get a jumpstart on memorizing their weeks worth of stuff. Really, you'd just need the foundations guide to do it on your own at home - all 3 cycles are in there, and you just go thru 1 cycle per year. you repeat the memory work again once you've gone thru it, and keep on it until they are ready for jr high (age 12 or 13). It gives them a great start on the info they need to be successful in later studies.

We are on our second year of doing CC at home. We get together with another family which helps a lot with the accountability factor. I have been tempted to join a community (it would mean a long commute for us) or start one, but I decided to old off. It would have stretched me way too thin. We are only doing the history, timeline, and science portions which makes it easier for us to fit in.

This is the first time I have done any program 2 years in a row! (except math and spelling but that's a little different). And my kids still remember most of the history from last year and a good part of the science. We love the songs - they make the learning easy and painless. I love that I can load up the playlist on my pad and let it go while we are making lunch and call it good. Even my 5 year old is engaged.

CC has so much great info online. I learned a ton by reading and re-reading their catalog, Leigh Bortins books, etc. Also there are tons of blogs with great activities that match up with the weeks.

Definitely worthwhile for us for many years. I'm emotional about it because this is our last year; however, the all-in-one approach for high school doesn't fit us, and so we are moving on.

If you get a campus that fits your goals, being with others in academic setting is lovely. We have been at two different campuses, and enjoyed both for different reasons. There were minor aspects of each that I didn't like at times, but the overall experience was always positive. And yes, we have periodically had peer issues, but in a way I'm glad for that. I'd rather deal with that in a limited setting like CC. Mine learned some valuable "socialization" skills because of that.

Prior to CC we were involved in a co-op that frankly was too informal for our tastes. During some of our CC years we were also in a monthly history group that we enjoyed, but it broke up when the families of some of the oldest kids decided to stop homeschooling. If I had a group of friends like our history group that would do it weekly, I probably would have gone that way. I wasn't in a position to lead something like that though at the time, and no one I knew was interested.