Menu

French curriculum for 7th grader?

Yes, I recommend Galore Park French. I have modified my recommendation, however: if you want to end up with your children speaking fluently, I think you need to supplement it, either with conversation with a fairly fluent speaker, or with more interactive audio. GP French is a very efficient grammar and vocab programme, but the audio is not very full: the programme was designed for use in a classroom with a fluent speaker. It worked for me because my degree is in French.

Laura

I also recommend The Easy French (Le Francais Facile). It is well planned with vocabulary (with audio), semi-immersion dialogue (with audio), Bible Verses (with audio), cultural activities and discussions and French Grammar worktext (fill in the blank but short exercises). Each lesson is between 4-6 pages typically and can be used over 1 or 2 weeks depending on your speed. French 1A covers often used phrases but at the same time teaches verb conjugations. My junior-high daughter really enjoys the program.

LFF is parent friendly and I appreciate it for its ease of use and clear expectations. I do recommend buying the Test Booklets (and answer keys). You can use them for review purposes if you aren't quite at the level where you are keeping grades. The author is very approachable for questions/comments/helps. I think it's one of the best Junior High French programs available to homeschoolers who have little or no French background.

On a side note: We spent time using Memoria Press' French 1 during 5th grade and it became a very painful exercise (the book is very straightfoward but it is dry and leaves out the fun parts that kids enjoy). We made it through a little over half of the book in one year and then decided to put it away and bring it out as review or extra work. I do believe MP French would be a good grammar workbook but when I used it alone, I had to hire a tutor to round out this curriculum. I will say that we did learn a lot but not much was enjoyed. :( If a little more "fluff" or even pictures were added to it, to make it more approachable, I'd recommend it but not before junior high and alongside something like Rosetta Stone.

Rosetta Stone: Not a bad starting place but it's expensive unless you are planning on using it for several years. I really do not like the workbook that comes with it pdf. It's very poorly organized. We use this in early grades (3rd on up) but have struggled with the microphone picking up younger higher pitched voices and it can get frustrating for the child.

BJU French 1: Another organizational nightmare and on par with the Rosetta Stone Worktext. I can't believe so many schools utilize these texts. For a child with a little background in french they are OK but just OK. For the beginning French student, hold on to your seat. Unless you have an EXCELLENT teacher who is very organized and intentional, you'll be in trouble. Not parent friendly. Not recommended.

I just started using Galore Park French with my 5th grader. I'll probably use book one for the next couple of years combined with lots of vocabulary. I have a minor in French but that only helps me with the grammar and not the speaking. I'll have him work with a native speaker in order to complete French 1.

• 3 weeks later...

It's often difficult to find good programs for modern languages. I think Galore Park or Breaking the Barrier are good programs. We tried Memoria Press but found it too formulaic which doesn't give the student a good "feel" for the language. La Francais Facile I have a problem with because the lower levels do a weird word substitution method which I don't agree with at all. French is not constructed in the same way as English and it does the student a disservice by teaching it in that manner.

Other French options you may want to look at are:

French in Action: this is a good immersion-type program and you can find workbooks for it on Amazon http://www.learner.o...s/series83.html

The New Chardenal French: my dd is using this program and it is excellent. It moves quite quickly but it can be paced to the student. Downside is that there are no answers, at least not in the book that we picked up. http://www.amazon.ca...dp/1142612945�� It's also free online: http://archive.org/d...alaco00broogoog

Frenchsmart: these book are okay but I prefer using them to learn vocabulary http://www.amazon.ca...rds=frenchsmart

Grammaire Progressive du Francais: these books are excellent but a little dry and not so interesting to teach from. They supplement well though. http://www.amazon.ca...maire,aps,14701

Leo et Lea: fun but immersion style. http://www.amazon.ca...ords=leo et lea

If your dd wants to seriously learn the language it would probably pay to take some time to research what you think would work best for her. If she just wants to get a broad "smattering" of the language most of the programs will do the job.

All the best to her in her third language journey! :001_smile:

I like a combination of Breaking the Barrier with Practice Makes Perfect. I haven't tried Galore's French yet, but I've read good things about it, especially from Laura Corin. There is a vintage book, Chardenal, but it doesn't have a CD. I do have MP's French, but I find BtB easier to use.

Do you use BtB app or paper book?