Menu

S/O of Happiness - Finding your Passions

SunnyDays

I was reading the thread on personal happiness... I didn't post there, but I was pondering it. Something that Regentrude posted spoke to me:

Self-care is not selfish; it is necessary in order to be able to care for others and not burn out. I notice that the people who are the most fun to be with, the most inspiring, are all people who are passionate about something in the world. Martyrs are not really fun to be around;-)

The most inspiring people are the people who are passionate about something. I would also say that they're probably also the most fulfilled people.

Looking at my own life, I realize I've been searching for this... what *am* I passionate about?? And I thought it would make for interesting discussion.

So... how do you find and follow your passions? How do you sort through what's most important to you? I know one piece of advice says, make a list of things you enjoy and go from there. But beyond that... if you've found you're deeply passionate about something, what is it? How did you find it? How did you determine how that played out in your life?

Let's see if we can inspire one another to become... inspired. :D

I never had trouble finding things that I am excited about. I am curious, like to learn new things, and find the world a very interesting place.

I love music and have been singing in choirs all my life. I love rock climbing and hiking, started when I met DH.

I love teaching; did not know that until I got the teaching position and realized that I really, really enjoy this.

Some people find their one passion as children and make it into a career. Others don't. I would have loved to be a professional singer, but it was not to be - so I picked something else I was interested in and became a physicist (don't laugh, that's exactly how it happens). I liked it, but it was not until I started teaching that I really found my niche.

Some interests have seasons. For a while, I was able to take voice lessons from a gifted teacher and made great progress - now that is not possible. When I lived in England, I had a chance to study Argentine tango dancing and sing evensong in a 17th century college chapel every Sunday. When we lived in Germany, we would climb every single weekend, taking the kids when they were infants and toddlers - alas, our present location does not have rocks, sob. When the kids were little, we would hike every weekend as a family; now they are teens and no longer interested - but we are able to do backpacking trips in the summer. When my kids were little, I taught part time and only recitations; now that I can devote more time, I have my own two lecture courses. When they have graduated and are in college, I will search for other teaching opportunities to expand.

The season part was, and still is, hard for me to accept. But all things have a season.

Recently, I have picked up a childhood interest in history and began some more systematic self education. I have started to learn French. I am looking forward to being able to take some college classes when I have finished homeschooling. There are just so many things I would like to learn, that would be interesting, that I could become passionate about.

If I can teach my children one thing, it would be that the world is a fascinating place with so many things to do and be interested in. I don't think one can force passions, but I can expose them to all kinds of things, and eventually they will find what is exciting for them.

I am very interested in a lot of things- not one is my one passion. I love gardening and going to gardens (both Botanical and private), birding, cooking and baking, and reading. I think most people who know me would describe me as having those passions. I had all the same passions as a child but I suppose you develop new passions by trying new experiences.