Menu

New Teaching Company Course: Building Great Sentences

It looks like they've done it again. This looks PERFECT for what I want to do with my kids. Love, love, love it when they produce a "spine" that I can use.

I don't think that it's even on their web site yet. But it looks good; the momma's definitely planning to pick up some tricks. :001_smile: Boy - I hope I like it - hope I love it... We'll see, eh?

It's called:

Building Great Sentences: Exploring the Writer's Craft

Professor Brooks Landon, University of Iowa

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

• 10 months later...

Janice I saw that you were considering this course last summer. It is currently on one of their 2 day sales. I would love a review of this if you did it. I am interested in it for myself, I have two 8 year olds and a 5 year. I plan on using MCT materials with them along with CW Beginners starting in perhaps Oct.-last term or school year here; or Feb. beginning of school year. I need to be ready. I used much more traditional material last time around with my nieces and nephews but struggled with Voyages in English 7-8th grade. I want to prepare and use a different approach to help ME, thus MCT which we used in 7/8th grades last time.

Building Sentences looks like WWE for grownups:tongue_smilie:

Anyway I ramble, would love any feedback

Alicia in New Zealand

Janice I saw that you were considering this course last summer. It is currently on one of their 2 day sales. I would love a review of this if you did it. I am interested in it for myself, I have two 8 year olds and a 5 year. I plan on using MCT materials with them along with CW Beginners starting in perhaps Oct.-last term or school year here; or Feb. beginning of school year. I need to be ready. I used much more traditional material last time around with my nieces and nephews but struggled with Voyages in English 7-8th grade. I want to prepare and use a different approach to help ME, thus MCT which we used in 7/8th grades last time.

Building Sentences looks like WWE for grownups:tongue_smilie:

Anyway I ramble, would love any feedback

Alicia in New Zealand

My 13 yos and 15 yod watched this series this school yr. My son ate it up. My dd tolerated it. The professor LOVES really (and I do mean really) long sentences and shows just what you can get out of a great sentence.

I'm not sure how much of it is coincidence and how much was this course combined with LL from LOTRs, my ds absolutely blossomed this yr in his writing. It is eloquent and mature instead of stilted and shallow.

In all honesty, my dd's lit/comp course this yr was online so I haven't really read her papers. I do know that her teacher has given her high praise, but she was a fairly decent writer prior to this.

I think 13 is the absolute youngest I would use this course with. I actually didn't expect him to like it and thought he would beg me to let him stop. But, he has loved the linguistic studies from LL and he has tried to duplicate some of the elven type poetry, so the two courses "met" him somewhere on a personal level.

HTH

Thanks for your reply. I enjoy scifi/fantasy myself so that may work for me. I also love the idea of a proff. that can help me make my really long sentences really good! I think I may get it. Just wanted some feedback before I purchased it as I will "buy" US dollars to do so and that makes it more expensive. Thank goodness for the sales they have.

Alicia in New Zealand