Menu

Be thankful if you have a rational, loving relationship with your siblings...

Shelly in IL

I have a brother and SIL that I'd like to send back. Bro is not a raving lunatic, but definitely resides in his own bubble and operates about 20 years younger than chronological age. SIL is a raving lunatic. Loving relationship is definitely not in the cards.

:grouphug:

can totally relate. i've gone through several stints of not talking to my sister. last year my daughter and mom were guilt-tripping me that I really should reach out to her because her health is so bad. i sent her a b-day card and she returned it unopened. I celebrated because i could finally get my mom and my daughter off my back. otoh, i am now grateful - my mom has years of experience dealing with her and i have reached what I am capable of doing for my 20 yo daughter at the moment, and my mom has taken her in.

Well, my oldest sister is in a cult, one of my younger sisters is hooked on oxycodone (and has lost custody of her kids), I think my other younger sister is as well. If the 2nd one isn't, she got fired from her job of nine years, cannot get another job, house is falling apart, and she pawned her engagement ring. One of my younger brothers is a mooch off of my parents who have filed bankruptcy and he STILL keeps mooching, the other brother (though he is slightly normal) dropped out of school in 8th grade, has Type I Diabetes and has lost hearing in one ear, sight in one eye, had a kidney transplant, and had 1/2 of his left leg amputated. His menagerie of health problems and trying to work the "system" to his benefit makes it hard to feel sympathy.

My childhood, for the most part, really SUCKED! My mom is bi-polar and my parents actually divorced before I was born. My step-dad and he fight all the time, it is ludicrous to even try to visit them.

I am just glad I "escaped," became somewhat normal, and am trying to give all of my children a much better life than I had. My dh's siblings are wonderful and though his dad is somewhat of a loser his mom is great (they are divorced). I wish I had a sister relationship like dh's sisters do. I work hard to foster a good relationship between my children and to teach them that they are best friends.

Ok, I will quit venting now. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone! (((hugs)))

To be honest, this is on the list of reasons I homeschool - to foster close sibling relationships. I hope, hope, hope my kids will be close when they are grown or at least amicable. I realise it is no guarantee. I'm an only so I have absolutely no experience. I'd love to hear advice on how to help them develop close relationships with each other. Maybe I should start another thread.

....... rational, loving relationship with your siblings... ROFLOLLLLLLLLLLL HAHAHHAHA!!

We were dd6's foster parents for 2 years before we finalized on her. She is my great neice (my sister's daughter's daughter). I have 4 siblings on this side of my family. My extended family's bazaar life style all came in to focus when dd6's CPS caseworker commented that my family has the most drama out of all the families she has ever worked with. She said that if my family was on a soap opera, no one would watch because it would be so unbelievable. LOL I didn't feel so bad being the black sheep after that comment coming from a CPS worker (considering the amount of unusual circumstances that she would deal with in her day to day job).

Sigh ... yeah. I have a lot of siblings, covering a wide age range, so some of us have never been close just by virtue of that.

But now that our parents have died, we siblings are splintered. In the two years since Mom died I have come to know some of my siblings in ways I never had before, and learned things about them that I wish weren't true. I am glad that they (well, most of them) have moved out of state.

The upside, however, is that I have become closer to one than I had ever been before, and I find great joy in that relationship.

Shelly & Elegantlion, I can totally relate!

To be honest, this is on the list of reasons I homeschool - to foster close sibling relationships. I hope, hope, hope my kids will be close when they are grown or at least amicable. I realise it is no guarantee. I'm an only so I have absolutely no experience. I'd love to hear advice on how to help them develop close relationships with each other. Maybe I should start another thread.

I saw this book title in SCM, only yesterday: Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends. I think books that instil the concept of courtesy & good character may be what our children need today especially where there are very few such good examples of families & friends around or hard to find. There are some more books on character listed here:

http://simplycharlot...de/personaldev/

That's also my reason for homeschooling too, that I hope & pray some day that we will be a closer family. :grouphug:

Best Wishes

To make a long story short, my eldest sister resents the fact that my other sister was born. She is 62 my other sister is 60. Eldest has been jealous of younger her whole life. Enter me. 15 years the junior of eldest. Don't even get me started with how much she respects the "baby," and how much she manipulates every situation if she has a vested interest. She gets this from mom. After the death of my parents, I will not pursue interaction. Very sad. :( Glad for my other sister, who is normal and wonderful. Eldest tries to make it be middle sis and me against her. Why does life have to be a challenge? She got the narcissistic gene.