Menu

Doctor Zhivago (movie) --Worth it for teen girls studying the Russian Revolution?

Barbara Streisand??? in Dr. Zhivago? Are you sure you remember the right film?
It's Julie Christie, not Barbra Streisand. My parents *almost* named me Lara, but chickened out. I'm partial to the original movie.

Well, I didn't think she played Lara, but their daughter Tanya Komarovskaya, but I looked it up and the girl is played by Rita Tushingham so not Streisand. Here's a still: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm57126912/nm0878240

My mom and I bonded over the original movie. It's cinematically very beautiful, the music is wonderful. Omar Sharif was one of my first movie star crushes. I have not read the book.

However, for you, I would make sure you are comfortable with the plot line of the personal lives of the character, if you are not familiar with it. You can read a good summation here. http://en.wikipedia....r_Zhivago_(film)

Another vote for the book!

I may be the odd man out, but I like the 2002 BBC version. It is bleaker than the earlier film --suits the book just a bit better. Romantics may prefer the older film.

Yup. I like the newer one as well. More of a Russia feel, and less of a Hollywood feel. If I remember right, the newer one is more um, upfront, about the love relationships going on ...I don't remember any "skin", but the older move is gentler in that regard.

When I was a teen, I wanted to slap Zhivago around--pick a woman already and get on with it! ;)