Menu

Does anyone else have sibling or half-siblings the same age as their own kids?

AKshanmar

My dad married for a third time after I had my first. He and his wife had kids the same age as my 2nd and 4th kids. He is divorced again, but I have a good relationship with his x-wife and the kids, although it is much more aunt-ish than sister-ish. The kids are now 19 and 16. My problem... when talking to the kids I can never just call my dad, "dad". It is always "your dad". I just can't. LOL. It might stem from the argument I had with my sister when she was 3.... "my dad", "no my dad", "no my dad". I was just going to text her to make plans for my dad's 70th birthday, and I CAN'T just say "Dad".

I might just be bored tonight.... this is a very random post.

How big is the age difference between the siblings? In my rather uncomplicated family, the oldest brother is 16 years older than the youngest sister. Oldest brother married a woman with three kids, all around the age of youngest sister. There is no confusion as to who "dad" is when oldest brother and youngest sister talk. So I guess I don't understand why you just cant say "dad"? Or how about "our dad"?

I'm 27 years older than my half sister!

It is just such a whole different world. He was never my "dad" at the same time he was their dad, he was already "grandpa" to us.

Their mom and I went to the same highschool. She graduated the year before I started. Her best friend was my best friend's sister. We had the same teachers.

Yeah...the kids have always gotten a kick out of the aunt and uncle thing.

The most horrible, awkward moment was right after my dad's divorce. We (my husband and one of my boys) went out to dinner with him and his kids. We ran into the kids' teacher, who I knew was a good friend with dad's x-wife. I was told who she was, but she was never properly introduced to me. I noticed her whispering to the person she was with and giving me death glares! "Oh, no!" I told my husband. "She thinks I am Dad's new girlfriend!" (This was disturbing on many, many levels) Unfortunately, dh thought this was very funny, and proceeded to look shocked when I tried to put my arm through his, switched things up so he was sitting opposite from me and I was right next to my dad.... the brat. The teacher lady gave me the evil eye, the whole time. Since then, whenever I am with my dad, the first words out of my mouth are "He is my dad!"

Yeah...the kids have always gotten a kick out of the aunt and uncle thing.

The most horrible, awkward moment was right after my dad's divorce. We (my husband and one of my boys) went out to dinner with him and his kids. We ran into the kids' teacher, who I knew was a good friend with dad's x-wife. I was told who she was, but she was never properly introduced to me. I noticed her whispering to the person she was with and giving me death glares! "Oh, no!" I told my husband. "She thinks I am Dad's new girlfriend!" (This was disturbing on many, many levels) Unfortunately, dh thought this was very funny, and proceeded to look shocked when I tried to put my arm through his, switched things up so he was sitting opposite from me and I was right next to my dad.... the brat. The teacher lady gave me the evil eye, the whole time. Since then, whenever I am with my dad, the first words out of my mouth are "He is my dad!"

LOL! My family is much more traditional, but there have been times when it was assumed I was my dad's wife, or my sister was my mom's sister, etc. Once my mom sent my brother to go get her a beer from the bar at a restaurant. The bartender said, "I have to card your girlfriend!" Ha ha. Mom did not find that as funny as I would have.

My aunt, who is only 3 years younger than my mum, often referred to my grandparents as "my parents" or "my mum/dad" when talking to my mother. It really bothered my mother because it seemed to her that my aunt was claiming more of a relationship with them than my mum could. She never said anything to her sister, but both my brother and I corrected my aunt several times to no avail.

Yes! Same here.

My dad remarried and her kids are the same ages (well, right between) my oldest 2 boys --- my boys are 15 and 12, her boys are 14 and about to be 13. When talking to them, I always refer to Dad as "your dad" or even by his first name, since he isn't actually their dad. just as I would with my cousins, etc. For ex, with my cousins that age, I don't refer to their dad as Uncle So & So, I refer to him as their dad. When speaking to my kids about my grandparents, I try to remember to use "great-grandma" instead, because I remember when I was a kid and the grown-ups would all talk about grandma this and grandma that; they meant my great-grandma, and I was so confused why my grandma would be doing xyz. So, I've always made a point to refer to mutual relatives by the relationship that applies to the person I'm talking to.

(oh my word, is that the most confusing sentence ever??? sorry! LOL!)

We're having a very interesting time adjusting to the new relationships.....

I have a step-sister who's 3 months younger then me. Our parents married when we were 7 and divorceed when we were 15. My dad (and the only dad step-sister ever knew) died when we were 17. We remain very close and are bfs. I'm much closer to her than I am to my bio sisters. This relationship has caused quite a bit of confusion over the years.

My only half sister is 23, and my stepdaughter is 18. So pretty close.

I was 12 when my half sister was born and moved out 5 years later. I missed most of her childhood. When she was 18, she moved in with dh and I for a year and a half. I was, um, "surprised" at what sort of personality she had. :p

We're not close at all now. We've had to spend a bit of time together because of all this stuff going on with my dad. One day at the hospital, she was introducing herself to a nurse, and said "This is my dad". For whatever reason, that REALLY bothered me. My gut reaction was "No, he's not YOUR dad. He's OUR dad." Don't know why, but it didn't set well with me. I always introduced myself as "I'm Bethany, his daughter". Just semantics I suppose, but that's how I felt.

So yeah, I get what you're saying.