Menu

Any Persian/Iranian-Americans here?

unsinkable

No suggestions but did you know Mercedes served time in jail and several years probation?

I love Shahs of Sunset!

MJ?? you are kidding me!

Eta: OK, just read a brief article. She was only 18 and it sounds like she might have been threatened. That really sucks. It seems like she's been good since.

Not Iranian, but you should totally start with the graphic memoir Persepolis and Persepolis 2. It was made into a film as well - at one point, I think it was on Netflix streaming, but I don't think it is anymore.

One of my good friends from school is Iranian and her parents ran a restaurant with the best food. Yum. So you should also start by going out to eat. Fesenjan. Double yum.

A good friend of mine is Iranian and lent me the book "Funny in Farsi" It is a memoir of an Iranian family moving to Southern California in the 1970's. It was a wonderful book and gave a humorous but touching look into the culture.

Diane

Just tried to find it at my library but no where in the Western Australia library system. However, a sequel called Laughing without an accent : adventures of an Iranian American, at home and abroad, came up and looks funny too.

Yes, I'm Persian. My sister told me about Shahs of Sunset. I only saw it for a few minutes.

My favorite book and one that some of my friends have absolutely loved is Funny in Farsi. She also wrote a sequel which I love. That's to start you off. :) There are some others, but I personally prefer the light-hearted ones than the ones with tragic and depressing endings. The same goes with movies. I love the movie Offside - that will tell you something about the present Persian culture. And if you have a nice Persian restaurant near you, then lucky you! Finally, you might like to visit my Persian board on pinterest. Let me know if you need more book suggestions. I also love the movie Max.

Not Iranian, but you should totally start with the graphic memoir Persepolisand Persepolis 2. It was made into a film as well - at one point, I think it was on Netflix streaming, but I don't think it is anymore.

One of my good friends from school is Iranian and her parents ran a restaurant with the best food. Yum. So you should also start by going out to eat. Fesenjan. Double yum.

Yes, Persepolis was great. Very depressing at times, but definitely describes what many (my cousins, for example) went through.

We're Baha'is, and currently, the Baha'is in Iran are going through lots of persecution. :(

I make a great fesenjan. :)

I really loved reading "Digging to America" by Anne Tyler (fiction)

Me too. Her late husband was Persian.

Get 'Reading Lolita in Tehran.'. It's a good book and in the back it has a great book list. I never would have known about 'My Uncle Nepolean' without it, and it's pretty funny.

I've read both - liked the first okay. Didn't love it.

I hated the ending in My Uncle Napoleon. I remember being in a bad mood for about 2 weeks after. The worst part is that it was a true story. Mind you, I'm a wimp when it comes to tragic endings.

I am an American born in Iran. My father was a pilot for an oil company in the seventies. We left in 1975 and I personally have no memories of it. But my mother has many fond memories and she still has some beautiful carpets that they bought while living there.

There is an interesting book titled, Not Without my Daughter, about an American woman who married an Iranian. They later made a TV movie of it starring Sally Fields.

My husband thinks it's funny when people ask him where his wife is from and he answers with Iran. I have blond hair and blue eyes.

Many people have not believed me when I have told them about my birthplace. And the last time I traveled internationally I was questioned by security about Iran. I was only a teen and scared to death. My husband travels internationally for his job quite often and he would love for me to go with him but I worry about bring questioned.

God Bless,

Elise in NC