Menu

My great aunt died

Luanne

She is my mother's aunt. She was 92 (my mother is 75). Her funeral is Saturday.

My daughter got to know her. My daughter also got to know her great-great grandmother. My mother's grandmother died when my daughter was about 8. She was 99. This great grandmother's husband died at the age of 94.

Not very many people can say that they got to know their great-great grandmother.

Anyone else have family members that lived a long time?

I'm so sorry, Luanne. Both of my mom's grandmothers lived well into their 90's. They were both lovely woman and it blessed me so much to have known them. Not just a vague memory, either; I saw my Great-Grandma Witchell every week for years on piano lesson day, and she always had her famous sugar cookies waiting. My Great-Grandma Palmer was a neat lady, too; very into geneaology and published several books on her family. I didn't know her first husband, who would have been my great-grandfather, but her second husband, George, was a wonderful man and treated all of us like his own. My own grandmother passed away a couple of years ago; she was in her late 80's, I believe. I still miss her so, so much. Even at age 41, I feel too young to have no grandmothers left.

On my dh's side my kids got to meet their great-great grandma. She lived to 101. She did pass away when my kids were little and they don't remember her. They also got to meet one of their great-grandmas on that side of the family as well. She also passed away when they were little. Dh's other set of grandparents are still with us (they are in their 80's) and doing well healthwise.

My grandmother (their great-grandma) is 100 and they know her well. So well that they thought her 100th birthday present should be donuts because she likes donuts.

so sorry for you loss.

I knew my maternal great-grandmother and great-grandfather as well as a great aunt. My great aunt was a very sweet person and died after I was married with kids. My paternal great-grandfather lived until I was in my teens but I never knew him (long complicated story). All my grandparents have passed away at younger ages than their parents. The oldest lived to her mid-80s. The others died of heart disease or cigarette related diseases.

My father-in-law, however, just turned 102.