Menu

Jelly and Jam

Freckles

I mostly just do hedge jam. Whatever I can forage for free. Damsons are really nice in jam if you can get them and I raid a crab apple so I don't have to use pectin. my Main jam this year had all kinds of stuff in it. It was black berry, crab abble, damson, haws, rose hips and elderberries and it is really nice. Bilberries are also really nice, sort of sherberty but I think I combined them with strawberries as the bilberries are only available in small quanitites.

Thank you for replying. As soon as I was done reading your post I took a quick look to see your location because I don't know what hedge jam is. I also have never heard of damson, haws, or bilberries. It sounds really yummy! On a side note, my dream is to visit the UK someday.

I grew up canning all types of food from jams, to fruits/veggies to meats.

I only make jams. Various single berry jams or mixes depending on what is on hand or desired. Strawberry, raspberry, marionberry, blueberry, blackberry, etc.

I freeze various fruits but don't can them. Actually, I prefer freezer jam so I usually freeze my jam also. I use Pamonas pectin so I can reduce/alter sugar content.

I made a bunch of things this year to give as Christmas gifts: carrot cake jam, lemon vanilla jam, cranberry apple jam, blueberry lime jam, candied jalepenos, peach barbecue sauce, salsa, but the one that EVERYONE raved about the most was the vanilla bean applesauce. Here's the recipe:

http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com/2009/11/applesauce-three-ways-and-giveaway.html

Hedge jam is just whatever I can find for free in the local hedges just a mix of what ever is available. I stick it in the freezer if I can't use it straight away. Mostly the stuff I said before. Haws are the berries of hawthorns, I think they grow in a lot of places all over the world as do elders but I am not sure about bilberries, they are fussy and grow on the moor, they're related to cranberries but look like really little blueberries. We call them whortleberries locally. Damsons are just wild plums, they are little and really nice. I am lucky because I can just help my self to the contents of the park and the hedges and no one questions it but I know it's not the same everywhere.

Peach jam, peach butter, peach slices, applesauce, apple butter, pear butter, pear halves, grape jam, blackberry jam, cherry jam, gooseberry jam, whole tomatoes, tomatoe juice, V8 juice, pickled beets, bread and butter pickles, dill pickles, pickle relish, Virginia chunks (sweet pickles). Rhubarb gets frozen. I don't do all of these every year: it depends on how the garden and trees produce. Last spring, all of our fruit trees were in bloom at the same time and we thought we were in for a huge crop...then they all got a late frost and we had nothing. Most of my recipes come from the Ball canning book. I do freeze the fruit to make jam later (when it is cold out). I have dried some fruit in the past but that does not seem to be a favorite of our family, and it is quite a bit of work so have quit doing that. I have tried canning other things, too, but the list above is what I make the most.

Ooh, maybe someone on this thread will know:

What's the title of the children's picture book about a mom and her daughter (maybe in northern Michigan?) who forage berries all year long and turn them into jam for sale so that the daughter can afford school clothes?

I checked it out from the library once but now I can't recall the title!