Menu

Girl Scouts vs AHG?

Stayseeliz

We were part of an AHG troop last spring and we liked it but it wasn't quite what I thought it would be. I thought it was focused on Scripture, etc. It was more skill and badge based. We enjoyed it but the Coordinator was a TERROR. I'm talking terror. I was actually set to be in leadership this past fall with the troop and she got so bad I pulled out completely.

There is a GS troop that meets right around the corner from our house and I was thinking about putting my girls in that troop in the fall. But I'm wondering if all the evils painted of Girl Scouts are really true. I love the AHG set up but it doesn't seem that different than GS, it's 20 minutes away vs 2 minutes away and more expensive.

Any thoughts?

*I* would expect an AHG troop to be foucussed on skills and badges, because if you read through the girls' handbook, that's what it's about. I would expect AWANA, Pioneer Clubs, Girls' Ministries, etc., to be focussed on Scipture because they are church-based, whereas, AHG is not (even though many churches sponsor AHG troops).

Nevertheless, I'm sorry you had such a terrible coordinator. :-( How awful!

I don't think I could do GS, though. I believe those who have talked about the "evils" of GS, and I've seen that brochure that was distributed at the U.N.

But you're in a tough position, with the terrible AHG leader and all. Bummer. :-(

Our AHG troop does a scripture-based devotional before each meeting. We also do badges like "Daughter of the King" and "Bible Basics" in the course of our badge cycle. We like AHG because I prefer the emphases of AHG over GS. I also like that it is set up so that we do things as a troop, not a single age-based group.

I have found that for Girl Scouts it is totally based on the leadership. Our troop is camping oriented skipping the national stuff almost completely. If our troop required the GS Journeys, we would not attend. (we tried them last year and have dropped them for now, if we do them in the future, it would be very, very modified) I do feel that much of the stuff that comes out of the nations Girl Scouts is very feminist and not in line with our morals, how ever, it does not affect our little homeschooled troop.

I am not saying GS is liberal at all. I'm saying that some people paint GS in a bad light and say it's pro choice, liberal etc. Again I am not saying that. I am saying that some people paint it in that light. I didn't mean that AHG wasnt "biblical" enough for me. It was just different than I thought. We did AHG because I knew people doing it and joined in. With the leader having major issues we backed out. I have heard good things about the GS troop down the road.

We've done Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. We found no evil in either, just volunteer moms and dads trying to create a great activity for their own kids and others in the community.

Every scout group is only as good, only as bad, only as sane, only as crazy, as the person who volunteers to lead it (and the others who volunteer to help). You can get a sense of an organization by looking at the national group, but your local experience can and will differ, sometimes vastly. Go and visit the girl scout group, talk to the leader, and see what you think.

GS membership is only $12 a year (plus a vest and initial badges for about $20 if you can't get a used one). I'd give it a try if it's only 2 minutes from your house and you'd like to do a scouting activity with your dds.

Each troop has its own character. Trinqueta spent one year in a public school Brownie troop and it was okay, not great. It was huge, most moms couldn't be involved, they didn't do enough Try-its (in my type-A opinion). Now she's in a Catholic school Daisy, Brownie and Junior mixed troop as a Junior and I'm the J leader. This troop has the advantage of having lots of Cub Scout veteran parents, so we've probably made the experience more outdoorsy and camping focused than other troops.

I have to admit that I find the journeys boring and lame, but if you want to earn a Bronze award you have to do one. I do like the variety and ease of implementation of the badges. We've also concentrated on earning badges in our limited meeting time with the goal of filling up the girls' vests. It gives them a real sense of accomplishment and makes running the meeting easier if we're focused on tangible goals. But, I can't guarantee that the troop near you will run this way, each one is different.

I have found that for Girl Scouts it is totally based on the leadership.

Every scout group is only as good, only as bad, only as sane, only as crazy, as the person who volunteers to lead it (and the others who volunteer to help). Go and visit the girl scout group, talk to the leader, and see what you think.

Very true.

When dd first joined her troop all they did was cookies and crafts. I was expecting and wanting more camping and outdoor activities. I figured we could either look at different troops in the area or become a leader in the current troop and organize trips. So I did... now we camp, hike, or bike once a month. We've been caving and are going rock climbing and white water rafting this spring. Can't wait!

Q: Did GSUSA distribute a Planned Parenthood brochure at a United Nations event?

A: No, we did not. In 2010, GSUSA took part in the 54th Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations. Our participation in that conference was the subject of numerous internet stories and blogs that were factually inaccurate and troubling. Girl Scouts had no knowledge of the brochure in question and played no role in distributing it.

http://www.girlscouts.org/gs_central/mpmf/faqs.asp

I'm really considering GS because I want to be more involved in MY community not one that is 20-30 minutes away. And I really don't plan to go anywhere near the AHG troop unless the current leader is gone. I will admit that in AHG I did just take what the others told me about GS at face value. Not everyone said bad things about it but some did. But I keep seeing the same people post the same articles about GS With new dates on them like they're new. I thought that was odd.

I'm really considering GS because I want to be more involved in MY community not one that is 20-30 minutes away. And I really don't plan to go anywhere near the AHG troop unless the current leader is gone. I will admit that in AHG I did just take what the others told me about GS at face value. Not everyone said bad things about it but some did. But I keep seeing the same people post the same articles about GS With new dates on them like they're new. I thought that was odd.

I am loathe to get involved with even discussing the misinformation that circulates about GS. It is very ugly.

I'd encourage you to go to one of the GS meetings now...don't wait until next year if that is what you are thinking of. There is no problem with joining now! There is a lot of the GS year left.

If you want your DD to join, get involved to what ever extent you can. Talk to the leader and ask if she needs help. Tell her what you are good at/interested in : camping or hiking or crafts or cooking or science or sports or history. Even with the newest GS material, all of these things are still part of the GS program.

HTH

Thanks I might do that. Two different people have invited me to try a meeting. I do want to check it out. What age can girls join? I might have to wait until next year for my five year old.

Kindergarten and first graders are Daisies.

2nd - 3rd are brownies.

4 th- 5th are juniors.

ALL ages are Girl Scouts.

I was a GS Leader for 7 years. My very urban, very liberal area MUST have been slackers because I was never officially (or unofficially) trained on how to spread evil to little girls. My training involved no politics or controversy and was mainly about safety, paperwork, and practical camping skills. Except for the camping part, training was BORING and I would have welcomed global controversy.

Seriously, we camped, we hiked, we crafted, we did various charity and community service events like caroling at a nursing home or assembling casseroles for a soup kitchen. There was NO hidden message behind tye dying socks or having snacks. Really. GS Leaders have control over what their girls do so it WILL vary widely from troop to troop. In 7 years, I never received any sort of political guidance from my local or national councils. We had two hours every other week. We did badge activities (that the girls chose) and planned and held events (mainly camping, field trips, and ceremonies).

I didn't know how 'evil' GS was until the kind folks on the HSing boards educated me. I felt short-changed. If anyone is experiencing the debauchery that is GSUSA, shouldn't it be those of us in the Baltimore-DC councils?!?! I want my Hootchie Mama Badge Kit so I can can know as much about the 'real goal of Girl Scouting' as those who have NEVER participated. Nope, I got stuck helping 6-year-olds thread needles so they could earn their sewing badge. I was robbed!

I was a GS Leader for 7 years. My very urban, very liberal area MUST have been slackers because I was never officially (or unofficially) trained on how to spread evil to little girls. My training involved no politics or controversy and was mainly about safety, paperwork, and practical camping skills. Except for the camping part, training was BORING and I would have welcomed global controversy.

Seriously, we camped, we hiked, we crafted, we did various charity and community service events like caroling at a nursing home or assembling casseroles for a soup kitchen. There was NO hidden message behind tye dying socks or having snacks. Really. GS Leaders have control over what their girls do so it WILL vary widely from troop to troop. In 7 years, I never received any sort of political guidance from my local or national councils. We had two hours every other week. We did badge activities (that the girls chose) and planned and held events (mainly camping, field trips, and ceremonies).

I didn't know how 'evil' GS was until the kind folks on the HSing boards educated me. I felt short-changed. If anyone is experiencing the debauchery that is GSUSA, shouldn't it be those of us in the Baltimore-DC councils?!?! I want my Hootchie Mama Badge Kit so I can can know as much about the 'real goal of Girl Scouting' as those who have NEVER participated. Nope, I got stuck helping 6-year-olds thread needles so they could earn their sewing badge. I was robbed!

LOVE this!

I could write the same thing.

I did hear about the evils of GS from some VERY conservative Catholic friends and it hurt my heart that they thought so little of my judgment and explanations and so much of Internet rumors.

Ditto! The quality of the troop revolves around the parent volunteers and the mix of girls. We have a great Brownie troop and it is very girl-led. My older DD is at the Cadette level and participates in Council activities when she sees ones that interest her, otherwise she works on badges with a couple of friends at sleepovers. As they get older it is harder to fit weekly meetings into their schedules. I like that my girls get to meet others in our town through GS. At other activities such as sports and dance, it is harder to form friendships. For my DDs the friendships are a big part of GS.

This one. Although apparently not produced by GS, I heard an interview with someone who was at the meeting when this brochure was distributed--not an Internet blurb to be debunked, but an eye-witness to the event.

That's not Girl Scouts, it's WAGGGS, an international association that GSUSA (Girl Scouts of USA) are a member of. I'm so tired of these things being spun so that it sounds as if it is coming from GSUSA. I've been a Girl Scout leader for 8 years, and my girls are all teenagers now, and there is no planned parenthood- lesbian- promiscuity agenda going on! My girls go camping, learn new skills, travel, do plenty of community service, and generally have fun! Right now my girls are planning and running a camporee for under privileged girls. I know Girl Scouting has been a positive influence in their lives.

The only place I ever hear about planned parenthood in connection with Girl Scouts is on the internet. In my real life it just isn't happening.

That's not Girl Scouts, it's WAGGGS, an international association that GSUSA (Girl Scouts of USA) are a member of. I'm so tired of these things being spun so that it sounds as if it is coming from GSUSA. I've been a Girl Scout leader for 8 years, and my girls are all teenagers now, and there is no planned parenthood- lesbian- promiscuity agenda going on! My girls go camping, learn new skills, travel, do plenty of community service, and generally have fun! Right now my girls are planning and running a camporee for under privileged girls. I know Girl Scouting has been a positive influence in their lives.

The only place I ever hear about planned parenthood in connection with Girl Scouts is on the internet. In my real life it just isn't happening.

Please read my answer carefully. I did not learn about this on the Internet.

I also did not say that all GS troops promote planned parenthood and all that.

Please read my answer carefully. I did not learn about this on the Internet.

I also did not say that all GS troops promote planned parenthood and all that.

No, I said that the internet was where I learned about it. Because in my real life it just ain't happening. And that brochure that you linked was not issued by GSUSA, the topic of this thread.

I have done both and just prefer the ahg program and setup so much more. Ahg has asked its leaders to not discuss other girl programs. There is just no reason to bash other programs to try and make ahg look better. Girls will like it or they won't. I love ahg...but i know not all troops are great and not all coordinators should be coordinators. See if others in your area are interested in starting another troop? That's what i would do.

For me, the bottom line is that if i had a choice between 2 programs that i thought were similar, i would choose the Christian option.

The issue is that the GS and AHG troops here are NOT equal so I can't just choose the more "Christian" option. Another poster made a comment about a GS leader that made grown women cry. That's what our local AHG leader is like. LITERALLY. I know of at least 5 women she reduced to tears and left the troop because of her. So AHG is NOT an option for us right now. It might be if she leaves the troop. But I don't think I could go even if she were just another member. I just can't do it.

The GS badges suffer from multiple personality syndrome.

Some of them are really skills-based and awesome, like Boy Scout badges. Others are split between these horrid, shallow "stuff that girls like" badges (makeup and fashion feature strongly in some of them) and horrid very left-leaning brainwashing. But the leader makes all the difference.

I have looked into getting an AHG troop started but it is very time consuming and expensive. I might just wait it out until the current leader is gone. The last I heard she was stepping down as the leader after this year.

I wonder if I would get frustrated with girl scouts like I did with boy scouts though. Some of it was great but some was such a waste of time. There were several issues with the troop but I finally pulled the plug after we spent several weeks making silly crafts like paper bag pets. I'm dragging my whole family out at 6pm on a weeknight to make paper bag puppets? Yikes.

I wonder if I would get frustrated with girl scouts like I did with boy scouts though. Some of it was great but some was such a waste of time. There were several issues with the troop but I finally pulled the plug after we spent several weeks making silly crafts like paper bag pets. I'm dragging my whole family out at 6pm on a weeknight to make paper bag puppets? Yikes.

This is the sort of thing that is very discouraging for the leader of any scout groups to read. Yes, some crafts or projects seems silly, but some of them are part of a bigger badge/pin/award. The point is not specific crafts. The point is the kids being together, learning, working toward something bigger. And, kids sometimes don't convey what the lesson was behind a project. We have a lesson planned with marshmallows this year, but it is part of our engineering badge and is intended to demonstrate engineering concepts. Will all of the kids be able to translate that to their parents? Probably not, but just like with homeschooling, exposure is the key.

All scout leaders are giving a lot of their time and energy toward the program. If you are going to get frustrated on lighter nights, then I think maybe you should rethink your reasons for wanting to be involved.

You made paper bag puppets in a boy scout troop????

Whose idea was that? Not a boy's, I'm guessing.

What rank advancement/merit badge requirement did that fulfill?

Gosh, I hope you mean Cub Scouts!

ETA...I'm sorry, my post probably sounds really snarky, but it is unbelievable to me that anyone would think it's a good idea to make paper bag puppets at a meeting for 11-17 year olds.

This is the sort of thing that is very discouraging for the leader of any scout groups to read. Yes, some crafts or projects seems silly, but some of them are part of a bigger badge/pin/award. The point is not specific crafts. The point is the kids being together, learning, working toward something bigger. And, kids sometimes don't convey what the lesson was behind a project. We have a lesson planned with marshmallows this year, but it is part of our engineering badge and is intended to demonstrate engineering concepts. Will all of the kids be able to translate that to their parents? Probably not, but just like with homeschooling, exposure is the key.

All scout leaders are giving a lot of their time and energy toward the program. If you are going to get frustrated on lighter nights, then I think maybe you should rethink your reasons for wanting to be involved.

I was not trying to be snarky or rude. I sat in and watched them make these and it was a "fill up the meeting" activity. It might have been part of a bigger badge but that was not communicated to the parents or the scouts. I know many leaders give so much of their time and energy and I'm thankful for that. I just didn't see how all these things fleshed out for real skills. I know many of the skills are built up over a manner of time. I just didn't understand this one. This was a cub scout troop btw, I think rd was 8 or 9 at the time. I did not mean to offend at all.

I was not trying to be snarky or rude. I sat in and watched them make these and it was a "fill up the meeting" activity. It might have been part of a bigger badge but that was not communicated to the parents or the scouts. I know many leaders give so much of their time and energy and I'm thankful for that. I just didn't see how all these things fleshed out for real skills. I know many of the skills are built up over a manner of time. I just didn't understand this one. This was a cub scout troop btw, I think rd was 8 or 9 at the time. I did not mean to offend at all.

Phew... yes, it was probably for one of their requirements as a Webelos 1 or Bear .

When I homeschooled my younger ds while he was in Cub Scouts and some of the activities were so mundane, but then I realized that all the other boys were in school all day and probably hadn't had the chance to do something so basic. As homeschoolers, we could bang out the requirements for each rank in a matter of 2-3 months if we wanted to. We didn't because the leaders laid out the monthly plans for us, so we knew what to expect each month. Plus, it was age-based advancement, so there was no point!

*I* would expect an AHG troop to be foucussed on skills and badges, because if you read through the girls' handbook, that's what it's about. I would expect AWANA, Pioneer Clubs, Girls' Ministries, etc., to be focussed on Scipture because they are church-based, whereas, AHG is not (even though many churches sponsor AHG troops).

Nevertheless, I'm sorry you had such a terrible coordinator. :-( How awful!

I don't think I could do GS, though. I believe those who have talked about the "evils" of GS, and I've seen that brochure that was distributed at the U.N.

But you're in a tough position, with the terrible AHG leader and all. Bummer. :-(

Very much agree, but then I feel that GS can't be generalized because so much is contingent on the individual scout leader. Check out your local GS troop, and ask if you can attend a meeting to see if you'd like it.

AHG does have to have a church sponsor, but is a Christ centered scouting troop, not a Bible study program for girls.

Another option? Trailblazers for AHG as lone scout? Or start your own AHG troop in your town? Our troop had girls coming from a 30 mile radius and so it was getting really big (before I joined so just heard) and now a troop was started in the city over so ours is now about half the size.

I have looked into getting an AHG troop started but it is very time consuming and expensive. I might just wait it out until the current leader is gone. The last I heard she was stepping down as the leader after this year.

I had a parent take her girl out of my troop because we didn't do enough silly crafting. She said the cub scout meeting was more fun because they crafted at every meeting....haha. It's so dependent on the leader and the other girls in the troop. Some troops are very crafty, some are badge oriented, some do more community service, some focus more on travel. One thing you can do is start your own GS troop. The start up costs are minimal, you made need to pay for some training $5- $10. That depends on your council but you can reimburse yourself when you sell cookies. But when you are the leader you can make the troop what you want it to be. You have meetings at your church and only have girls from your church. You can have a homeschool troop. You can have a troop only made up of your dd's current friends. When you're the leader you get to decide.

Hey, we had to make puppets as Webelos too! It's part of the Showman badge and the kids can put on a puppet show. We did our show at a campout and it was really fun for us. TBH, there are some lame activities that are required to earn badges. I always tell the boys that not everything will always be fun and sometimes you have to do the boring discussion points before you can build the catapult or clean up the turtle habitat. It's just the way it is. As the years go by, I've noticed less grumbling and more readiness to just do what you need to do to get to the good stuff.

When I led GS, we had a co-op, homeschooling troop. Each parent led one meeting and helped with one event. We met from 2-4 pm twice a month. Schedule-wise, it was a great fit. Also, having parents so involved kept it from being a drop-and-run thing where they were out of touch with the goals of the troop. It REALLY cuts down on complaints/criticisms when people have actually led a meeting.

Guest mandala10407

I'm looking into starting a Frontier Girls Troop in our area since the closest one is several hours away. I think it's something my girl would love and it seems like it would be a good fit for our family.

From the Frontier Girls website: "Frontier Girls is a scout like youth program for girls ages 3-18 that we offer as an alternative to the Girl Scout program. We focus on patriotism, traditional values, community service and a love of learning. Patriotism is a character trait we take very seriously in Frontier Girls. All meetings begin with a formal flag ceremony and girls are taught a proper respect for both flag and country. We are also a strong supporter of our military personnel and veterans. Frontier Girls Clubs dedicates an entire section of its program to teaching the girls good character traits such as honesty, responsibility, modesty, and joy, and encouraging them not only to participate in community service projects, but to organize their own."

They have I think it's 1200 badges, including ones for good character traits. If she wants to do farming or rockets they have a badge for that. Also can do badges from Boy Scouts as long as they are age appropriate.

I posted because I was wondering how different the differences between the two are. I guess I could fight for our spot in the ahg trip if gs just wasn't an option but if they aren't that different I'd rather be involved with a troop that has a more positive leader. I guess I could say that ahg isn't an option for us this year until the current leader is gone. I could think about it next year but even if she's just part of the troop the issues with her negative attitude will still come up. But if gs would be a good fit and it's two minutes away I'd like to look into it. I just meant that I can't simply pick one or the other since leadership is not equal.

I posted because I was wondering how different the differences between the two are. I guess I could fight for our support in the ahg trip if gs just wasn't an option but if they aren't that different I'd rather be involved with a troop that has a more positive leader. I guess I could say that ahg isn't an option for us this year until the current leader is gone. I could think about it next year but even if she's just part of the troop the issues with her negative attitude will still come up. But if gs would be a good fit and it's two minutes away I'd like to look into it. I just meant that I can't simply pick one or the other since leadership is not equal.

In my council, girls could visit for two meetings before having to register or make a decision. Can you try that?

I posted because I was wondering how different the differences between the two are. I guess I could fight for our support in the ahg trip if gs just wasn't an option but if they aren't that different I'd rather be involved with a troop that has a more positive leader. I guess I could say that ahg isn't an option for us this year until the current leader is gone. I could think about it next year but even if she's just part of the troop the issues with her negative attitude will still come up. But if gs would be a good fit and it's two minutes away I'd like to look into it. I just meant that I can't simply pick one or the other since leadership is not equal.

In my council, girls could visit for two meetings before having to register or make a decision. Can you try that?