Menu

Need advice - which professionals should we consult?

NorthwestMom

My DH and I are are trying to decide whether or not we should sell our house and buy an "upgrade" in a somewhat better neighborhood, or stay in the one we have and travel more. We want to know the financial implications of both decisions so we can make an informed choice. What type of professional should we consult? I'm sure we should see a realtor, but I'm concerned a realtor would not be able to give us a reasonable estimate on how much moving would really decimate our savings, and might be biased in favor of selling. I'm thinking maybe an accountant? A mortgage broker?

Any advice appreciated.

I agree that this is more of a personal decision. If you wanted professional advice on, say, the long-term financial ramifications of either decision, I might suggest a financial advisor. We see someone through our credit union. But that's more someone to talk to about where your money will do the most work for you, you know?

I would guess a financial advisor - someone who can help you crunch the numbers and see what you can afford. If your neighborhood isn't bad, and you want to travel, I'd do that. Can you do an online mortgage calcluator to help you figure out what your payments would be in a new house, and compare it to your current budget?

When we lived in Raleigh, we had a nice little house in a VERY convenient location. It was perfect for the 4 of us, but when Schmooey came along, we were getting REALLY cramped. We didn't move, though, because we could not beat the location. Now that we live somewhere else, in a bigger house, I love having more space, but I wouldn't have changed what we did before.

Have you made a pro/con list for both options? I really hate moving, so I wouldn't sign up to do that unless I had to.

I don't have much to add, but I wanted to caution you about what sort of financial adviser you see. Many "financial advisers" are selling insurance and other investments and are GOOD at selling you. Make sure you talk to someone who can help you realistically crunch numbers and talk tax implications without selling you stuff.

I don't have much to add, but I wanted to caution you about what sort of financial adviser you see. Many "financial advisers" are selling insurance and other investments and are GOOD at selling you. Make sure you talk to someone who can help you realistically crunch numbers and talk tax implications without selling you stuff.

Definitely be careful. Look for a fee-only financial planner: http://www.napfa.org/

Instead of making money from commissions, you pay them for their time. That way you will get unbiased advice.