Menu

A survey on Gender Roles and Faith -- could you help?

YaelAldrich

My rabbi has a colleague that is working on issues of gender role and faith and is looking for people to fill out this survey.

Thanks in advance!

Yael in Tokyo

*********************************************************************************************************

Tell the world how you feel about gender roles and faith. This is a survey that'll get you thinking.

https://qtrial.qualt...cRYu5GKhZAuVHJr

The statements inside describe attitudes toward the roles of women in society which different people have. There are no right or wrong answers, only opinions. You are asked to express your feeling about each statement by indicating whether you (A) agree strongly, ( B) agree mildly, © disagree mildly, or (D) disagree strongly. The last few questions pertain to religiosity and demographics. Please choose the answer that best describes you and reflects your preferences.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to social science!

Guest inoubliable

Interesting.... there seem to be no way I could answer some of these questions but the very end includes a choice for "atheist" under "religious preference... which is, in itself, a little weird since atheism isn't a "religious preference"...

Some of those statements were just disturbing. Is this a religious attitude? Which religion seriously suggests that women only concern themselves with becoming good wives and mothers?? I'm really curious. "Q10. Women should worry less about their rights and more about becoming good wives and mothers."

I ended up not sending it in. It presumed a lot of this OR that with assumptions that ALL women will or have the ability to become a spouse and parent, that only choice and not circumstances come into play, etc. It also asked if we felt women should do xyz without also asking if we had the same expectation out of men (examply, the question on sexual intimacy).

Some of those statements were just disturbing. Is this a religious attitude? Which religion seriously suggests that women only concern themselves with becoming good wives and mothers?? I'm really curious. "Q10. Women should worry less about their rights and more about becoming good wives and mothers."

It doesn't say "ONLY concern themselves with becoming good wives and mothers," it says "worry less about their rights and more about becoming good wives and mothers." There's a big difference between the two. As a Christian wife and mother I would agree with that statement. Despite what the world thinks on that issue, my calling of wife and mother brings me, and nearly all of those believers that I know, great joy and fulfillment.

I had a tough one with the alcohol part. I really discourage alcoholism in women because it kills them much younger. Not only size, but liver is different. I can't tell you how many demented women I've met at 40 from alcohol.

Not to mention that intoxicated women face a much higher risk of harm from others than intoxicated men. While I suppose a few men probably do get s*xually assaulted while drunk, it's only a tiny fraction of the number of women who do. That particular question IMHO should've been worded: From a moral standpoint, drunkenness in a woman is worse than drunkenness in a man. I don't personally think women getting intoxicated is morally worse than men getting intoxicated, but from a risk of personal harm standpoint, it is.

Interesting.... there seem to be no way I could answer some of these questions but the very end includes a choice for "atheist" under "religious preference... which is, in itself, a little weird since atheism isn't a "religious preference"...

The religious preference question was worded something like "what religious preference, if any, do you identify with". I think the 'if any' is what covered atheism.

And the question you quote doesn't say that women should concern themselves ONLY with becoming good wives and mothers, but that they should worry MORE about that than 'their rights'. A statement I fully agree with, BTW.

The religious preference question was worded something like "what religious preference, if any, do you identify with". I think the 'if any' is what covered atheism.

And the question you quote doesn't say that women should concern themselves ONLY with becoming good wives and mothers, but that they should worry MORE about that than 'their rights'. A statement I fully agree with, BTW.

Because you can't be equally concerned with both? Especially when some rights directly affect being a wife and mother... My point is, these are not two opposing and disconnected items.

Worded to create hot-button answers, not understand women of faith.

Not to mention a few questions do not take into account non-religious reasoning. I may not agree that women should be more careful about where they go and what they are doing, but the truth is that we don't live in a world that follows my feelings. A man can be more careless about putting himself in a dangerous situation without attracting people looking for a victim. Recognizing this has nothing to do with my faith.

Because you can't be equally concerned with both? Especially when some rights directly affect being a wife and mother... My point is, these are not two opposing and disconnected items.

Uh, you sure *can* be concerned with both. I never said you couldn't. ??

I said that *I* agree that a woman should be MORE concerned with being a good wife and mother than her 'rights'. I answered the question the best I could. Honestly, I'm not fully sure I understand what the author of the survey means by 'rights'. But the best I can guess, I'd say they're less important than being a good wife and mother.

Uh, you sure *can* be concerned with both. I never said you couldn't. ??

I said that *I* agree that a woman should be MORE concerned with being a good wife and mother than her 'rights'. I answered the question the best I could. Honestly, I'm not fully sure I understand what the author of the survey means by 'rights'. But the best I can guess, I'd say they're less important than being a good wife and mother.

Example: the ability to feed a baby whenever and wherever a baby needs to be fed and in the manner that is best for both mother and baby (whether bottle or breast) is a right and part of being a good parent. However, women have had to concern themselves with the "right" part of it in order to preserve their ability and as part of their "concern" for being a good parent. Being concerned with one (being a good mother) naturally means that they are equally concerned with the other (breastfeeding rights).

A lot of the survey is, sorry, dumb.

"Women should assume their rightful place in business and all the professions along with men."

Some jobs are better suited for women, on average, and some for men. I don't expect women to beat down the barriers and become house framers in droves, nor do I expect men to want to do childcare. This is OK.

"It is insulting to women to have the "obey" clause remain in the marriage service."

Well, if he's bestowing her with all his worldly goods and worshiping her with his body, I don't care if people want to be that old fashioned.

"Women should take increasing responsibility for leadership in solving the intellectual and

social problems of the day. "

Or....they can do what they want. This is weird, gender-centric language that I just don't like.

A lot of the survey is, sorry, dumb.

"Women should assume their rightful place in business and all the professions along with men."

Some jobs are better suited for women, on average, and some for men. I don't expect women to beat down the barriers and become house framers in droves, nor do I expect men to want to do childcare. This is OK.

"It is insulting to women to have the "obey" clause remain in the marriage service."

Well, if he's bestowing her with all his worldly goods and worshiping her with his body, I don't care if people want to be that old fashioned.

"Women should take increasing responsibility for leadership in solving the intellectual and

social problems of the day. "

Or....they can do what they want. This is weird, gender-centric language that I just don't like.

In some faiths, there are no vows in the wedding ceremony (Eastern Orthodox in particular, probably others as well).