Menu

Which do you prefer - gas or wood fireplace?

KristenR

This is actually one of the main reasons we hardly ever use our fireplace. By the time we sit down together after the kids are in bed and think it would be nice to have a fire, it's not worth the effort to get one going for an hour.

I'll agree with this. I was one of the ones conflating wood stoves with a wood fireplace. Wood stoves are lovely, and you don't have to worry about waiting for the fire to go down, you just leave it. But a wood fireplace you have to stay and tend or put it out before going to bed, and honestly they barely put out any heat; most of it goes up the chimney.

If we're talking fireplaces rather than stoves, I'd do a gas insert with a blower (which is what my parents have, it really does give off heat, way better than a wood fireplace). You can probably get one that will turn on without electricity, just the blower doesn't work. But honestly, in FL I'm not sure you'd need a blower anyway.