Menu

Hey, dog people

Whereneverever

Tell me your feeling after reading this ad...

A beautiful and loving girl, Kalina would love to find her forever home! Weighing in at seventy five pounds, she's a pretty big girl! Her heart weighs about the same. Kalina loves people and will happily greet you with a smile and maybe even a kiss! Sadly, this is Kalina's fifth time being here at the ?...Animal Shelter. Her most recent return happened on January 6th, 2013 and the reason was because she grew too fond of one of the family members and became protective. Some people believe that this is a bad thing, but others believe that it's a good thing. Kalina, or Kali, is extremely housetrained and knows many commands. Sit, stay, shake, down/off, and come are just a few of what she knows! This lovely girl adores other dogs and children, especially newborns. She is very reliable off the leash and is very quiet. We are hoping that Kali will find her new home soon and will stay there!...

5th time being at the shelter? That sounds very strange to me. I would be very hesitant. Just my 2 cents! We recently adopted two puppies from a rescue and have adopted from a shelter in the past.

That part concerns me, too. I'm also wondering about the protective part and how it manifested since biters are put down there. Hmm.

Sounds to me like a euphemism for extremely aggressive around strangers. We've always adopted from the animal shelter, by the way, and the only bad experience we had was with an 8month old black lab mix who was very sweet and loving with my Dh and me, but snarled and excessively barked and growled at strangers.

My initial feeling is that the dog has had several owners who were not prepared to meet her needs (training-wise, etc.), developed some bad habits, and is a dog for an experienced home only that will put forth all effort necessary to move forward with training and activities (by activities I mean what she needs to blow off steam and/or wear down excess energy) that work for her.

ETA: My initial thought was that the dog would not be appropriate for a home with young children, if nothing else "just because." Just because you don't know how the agression manifested.

To me it sounds like she's resource guarding and needs a behaviorist to help solve her problems, along with a patient owner who has time to turn her around. She could also be aggressive toward people in general (as opposed to guarding one).

I would only take her if I were single, lived alone, had no other pets, had lots of time to devote to her, and had talked with every person who had returned her to the shelter. IOW, not going to happen.

"adores children, especially newborns?" That's weird.......

How old are your kids? Are you an experienced dog owner? Do you have other dogs now? I might take her on a trial, but to me it sounds like she's not had clear boundaries and has picked on pack member to whom she was too bonded. Maybe that one person performed all her care, but still, it's odd to have such mixed messages in the adoption ad.

Tough to really say without seeing her, or knowing the policies of this shelter. If they don't screen particularly well, it's conceivable that she's been placed in homes that were not a good fit for her. But then again, it's entirely possible that she's problematic. Tough to say without knowing more.

astrid

are you looking to adopt or you're writing this?

Adopting - don't this dog should NOT be around children

Writing - sounds like a dog w/ issues that are being sugar coated. I think it needs to have included that it requires an experienced dog owner who can work w/ her. Should also add that she should not be in a home w/ children

"adores children, especially newborns?" That's weird.......

How old are your kids? Are you an experienced dog owner? Do you have other dogs now? I might take her on a trial, but to me it sounds like she's not had clear boundaries and has picked on pack member to whom she was too bonded. Maybe that one person performed all her care, but still, it's odd to have such mixed messages in the adoption ad.

Tough to really say without seeing her, or knowing the policies of this shelter. If they don't screen particularly well, it's conceivable that she's been placed in homes that were not a good fit for her. But then again, it's entirely possible that she's problematic. Tough to say without knowing more.

astrid

I thought that was a weird combo, too, and I ended up calling. Apparently she bonded to one member of the family and was aggressive towards the other family members. I have a two month old, a two year old, a special needs five year old and an eight year old. We are experienced dog owners, but that isn't for us with all our kids!

Thanks!

are you looking to adopt or you're writing this?

Adopting - don't this dog should NOT be around children

Writing - sounds like a dog w/ issues that are being sugar coated. I think it needs to have included that it requires an experienced dog owner who can work w/ her. Should also add that she should not be in a home w/ children

Looking to adopt. We ended up adopting another sweet kitty instead. :p

I thought that was a weird combo, too, and I ended up calling. Apparently she bonded to one member of the family and was aggressive towards the other family members. I have a two month old, a two year old, a special needs five year old and an eight year old. We are experienced dog owners, but that isn't for us with all our kids!

Thanks!

Looking to adopt. We ended up adopting another sweet kitty instead. :p

YIKES!! Yeah, definitely the right decision!

Good luck with your sweet kitty!

astrid