Menu

Update from old thread about toddler in church

AndyJoy

I was reading through my old posts and thought I'd do an update on this thread I started almost 2 years ago about keeping my then 18-month-old in church with me.

We tried many of the suggestions given with some little successes but I was still frustrated at times. At the time, the only other toddler at our church was a little boy who was 3 months older and the most mellow child I've ever met. From the time he was born, he would sit on his grandpa's lap and not make a single noise. At 18 months He could hold a ball in his hand and never throw it or say a word about it. I came to realize it was ridiculous to try to live up to this standard! My son and this boy are polar opposites in personality. Shortly afterward, we got an influx of new families and I saw a much wider range of personalities. Even one family whose 2.5-year-old was sitting very well in the service is unable to obtain the same result with their now 2.5-year-old younger child. I stopped stressing and tried stretching the time bit by bit, but didn't worry when we had to leave.

Shortly before his 3rd birthday it was like a switch flipped--he was suddenly able to sit through the entire 1 hour, 15 min. service with just 2 Bible-based board books, water, and a cup of Cheerios. He loves to hold the hymnal and "sing" along loudly. He still makes noise but has a reputation for being adorable rather than distracting, because most of his talking is a well-placed "Amen!" , "We will!", "He's talking about baby Jesus!", or "God is persect (perfect)." On Christmas Eve this was his contribution to the service:

Congregation Sings: "...the little Lord Jesus asleep on the hay."

DS continues: "And baby Jesus goes to sleep by His self without His mommy." "My sing a NEW song by myself!"

Thanks for all the help/support!

That is just precious.

Do yourself a favor and either rewrite that for a journal or print it out and tuck in some pictures. He will love hearing about that one day, and you will love remembering it.

Duly noted! I have a Word Document with all the random cute things he says/does that I post on Facebook. 2 1/2 - 3 1/4. has been quite amusing.