Menu

Raw goats milk.. does it give you

Gosh darn it. This is hard to discuss on the internet!

Here is my second atempt.

It is not like you are ill. It is just ......I can't bring myself to say that either.

About one day.:blushing:

:001_huh: Huh? I'm dense, so I don't giddit!

My dad was allergic to goat's milk and had violent reactions to it. He'd be VERY sick for hours!

I don't get why people drink raw milk. You can get e coli from it, and, at least from cow's milk, undulant fever, plus other bacteria. Why risk it?

The risks are RARE....*IF* you have a trusted source...one that knows how to collect milk in a safe and clean way. And the pasteurization process destroys most of the nutritional value of the milk.

My dd was allergic to cows milk when she was a toddler....so went to goats milk for about 2 years...and we were lucky enough to have a friend with goats that supplied us with raw goats milk...dd never got sick from it....she did extremely well on it....it was a blessing.

The risks are RARE....*IF* you have a trusted source...one that knows how to collect milk in a safe and clean way. And the pasteurization process destroys most of the nutritional value of the milk.

:iagree: Sometimes people who have issues with pasteurize milk, don't have the same issues with the raw milk.

Raw Milk has naturally occurring enzymes that aid in digestion. These are lost during the pasteurization process.

and the risks are rare, almost nonexistent if you are buying from a family farm. Most risks come from animals on factory farms and I would NOT purchase milk from a place like this for raw consumption.

We have owned goats on and off for the last 10 years and have consumed raw milk for most of that time and have nothing but positive results.

In addition, most of my friends raise their own goats and drink the raw milk and several of them provide raw milk for families with infants who cannot, for whatever reason, weren't breastfed and can't tolerate formula and those babies have done fantastic on the raw milk.

Raw milk has many more nutrients than pasteurized milk, and homogenization of milk makes it even more unhealthy for you.

I suggest anyone who has questions about raw milk do some research - you may be surprised at what you find. (http://www.rawmilk.com)

it wasn't goat's it was cow's. I thought we would have to ease into it, but we had no problems.

To the poster who asked why one would risk it, the risk is greater when milk is mass produced. More room for error and contamination. When a family has a family cow or goat, cleans her udders when they milk, the mil goes straight into a sterile container, and then straight into the fridge, the risk of contamination is almost nil.

It is when a farm has lots and lots of cows, many different people are milking, and the care is not there to avoid contamination, that the risk is greater. Any time we try to mass produce something, it is liable to have more issues. And even when lots and lots af cows are present and the milking practices are given great care, like I am sure is the case at Colleen's farm (which is an OV dairy) I am sure it is not likely to get contaminated. I would drink Collen's milk raw in a heartbeat.

Anyway, it isn't as risky as it sounds as long as the farm uses care when milking. And the benefits of non-paturized milk is pretty good. Heating the milk supposedly kills both good and bad bacteria, and the good bacteria is very good for our systems. Andhomgenization is also suspect for some. Many feel that the stablization process isn't good for us either.

More than anyone needed to know.

Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions is a good source.

:iagree: Sometimes people who have issues with pasteurize milk, don't have the same issues with the raw milk.

Raw Milk has naturally occurring enzymes that aid in digestion. These are lost during the pasteurization process.

Absolutely.

I am lactose intolerant when I consume pasteurized milk and cream, and even a certain amount of cheese and butter.

I have no LI issues at all with raw dairy products. Raw dairy is truly a whole food because the nutrients haven't been boiled off, and the vitamins haven't been killed and replaced with fake ones.

I completely agree that you need to have a trusted source. We have friends who are dairy farmers in WI and they drink their own milk raw, and for generations their relatives have done likewise. Colleen has also mentioned here that her husband and boys drink their milk raw, though Colleen personally prefers not to.

• 2 months later...

My dd, 3 yo, has been drinking raw goat milk since she was about 10 mo. She was also breastfed but needed more fat in her diet. We all drink the same milk too and never had an ill effect. It is healthy and as far as my family is concerned we only had very positive results from it. The best thing to do when we do not know is to get informed and educated.