Menu

Oak Meadow for 7th grader?

freeindeed

My dd12 is currently using SL Core F. She used Core D+E last year. She is NOT one who enjoys reading, which I posted about in an earlier thread. I am pretty sure we are making the switch to OM next year. Others have mentioned that we should start with OM 6 b/c it's the first year of a two year history. My question is: if she uses OM 6 in 7th grade, then how will I get in all the years of OM if she is one year behind? Thanks!

I wouldn't put her back a grade just because she'll miss out on history through the Middle Ages. If you're concerned, have her read through the first volume of K12's Human Odyssey series (which covers to about 1400) or the first two volumes of SOTW before starting OM 7 in the fall.

Thanks for the input, ladies. I am really hoping OM will suit her better. She looked over the catalog and samples with me last night & said she likes the looks of it. Any more thoughts about putting her in OM 6? That is what I'm leaning towards doing. She will continue with Saxon math, though. We aren't going to change that. Everything else will be OM.

Thanks for the input, ladies. I am really hoping OM will suit her better. She looked over the catalog and samples with me last night & said she likes the looks of it. Any more thoughts about putting her in OM 6? That is what I'm leaning towards doing. She will continue with Saxon math, though. We aren't going to change that. Everything else will be OM.

Have you decided yet? I'm letting my daughter look over 6 and 7 to see what she might want to do. It's a tough choice for us, since she will continue with advanced math.

We have decided to go with 6. I really want to ease dd12 into the transition from SL to OM. When I showed her the OM samples, her face lit up and she said, "Now that's for me!" :hurray:

Now I'm hoping her enthusiasm never wanes!!!!

That's great to hear! I'm hoping my daughter feels the same. It will have more hands on than anything else she as done and I know that's what she is looking for. Wish us luck!