Menu

Help me get some gluten free ideas.

Remudamom

My son and his family are coming to visit. He's GF. I have some quinoa, some gf seasoned flour, some masa harina corn flour and an obscenely expensive bread mix. I know he wants some fried mountain oysters while he's here (like fried chicken) What else should I buy? What should I make?

I know your trying to be helpful but your best bet is for them to bring his own food and pots and pans. Your house will be a cross contamination nightmare from pots/pans/utensils with residue on them. I doubt your willing to buy all new kitchen ware to cook for him:) When you go GF you literally have to throw out your old nonstick/cast iron and buy new because the gluten stays in the pores/holes in the pans. The bread mix can not be made in the same machine as one used for gluten bread no matter how much you scrub the pan as gluten will be in the rest of the machine which gets into the bread. I can't even use dishes that come out of my moms dishwasher because its an older model and doesn't get them as clean as a celiac needs them to be. Then there is the issue of gluten on things like pot holders and kitchen towels which can come in contact with food. I learned the hard way that this stuff matters big time after getting sick a lot the first 6 weeks or so at my moms. I've always had a GF kitchen my adult cooking life so it was a rude and unpleasant awakening to the challenges of cooking GF in a gluten filled kitchen.

Here's some links that are very correct, unless your willing to go to these lengths PLEASE do not try cooking for a celiac (assuming he is celiac here). I know you want to be helpful but getting sick is NOT WORTH IT.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/settingupthekitchen/tp/Gluten-Free-Cookware-Utensils.htm

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/settingupthekitchen/a/Set-Up-Shared-Kitchen.htm

My mom cooks for me when I visit her and i have never gotten sick. I am pretty sensitive to even low levels of exposure. We dont use enameled or non-stick. I always reccomend sticking to foods that are naturally gluten free - roast meat and potatoes, stir fry with rice, that sort of thing. What kinds of foods do you usually eat? I admit i have not deep fried anything gluten free, except french fries. Oh, and made falafel once - from scratch, though, because all the mixes have flour in them

I've had some success in frying chicken without any flour topping of any sort by simply crowding it skin side down at a med-low heat in my cast iron skillet until the fat renders well and it gets crisp. That's one thing I actually didn't have to toss out when going GF because I'd never used it for cooking anything breaded. I did strip it and reseason it though, and no problems. But I'm simply gluten intolerant, not celiac.

But it isn't the same as regular crispy-fried chicken, no, no. I find it simpler just to not compare that often--it's just going to be different.

I've got to say, though, chicken and dumplings made with a white-rice flour for the dumplings is awesome. I typically use about half white rice flour to tapioca flour and make the dumplings kind of small. My ds9 actually prefers these to regular flour kind, which is good, because it's what he's had to get used to!

Well, I eat gluten-free and have just discovered that I have celiac, and if I wash the pans well enough, it doesn't bother me. Or at least it's not as if I'd actually eaten gluten. No severe intestinal cramping, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I have used gluten free bread to make bread crumbs. I toast the bread, let it sit out to dry for a bit and crumble it in the food processor. It's still more moist than regular bread crumbs, but it works. I then add the bread crumbs to some gluten free baking mix and add seasonings. Dip in egg or milk and dredge in the bread crumb/flour mix.

I made GF onion rings not too long ago, and they were delicious. I bet the batter from those could be used for chicken or fish as well. I didn't save the recipe, but I bet it was toward the top of the "gluten free onion rings" Google results!

I'm gluten-intolerant, not Celiac (suspected in DS3 but we aren't testing), and the only kitchen thing I've had to replace was the waffle iron. I did get sick from that. I like my new waffle iron better anyway.

Mix corn masa with some cornmeal for frying or use Zataran's fish fry mix. If you dip it in milk and egg mixture and then dip it in either mix, then dip it in egg mixture and the mix again, it will come out really good. I'd do the Zataran's if you have time to make it to the store.

Dh likes fried green tomatoes and I will do those with the cornmeal and corn masa mix.

What other things does he like and I will give you some more hints on how to make it.