Menu

Low Blood Pressure--can I self-treat?

Garga

When I exercise by walking, I'm fine. But when I amp up the exercise just a little bit, to a slow jog, I get dizzy if I move my head too quickly. This will happen for the entire day that I exercised. The room will spin for a few seconds if I look over my shoulder, or if I bend down to tie a shoe, or when I flop down into bed that night.

Also, when I stand up in church, every single time, I get lightheaded, whether or not I've exercised. I thought everyone did this. Apparently not! :) I'm not sure why it only happens in church. Maybe the way the pews make my legs sit? The blood can't circulate properly? Dunno.

I'm pretty sure it's low blood pressure. Whenever I have my blood pressure taken, it's always on the low end. My moderate jogging is apparently lowering it even more.

From my quick look at the internet, the only suggestion that I'm not already doing (like not drinking alcohol) is to drink more liquids. I don't drink enough throughout the day, that's a fact. I don't want to go on medicines. Is there anything I'm missing about how to treat this low blood pressure other than just "drink more liquids"?

I may also be anemic, so I'm going to be faithful about taking my multivitamin now.

Or am I being silly trying to figure this out on my own? I just don't see the need to rush to the doctor immediately, if by drinking more I solve the problem. Or if there's something I could eat that would help.

I tend towards low as well and when I was pregnant it was even lower. One thing I figured out was that lower blood sugar can make this worse. I noticed if it had been a while since I ate or I hadn't ate much I had a lot more difficulty, so that is something to consider as well.

Well you shouldn't take advice from me since I mostly self medicate now.

Hypotension may be caused by a hypothyroid issue or diabetes. Get both of those ruled out first. Dehydration can also cause low BP. Make sure you drink enough liquid (all liquids count but water is best) that your urine is pale yellow to clear. That should be standard for anyone.

Compression stocking may help. Consuming more salt may help. Caffeine consumption may being your BP up to normal. Make sure you eat the cleanest diet available for you.

And if you do bring it up, have it checked periodically to make sure you've not gone to the other extreme.

Salty snacks and drinking more. And it could be worth getting a specific iron supplement if you are anaemic since some of the vitamins when they are in combination stop you absorbing other ones as efficiently. I think you should see a doctor if you think you are anaemic though because you dont want to over do supplements and you dont want to leave it and get really ill either.

as a teen, I used to have low blood pressure

things I changed: drink more fluids

eat more salt. My mother never salted anything. absolutely nothing. do you know what oatmeal tastes like with no salt?

just those two things I feel much better.

My DH has low bp, also. A few years ago he passed out and ended up spending the night at the heart hospital. Several people asked if he was a marathon runner because it was so consistently low. He's not but he is a restaurant manager so is on his feet moving all day. His cardio dr. recommended upping his salt intake and he hasn't had a problem since.

My DH has low bp, also. A few years ago he passed out and ended up spending the night at the heart hospital. Several people asked if he was a marathon runner because it was so consistently low. He's not but he is a restaurant manager so is on his feet moving all day. His cardio dr. recommended upping his salt intake and he hasn't had a problem since. Also, when he gets up in the morning he sits on the side of the bed a few moments before actually getting up.