Menu

When do you plan for the next year?

I just realized that I have yet to plan for the next year, which begins (for us) in September. Part of this is related to the move, and the fact that I've packed the majority of my homeschooling items. Part of it comes from taking a mid-July vacation back home (if you can call going home a vacation).

When I looked at the calendar today, I realized August is only 1 week away; our move is just about 9 weeks away.

So I think I had better get started with planning!

I just realized that I have yet to plan for the next year, which begins (for us) in September. Part of this is related to the move, and the fact that I've packed the majority of my homeschooling items. Part of it comes from taking a mid-July vacation back home (if you can call going home a vacation).

When I looked at the calendar today, I realized August is only 1 week away; our move is just about 9 weeks away.

So I think I had better get started with planning!

We start the day after Labor Day and I'm usually about done planning by now. I haven't even finished picking out curriculum yet. So I'm right there with you! :willy_nilly:

Summer is going by so fast isn't it? I couldn't believe it yesterday when I realized it was the 24th.

I wish you luck! :001_smile:

I plan when I get the desire to, which happens at different times during the year. I go from general ideas and plans, to more specific plans as the year goes on. I refine and refine until eventually I have something to make daily schedules from- but even then, I only do a term ahead.

But, I happen to love planning, so its not a chore.

As a curriculum junkie and planning guru, I have folders labeled for each year through 2010-2011 where I throw ideas. I have a spreadsheet titled School Thoughts where I have lined up different sequences through 2016-2017 as they have come to me and I play with it and change it frequently.:D Yea, it's a disease.

In Dec I try to narrow our field of study and make a decision by March, so that I am ready with a purchase list at the various curriculum fairs. When the old school year wraps, I start scheduling the next year's books (except math, I long, long ago gave up scheduling math). I like to have a schedule planned out by mid-July, so we can start around the first week of Aug.

I'm ill. I know.

Mandy

We're starting our 12th year in September (well, I'd like to start in August, but...). Every single other year, I have ordered my materials in the spring, took off the month of June, spent July and August reading, planning, and preparing.

As you said, August is one week away. I haven't even decided what to use yet, let alone get it ordered and planned. :glare: I am in complete denial. Summer is just too much fun!!!

Ah, well. It'll all get done.

Wow. What a wide range of ways of doing things! I had hoped to be a June planner when it comes to the following school year, and I do have several items (books, worksheets, projects, etc.) ready to go for 1st grade. I just haven't sorted everything yet, physically or on paper.

I feel motivated to really get into it tomorrow (I didn't today, because I spent my time catching up on these boards, so I can be totally up to date... but that seems like it will be a difficult thing to do! Heh heh. Guess I'll have to pick and choose the posts to read!).

Thanks and good night. :D

Aha! Now that is a idea I had not even considered. What a smart way to do things! It makes perfect sense, and I can't believe I didn't think of it. I think that is how I will do it from now on (now that I've got the 2008-2009 school year planned).

THANK YOU!

I try to do most of my planning by mid-May so I can go to the NC home educators conference and get most of my supplies there. Just this week-end I've done my daily planning for the first seven weeks of school, which will start mid-August. I usually do daily planning in 5-7 week chunks. That way, when life happens and I get off by a few days, I don't have to redo the ENTIRE year; I can correct where we are the next time I write out my plan.

I plan for the next year during the winter, and purchase curriculum in the spring with our tax refund.
:iagree: Yep, that's what I do. The latest I usually plan is May. By June I usually have all my curriculum in hand. Then I have to get around to doing the scheduling, which is hard for me to get around to doing. I'm so excited when I get the curriculum stuff I ordered! I put it up on the shelp and am happy to see it there! But I'm often up late the week or a couple of days before we want to start school figuring everything out! :tongue_smilie:

This is my 15 year of homeschooling and that question never fully rests in my mind. Why can't I just have a little break and enjoy the fruit of last year before I need to jump in and make all of the new decisions? I especially "freak-out" as each child enters 8th grade. So far, I have worried through three 8th grade years, instead of enjoying them. Maybe by my youngest's 8th grade year, I will learn to relax about High School.

The week my kids go to church camp. They asked me this week "What are you doing while we are away (I'm closing the school/daycare that week, too).

I told them "planning your education for a stellar future". My son said "You have issues.":lol::lol:

PS: I'm going right ahead and planning for my oldest son's homeschool year, too, while in prayer.

:lol:

Too funny!!!

Well, I feel great. We have our SOTW book and activity book; I'm just waiting on the CDs. Got everything secondhand at fabulous prices, and then I happened upon some other books I already had.

It is great when you are cleaning house for your move, and you discover things that could be helpful in your child's education.

I choose curriculum in the Spring and try to have it all purchased by mid-June. Then, I spend July and August doing detailed planning so we can be ready by the second week of Sept.

Here too, but we start the first week of September.

Then of course there are years like this one where I'm still buying curriculum in August.:lol: