Menu

The bunny must die!

Three weeks ago we moved into our new house. Despite the fact that our boxes just got delivered 2-weeks ago (thank you worthless PODS company), and we should have been unpacking like crazy, we decided to take the time to put in a garden. We usually start with seeds, but since the clock is ticking on summer, I bought some small plants. We figure if we have a long summer we might get something out of it. The entire family participated, and the kids had a blast. My boys love to work in the garden - well the youngest mostly likes to play in the dirt and dig up potatoes when they are ready.

So, dh and I grab a cup of coffee and head out to check on how the garden is coming along, only to discover that the bunny has eaten all of the lettace, and half of the broccoli plants. I.WAS.FURIOUS. I came into the house and told the boys. My oldest dh responds, "The bunny must die!" Frankly, I agree. The Bassett Hound has been informed that if she catches it, I will grill her steak for dinner.

Krista

Allow 1 pound per person. A rabbit weighs 1 1/2 to 4 pounds...... The meat is liek chicken or veal. Soak wild rabbit 1 hour in salted water to which has been added 2 tablespoons vinegar. Cut in pieces. Fricassee (p398) or fry (p390) like chicken using bacon fat.

I thought you might find this information useful. Rabbit is good. Tastes just like chicken.;)

Three weeks ago we moved into our new house. Despite the fact that our boxes just got delivered 2-weeks ago (thank you worthless PODS company), and we should have been unpacking like crazy, we decided to take the time to put in a garden. We usually start with seeds, but since the clock is ticking on summer, I bought some small plants. We figure if we have a long summer we might get something out of it. The entire family participated, and the kids had a blast. My boys love to work in the garden - well the youngest mostly likes to play in the dirt and dig up potatoes when they are ready.

So, dh and I grab a cup of coffee and head out to check on how the garden is coming along, only to discover that the bunny has eaten all of the lettace, and half of the broccoli plants. I.WAS.FURIOUS. I came into the house and told the boys. My oldest dh responds, "The bunny must die!" Frankly, I agree. The Bassett Hound has been informed that if she catches it, I will grill her steak for dinner.

Krista

May I recommend chicken wire with the bottom buried below the soil line until your basset can dine on steak?

Krista

We have huge bunny problems where I live. I can sympathize with your plight. After doing a ton of research, I have come to the conclusion that there's not much you can do. We've used a deer repellant spray-but not on garden stuff. It works, but you have to reapply after watering:glare: I've tried sprinkling cayenne pepper with varying success. I've been told that bunnies don't like marigolds because of the stench. Well, if bunnies are hungry enough, they'll eat anything. One hard winter, the bunnies literally stripped the "bark" of my rosebushes, big thorns and all.

Right now I am trying container gardening. I have the container up on some steps. So far the bunnies haven't decided to climb the steps. But, that doesn't stop birds and squirrels. :glare:

Good luck with your garden.

Holly

Growing up there was an elderly husband and wife who had a beautiful garden that we knew. They were the sweetest couple, really. And, their garden was, indeed, something to see.

This sweet, elderly lady, did have one thing that made her not so sweet . . . bunnies! My Mom was asking her one day what she does for bunny control and she replied "Well, if I can get a hold of 'em I would take 'em by the ears and beat them up against the side of the house!"

Our sweet, sweet elderly friend had a violent side to her!!! :)

We have huge bunny problems where I live. I can sympathize with your plight. After doing a ton of research, I have come to the conclusion that there's not much you can do. We've used a deer repellant spray-but not on garden stuff. It works, but you have to reapply after watering:glare: I've tried sprinkling cayenne pepper with varying success. I've been told that bunnies don't like marigolds because of the stench. Well, if bunnies are hungry enough, they'll eat anything. One hard winter, the bunnies literally stripped the "bark" of my rosebushes, big thorns and all.

Right now I am trying container gardening. I have the container up on some steps. So far the bunnies haven't decided to climb the steps. But, that doesn't stop birds and squirrels. :glare:

Good luck with your garden.

Holly

We plant a garden every year, and we have never had a problem with bunnies. The only thing I ever had to fence out was the chickens. We are living in a different area of the country, so maybe the bunnies where we lived before were just more considerate ;)

Krista

Growing up there was an elderly husband and wife who had a beautiful garden that we knew. They were the sweetest couple, really. And, their garden was, indeed, something to see.

This sweet, elderly lady, did have one thing that made her not so sweet . . . bunnies! My Mom was asking her one day what she does for bunny control and she replied "Well, if I can get a hold of 'em I would take 'em by the ears and beat them up against the side of the house!"

:lol: Was her name Mrs. McGregor?

:lol: Was her name Mrs. McGregor?

:smilielol5:Too funny! Thank you for the laugh!:smilielol5:

Mr. Dave, the tall, sweet, elderly man next door has said similar things about the bunnies and his garden.

Then there was the time we were at the Raleigh Inn in Williamsburg. My sister's boyfriend thought the waitress said rabbit when she said rarebit. When it arrived, we all looked for the rabbit meat. There wasn't any... My sister didn't marry that guy...

My dd has a stuffed bunny, her fave toy, that she has given a whole personality--he "goes" everywhere with us, is a member of our fam, and we adore him, truly. She often stands behind me and looks at titles on here--I just thank God she wasn't looking when I saw this one, or I may never have gotten back on again!

I do hope you are joking, btw? This poor bunny must need the food so much more than you guys?

Krista,

I read the title of the thread and thought you were going to tell us that you were pregnant! :lol:

I too thought it had something to do with pregnancy...but if the expression is 'the rabbit died' when one is pregnant, I could only assume she HAD to get pregnant...She seemed rather serious about it. :)

There is a guy at our church....he is sooo funny that sometimes it is annoying. You can't hardly have a serious conversation with him. BUT, this is what happened when he tried to exterminate a phantom pest...

His little girl was trying to grow chickens. They were in a little area with chicken wire. Got up one morning, all the chickens had been beheaded. Quickly replaced chickens. Next morning same thing. So, he's sitting out on the back stoop with his gun....He's ready to shoot the coyote, fox, whatever it is that keeps beheading his dear little girl's chickens (she is the only girl, and baby, of 5 kids). He hears a noise, hears the chickens squawking (or whatever it is that they do) turns the floodlight on. There is a racoon with her front paw through the chicken wire, and 3 baby raccoons standing with her. He couldn't shoot her. He turned off the light and went inside, trying to figure out how he was going to explain it to Liz.

Of course, he tells it so much better than I do, but I still think it is a cute story.

You need my cat. She is a regular homicidal maniac where small mammals are concerned (not so much birds, which is weird.) ANyway, my inlaws like it when we visit them between cross country moves and have her with us- she murders all their rabbits that plague their garden. The only disturbing part is that she often decapitates them and the heads are just *gone* (we think she has a shrine somewhere) and she leaves them on the porch or sometimes IN THE HOUSE if she can get inside carrying the body.

Squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, rats (we have some neighbors whose backyards are filled with garbage and I know they come from there), shrews, moles, voles, mice- you name it, she kills it. I should hire her out.

I will gladly lend you our rambo-kitty....Sunday she left us two little dead bunnies in the drive way....ate one before we could dispose of it and then threw it up on my carpet at 11 that night....ugh :001_huh:

But our garden is intact lol. My neighbor says ours is the only garden that hasn't been taken over by bunnies this year. She's planning to get a cat.

We have bunny problems too.:glare: I have all my tomato and pepper plants in big planters on top of my picnic table. My boy scottie dog loves nothing better than hunting bunnies but he was dragging them under our deck and rolling in them and stunk to high heavens so we fenced off a section of the back yard for him where he can't get to the deck.

Well, needless to say, now the bunnies have taken over. One of them even chased my dsil, she says they're attack rabbits.:confused: The other night the dogs were making a huge ruckus and ds went to see what the problem was. There was our dogs in their little fenced in area, on the other side of the fence there was like a dozen rabbits, they were just standing there staring at our dogs and I couldn't really tell but I'd swear they were sticking their tongues out at them.:tongue_smilie: Ds decided the best thing to do was to fire his rifle into the air to frighten the bunnies away. So... ds fires the gun but the bunnies just turn around and stare at ds as our terrified dogs run in the house. By this time I'm pretty sure the bunnies were laughing.

Yea, were having Hassenpfefer as soon as we catch the one that's eating our green bean plants! And we have a fence around our garden..:glare: ..and three cats.. who obviously aren't doing there job.:glare:...and a German Shepherd...

The cute little fluffy thing is more devious than he appears!!! :toetap05: He likes to make you think he is all cute, sweet, and cuddly..and then...BAM!! right out of left field, the second you turn your back.... he destroys your most prized, hard-earned possessions. Not to mention, he's stealing food out of the mouths of our babes.:D

Yes!! The rabbit MUST die!!!!

HASSENPFEFER it is!!!!!!:drool5:

Or can you borrow one often?

There were lots of rabbits all over when we moved here. But we have adog. She pees in the yard. The smell keeps the rabbits away.

If you have one, it should work, maybe slowly. The reason you may have to borrow one often is that every time it rains, the smell will wash away.

My dd has a stuffed bunny, her fave toy, that she has given a whole personality--he "goes" everywhere with us, is a member of our fam, and we adore him, truly. She often stands behind me and looks at titles on here--I just thank God she wasn't looking when I saw this one, or I may never have gotten back on again!

I do hope you are joking, btw? This poor bunny must need the food so much more than you guys?

Have you read The Velveteen Rabbit?

Well, needless to say, now the bunnies have taken over. One of them even chased my dsil, she says they're attack rabbits.:confused: The other night the dogs were making a huge ruckus and ds went to see what the problem was. There was our dogs in their little fenced in area, on the other side of the fence there was like a dozen rabbits, they were just standing there staring at our dogs and I couldn't really tell but I'd swear they were sticking their tongues out at them.:tongue_smilie: Ds decided the best thing to do was to fire his rifle into the air to frighten the bunnies away. So... ds fires the gun but the bunnies just turn around and stare at ds as our terrified dogs run in the house. By this time I'm pretty sure the bunnies were laughing.

Curse of the Were Rabbits! .......

You need to see this Wallace and Grommit movie :) :)

My dh got a kick out of this story....:lol:

Krista

You need my cat. She is a regular homicidal maniac where small mammals are concerned (not so much birds, which is weird.) ANyway, my inlaws like it when we visit them between cross country moves and have her with us- she murders all their rabbits that plague their garden. The only disturbing part is that she often decapitates them and the heads are just *gone* (we think she has a shrine somewhere) and she leaves them on the porch or sometimes IN THE HOUSE if she can get inside carrying the body.

Squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, rats (we have some neighbors whose backyards are filled with garbage and I know they come from there), shrews, moles, voles, mice- you name it, she kills it. I should hire her out.

Send her over! We had a barn cat that hunted like your cat. While fine with people, she was so mean to the other animals that if she was laying on the porch, and the dog wanted in the house, I would have to physically pick her up, so the dog could come in. The dogs were terrified of her, and would not go anywhere near her.

Krista