Menu

7/25 Runners check in

I looked first and didn't see one for today.

I walked with dh this a.m. 8/10ths of a mile.

I did 3 more of those just now, running almost half of it. So 2.4 miles just now with a 3.2 total for the day!

I'm about to drop. Anyone else look like they are about to die after running? A full 15 minutes after mostly walking (fast but still walking) the girl at the drycleaners asked me if I had a bad sunburn. :glare:

I looked first and didn't see one for today.

I walked with dh this a.m. 8/10ths of a mile.

I did 3 more of those just now, running almost half of it. So 2.4 miles just now with a 3.2 total for the day!

I'm about to drop. Anyone else look like they are about to die after running? A full 15 minutes after mostly walking (fast but still walking) the girl at the drycleaners asked me if I had a bad sunburn. :glare:

Very good. I get the same way on warmer days. Thankfully it's been high 60's in the mornings.

I got in 5 miles running about 50minutes total. I allowed myself to walk 1 minute after every 15minutes.

Those numbers would be awsome...lol. I mean 5 miles 65min total but ran 50minutes of that. walking 1 min every 15 minutes. then the last 10min. I really don't think my short legs will ever make more than 1 10min mile at a time.

I got in 5 miles running about 50minutes total. I allowed myself to walk 1 minute after every 15minutes.

Wow. I aspire to be you. :)

I forgot to add that it took me 25 minutes to run/walk those 2.4 miles. That is 10 minutes better than dh and I have been walking it.

And I hate dogs that are not on leashes!

I'm running along ad this dog comes out of nowhere and barks (in the "you are in my space" kind of way, not friendly at all!) at my dog. I told, maybe yelled is a better word, "NO!" and kept running. This dog runs up to us - following us - and barks again. "NO!" and kept running. I had run into this woman and this dog several months ago. I called the police on her then because that time I thought her dog was going to attack mine. But I had seen where she left th path and so figured this would be the last I would see of her.

I continued on my run. About 1 - 1.5 miles later, I turn a corner and see the dog again. He barks again I say "NO!" again. Then I actually cross paths with the owner. "You know if you don't get excited..." "You're dog is supposed to be on a leash!" She goes on but I just keep running and saying "You're dog is supposed to be on a leash" as I go.

Last time I saw her, she tried telling me that her dog was friendly. That was not a friendly bark. It was a "You are in MY space" bark. Then she tried telling me not to run from him. Well, running is what I do. I'm not a walker. Then this "don't get excited" thing? I say nothing to her dog until he is menacing to mine. Oh, and my dog is easily 3 times the size of this one. I called the police on her before, I'll do it again. :rant: And just so you know. I only care about the dogs who are bothersome. I run into dogs all the time who are not on leads who do not bother me or my dog.

Anger makes you run faster though. I finished in under a 10:30 average pace!

First, I slept until 8:30 at which point I woke up in a panic about getting dd up and ready for dance camp. By the time I got her out the door, it was an hour later and up to 86 degrees outside. Yuck. My dh just got back from a business trip last night and decided to run with me. After about 10 minutes, I wanted to walk so badly. I kept going until I saw dh ahead of me walking at which point, I gave up. We walked for a minute or so, ran some more, walked another couple of minutes and then finished our 25 minutes running. It was not a good run. I'm blaming it on the heat. Now I'm debating whether to go back and repeat week 6 of C25k or just keep attacking this 25 minute run until I can do it more consistently before adding 3 more minutes to it. My calf feels all better though - I stretched it several times throughout the day yesterday and it seemed to do the trick.

Now I'm debating whether to go back and repeat week 6 of C25k or just keep attacking this 25 minute run until I can do it more consistently before adding 3 more minutes to it.

Yes to the heat and an even bigger nod if it was humid!

How did week 6 feel while you were doing it? Did it feel good? Challenging? Or out and out hard? If it felt good, do this week over. If it felt challenging, do another couple days of that, but not a full week. If it was out and out hard, do it over.

If it were me, I'd probably keep to the 25 minute mark until I was consistent.

Go down tomorrow, shorter than 25 minutes. Then go back up your next day running. When you get to the point of a training program after you've been running for a while - you never run the same distance every day. Monday might be 4.5, Tuesday 3, Wednesday 4.5, Thursday cross train, Friday rest and then Saturday is 7. (I sort of made these numbers up!) Anyway, the variety may be what you need.

I did a short run today, 3 miles, since I like to get my longer run in on Saturday. This week has felt discouraging as far as running goes. When will I accept the fact that this will never, ever come easily to me? I will never go out there and feel like a light-footed deer, bounding along. I'll never get that adrenaline rush people talk about. I'll never look down at my watch and be surprised at how much time has passed. I just won't. And I need to accept that. I need to accept that even after all this time, I have many, many days when I run a mile or two and then need to walk for a minute. When I start running and within a hundred yards ~ I kid you not! ~ am feeling cruddy. When the two-inch split in my abdominal wall, cinched together with mesh, feels like it's about to rip open. When I have to use every ounce of mental energy to just push myself on and not give up altogether in discouragement. Honest to goodness, if there was an runner's award given for persistence in the face of lack of improvement and lack of ease, I'd be top dog.

Anyway. I went. I did not finish well, but I finished and tomorrow is another day and all that jazz.:tongue_smilie:

Yes to the heat and an even bigger nod if it was humid!

How did week 6 feel while you were doing it? Did it feel good? Challenging? Or out and out hard? If it felt good, do this week over. If it felt challenging, do another couple days of that, but not a full week. If it was out and out hard, do it over.

If it were me, I'd probably keep to the 25 minute mark until I was consistent.

Go down tomorrow, shorter than 25 minutes. Then go back up your next day running. When you get to the point of a training program after you've been running for a while - you never run the same distance every day. Monday might be 4.5, Tuesday 3, Wednesday 4.5, Thursday cross train, Friday rest and then Saturday is 7. (I sort of made these numbers up!) Anyway, the variety may be what you need.

Thanks for the support. Yeah, not only was it hot, but also very humid - I live in Louisiana where it's hot and humid 6 months/year. I usually try to get up and going before 8am. As for week 6, it felt challenging but not overly hard. Running 20 minutes the week before boosted my confidence. The 25 minute run on Tuesday was tough, but I talked myself through it. Today, I just could not do it.

Sorry you didn't have a good run today. But thank you for posting about it. As a new runner, it really helps me to know that there are ups and downs. Today I was feeling crappy because I didn't do very well. I though that if I ran 25 minutes the other day, I should be able to run that far everyday. It was encouraging to read your post today. But again, sorry it wasn't a better day for you.

I HAVE run...just earlier this year, but will you guys accept my 30 minutes swimming laps? Would you rather I begin a swimming thread...or excercise thread? I will train to run the half marathon again starting in September. You are all just so encouraging.

I'm pretty sure if they will let me report my pathetic mostly walking attempts your laps are more than welcome. Where do you swim? I would LOVE to swim. I'm even thinking of joining a health club just for that.

Today was a break day. Tomorrow - 4.5 miles. Hopefully I'll be up and out the door b/f it gets too hot. Colleen, I think you're stellar. You are FAST. You have bad days, and your honest with that, but girl, you run A LOT and you have good speed! I'm sad to hear that you're still feeling your surgery. I don't feel mine at all. Maybe yours was worse than mine. I don't have any mesh - they just pulled the muscles together and sewed me up. My scar runs hip bone to hip bone. It has faded a lot, but it's still there. That was 7 1/2 years ago - hard to believe.

~Cindy

Is this thread for new runners? Do you have to be training for something?

I don't spend tons of time on the General Board but tonight here I am and saw this. I skipped out on running tonight b/c i was just too tired (probably b/c I did not run enough this week:001_huh:)

Thanks!

For any runners/walkers/and swimmers! Someone usually just starts a report in the morning and then whoever wants to checks in with a report. It's been fun to hear what everyone is doing. Some of the women are new to running, others are running crazy mileage with lightning speed (that would not be me). Some are training for a race, others are just running to run. So, feel free to join us!

:) Cindy

Where do you swim? I would LOVE to swim. I'm even thinking of joining a health club just for that.

We live in florida, we have a pool, that's where I swim. I do all lot of running at our gym, on the eliptical, the treadmill gave me shin splints when I was training for a distance run. It's too hot to run outdoors for me.