Menu

Quest to find best compass for geometry

It seems like they they don't make good compasses these days. I remember having a metal one that measured the circle for you, but all I seem to find are cheapy plastic ones that are frustrating to use and cumbersome because you have to use a rule to measure. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

• Staedtler® Geo Student Compass
    Reviews forStaedtler® Geo Student Compass 3.5stars (43reviews)
    • Micro-set center wheel leg adjustment
    • 2mm drawing lead can be sharpened/replaced
    • Maximum circle drawn 7 3/4"

Here's a sample of a good qualitly compass from the office supply store called Staples. They only cost around $6 or so. What I look for in a compass is not plastic, but rather metal construction. The ability to adjust and "lock" the compass so it doesn't slip when using is esp. important in geometry when you are measuring angles, recreating similar or congruent angles, geometric designs, etc. The cheaper plastic ones just don't work and are constantly slipping and losing accuracy (plus just darn frustrating!) I'd also buy a good protractor. My kids liked the smaller protractors that are made of clear plastic as they are easier to manipulate and you can see through to the "problem" that your measuring. Oh yeah - a small 6 inch clear plastic ruler is also handy to have esp. for geometry.

Myra