Menu

Can a "dumb" phone be used as a hotspot?

BlsdMama

We've decided to significantly change our media consumption. The smart phone I have is making me feel like one of Pavlov's dogs--- the "bell" rings and my mouth waters a bit in anticipation. Sigh. I've been trained to check my email 15 times a day.

So, we want to go to a dumb phone. However, we have made the choice to also not have internet accessible in our home. (We have easy access through the library and a laptop we can take to the coffee shop, etc.)

My hotspot is nice for occasional use, balancing my checkbook, etc.

I could go without it, but I am curious if a dumb phone can have a hotspot?

In theory or in real life application?

Because, in theory, that would work great!

In real life, no. I have self control in many areas. Anything involving the internet is NOT one of those areas. Sigh. I've fought it off and on, I've denied it often, but frankly, Facebook, email, researching... all songs of a siren.

In theory or in real life application?

Because, in theory, that would work great!

In real life, no. I have self control in many areas. Anything involving the internet is NOT one of those areas. Sigh. I've fought it off and on, I've denied it often, but frankly, Facebook, email, researching... all songs of a siren.

then having access to a hotspot probably wont help lol

it depdnds on ur phone- and tbe plan. the phone needs to have internet capability and you need to have a provider that allows for intermitant use. call ur provider and ask about ur options.

Guest smf7293

I don't think a dumbphone can act as a hotspot by itself. But if you don't have Internet access at home you might want to check out a service like Quickmailcheck that allows you to get your emails through text and picture messages.

My dh has a phone which is not completely dumb but sort of a halfway house. That can act as a hotspot . It has a basic web browser on it but nothing like a smart phone. So you could go to a halfway house type phone. It's a Nokia n95 that is pretty old for a phone but stll going strong.