Menu

Do you prefer the older Sonlight Core 100 IG or the newer editions? (X-post)

We are returning to SL from MFW next year. I am starting to search for used complete cores. All I've found so far are older editions 2008 and up. I know that a few of the books have changes and that SL has changed the IG's so that the student portion is separate. I need to help figuring out which is the best way to go. Any thoughts/ideas on this?

• 1 month later...

I have older versions (I think mine are from 2003). I just stick with what I have. I don't think the few changes are worth the price to pay for new. Expecially the younger ages. The readers involved with the younger grades are just good story books and do not go along with the History anyway. If it were me i wouldn't pay to have an updated one.

I notice that your son will be in 9th grade. When I used Sonlight 100 with my twin 9th graders in 2004, they were very frustrated by what they considered some "babyish" books. And these two weren't advanced students. I ended up ditching Sonlight 100 in the second semester, improvising for the rest of the year, and returning to a great books study for 10th grade. Looking at the current Sonlight 100, I see that at some point (I don't know when) they added some books which could be considered high school level (Enders Game and Their Eyes Were Watching God, for example), but they still have several of the books my sons labeled "babyish". I wish Sonlight would come up with U.S. History and World History courses that are truly and thoroughly high school level. In the meantime, if I were going to use this with a 9th grader, I'd wait and hope they make some more changes this coming year, and I'd buy an updated guide. It would be worth the price.

I notice that your son will be in 9th grade. When I used Sonlight 100 with my twin 9th graders in 2004, they were very frustrated by what they considered some "babyish" books. And these two weren't advanced students. I ended up ditching Sonlight 100 in the second semester, improvising for the rest of the year, and returning to a great books study for 10th grade. Looking at the current Sonlight 100, I see that at some point (I don't know when) they added some books which could be considered high school level (Enders Game and Their Eyes Were Watching God, for example), but they still have several of the books my sons labeled "babyish". I wish Sonlight would come up with U.S. History and World History courses that are truly and thoroughly high school level. In the meantime, if I were going to use this with a 9th grader, I'd wait and hope they make some more changes this coming year, and I'd buy an updated guide. It would be worth the price.

After going to our local used homeschooling book store, my boys said the same thing about the books being babyish.

We are going to do Ambleside Online Year 7 instead. We are CM homeschoolers, but I never thought I'd use AO. We are excited!

I agree with you and I'm so glad that we decided to switch now before I had started planning and making such a big purchase!