Menu

Good update! 2 year-old with influenza, but whooping cough sound

melissamomof5

Update! Well, Praise the Lord! I slept in his room last night to keep an eye on him and he only coughed a couple times early in the night and has hardly coughed since, the sound is gone too! I think he was just so gunked up it was hard for him to get enough breath at that moment.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

We've got the infulenza/flu going through the house.

DS (2 1/2) came down with it last Friday. Fever 103, cough, vomited, lots of moans & groans. His fever went away Sunday. Yesterday it came back about 100. He's got a lot of clear mucous in his nose, draining, gagging him. His cough sounds like the samples of "whooping cough" I've listened to.

Should I call the dr and take him in or do you think it's just part of this virus?

Thank you for the reply. :)

Since he's been awake a couple hours now, the whoop has gone away when he coughs. He kind of did that a month ago when he was sick with something respiratory too. I'm thinking it may just be how he coughs? I was up for hours last night holding him though and riddled with worry!

He's just got a clear runny nose, cough, but he's feeling so much better today! He ate breakfast and is playing in the tub.

Both of my dds sound croupy when they are sick, and both of them have small airways. We didn't find out till they were about 4/5 years old. They always needed a nebulizer treatment with albuterol. Sometimes they needed steroids as well. You could also try keeping him a steamy bathroom for several minutes to help when he's coughing that way. Hope he feels better soon.

Could it be croup? Croup will be worse at night and typically ease up during the day. If the funny sound comes back bundle his body up and sit outside in the cool air. This will ease the cough.

I don't think it's croup, we've had that before and this isn't barky. But he's doing much better now...I will see how he does during his nap in a bit.

If the sound starts again, I would take him to the doctor. One DS has cough variant asthma. He only needs albuterol when his allergies or a cold weaken his lungs. Once his lungs are affected, he spirals downward. If we stay on top of it with the albuterol, he gets much better much faster (and doesn't develp walking pneumonia).

I hope he is feeling better soon.