Menu

What do you keep on hand in case of flu?

Spryte

We've had the flu for the past two years - the entire family. Last year we actually had it twice, as after we'd all had whatever was going around here, DH brought home "Euro-Flu" after a business trip, and we had the European strain (which, by the way, was beyond awful!). We went the Tamiflu route, and it helped to a degree, but getting it was a bit of a pain.

I vowed to get flu shots this year, but our doc is so opposed to them that I opted not to do it at the last minute. Hoping that we've built up some immunity to the current strains.

We are vigilant about hand-washing and hygiene, but flu is rampant in our area and I'm not sure we can avoid the germs.

What do you keep in the house in case of flu? We have the usual vitamins/minerals and probiotics on hand.

I just ordered Oscillococcinum, but I'm sure there are other natural remedies that we should have on hand. I just can't remember them!

So... What's in your flu arsenal? Want to share?

Oscillococcinum and Sambucol. I also have a Zinc spray.

I always give Sambucol at the first sign of a cold, but I save the Oscillo for what seems more like flu (if tummy's fine, I double up with Sambucol).

Oh, and from the conventional side of the aisle, if we don't catch it with the above stuff in the beginning stages and prevent it altogether, I have ibuprofen, tylenol, and Mucinex (the pills - for some reason I've always found the syrups completely ineffective, but the pills seem to do the job - maybe the dose is higher??), and sudafed if the head is involved.

And homemade chicken soup. :)

Wow, Lizzie, having the flu at your house sounds amazingly comforting!

I'm going to pick up some Sambucol next time I'm near a pharmacy. I totally don't want to get the flu.

Make sure you get the liquid. When I went out to get ours, I only found the right one at CVS. The other stores had Sambucol pills for cold and flu, but that one is homeopathic and isn't the same thing as the liquid (which has been tested and proven effective).

1st line of defense if I know I've been exposed is 50,000 IU Vitamin D3 a day for a couple of days, vit D is great for wiping out/preventing the flu. If I don't know and I start showing symptoms I start Ocillo and the Vit D. If I get hit with the flu or a bad cold I break out the motrin, sudafed (the real stuff not the PE), Mucinex pills (Target carries it in generic, 30 pills for $6 which is wayyyyyy cheaper!). If I remember I add vit C and Nyquil at night so I can sleep.

I dose up on 1000's of milligrams of vitamin C and that seems to be the best method I've found. I get chewable sodium ascorbate vitamin C from Costco. I've tried Sambucol but didn't notice any difference. I was recommended to get Elderberry but when I looked at the bottles I think that's the same thing that is in Sambucol so I didn't bother getting it. I gave my children about 3,000 mg of vitamin C yesterday and they are better today. I also got Zicam and gave them one dissolvable tablet yesterday.

FWIW, I can't remember the last time we've had THE actual flu, so take this FWIW. I think what we're dealing with now is more a cold virus, I have not noticed anyone has fevers.

We start taking a tablespoon of elderberry syrup every day beginning in early December, and we continue to take it throughout the end of flu season. If someone begins to show any signs of sickness, they begin taking a few teaspoons every few hours until symptoms subside. We also start taking extra vitamin C in mid-fall and continue to take it through the end of February. Thankfully, we have only ever had mild colds and those nagging coughs but never the flu.

This is the recipe I've been using for the elderberry syrup: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/newsletter/10/november/elderberrysyrup.php

Thanks! I had forgotten about Sambucol. Is that safe for kids, too? Is there a dosing chart by weight online somewhere?

Vit D, Vit C, zinc spray - check.

Will make sure we have all of those on hand.

And, of course, all the comfort items are stockpiled.

Do I sound paranoid? I think I may have PTSD from our back to back bouts of it last year! Whew. Sandwiched right in between them was a rampant case of Norovirus, so it was quite the 2 month trauma. :)

Oscillococcinum and Sambucol. I also have a Zinc spray.

I always give Sambucol at the first sign of a cold, but I save the Oscillo for what seems more like flu (if tummy's fine, I double up with Sambucol).

Oh, and from the conventional side of the aisle, if we don't catch it with the above stuff in the beginning stages and prevent it altogether, I have ibuprofen, tylenol, and Mucinex (the pills - for some reason I've always found the syrups completely ineffective, but the pills seem to do the job - maybe the dose is higher??), and sudafed if the head is involved.

And homemade chicken soup. :)

I see there are two stypes of Sambucol... "original" and one for "colds/flu". Which one do you use?

I see there are two stypes of Sambucol... "original" and one for "colds/flu". Which one do you use?

Neither - I get "immune support". I actually use Nature's Way brand Sambucus Immune Support. It has a bit less elderberry than the orignial Sambucol, but also has Vit. C, Zinc, and Echinacea. Throw the kitchen sink at it!

And do get the liquid, not the lozenges.

Sprite, crackers and soup.

Nyquil for the DH, Ibuprofen for me.

Probably the biggest thing I want ready and primed to go is a bottle of bleach water. I also make a point of scrubbing all available commodes the moment anyone starts to feel ill. At least in my mind love is a clean commode when one is throwing up.

Neither - I get "immune support". I actually use Nature's Way brand Sambucus Immune Support. It has a bit less elderberry than the orignial Sambucol, but also has Vit. C, Zinc, and Echinacea. Throw the kitchen sink at it!

And do get the liquid, not the lozenges.

Sambucol also makes an immune formula with Vitamin C and zinc. It's pricey because you can only ever seem to find it in 4 oz. bottles, but my ds12 really hates the taste of the original formula, so I buy it anyway. (They add some sort of raspberry flavoring to the immune one, and it's also a bit thinner in consistency.)

• Zinc Citrate - 50mg. I've found that most lozenges only have around 5mg of Zinc, so we take the 50mg capsules 1x day - DD can't swallow capsules so I open them up and mix them in her OJ.
  • Vitamin C. We megadose at the onset of a cold/flu (around 5,000mg a day, but you can safely go up to 10,000mg for several days)
  • Sambucus. We have Sambucol as well as the Nature's Answer brand for kids.
  • Oregano Oil - strong anti-viral benefits
  • Echinacea extract
  • Oscillococcinum
  • Chestal Honey cough syrup
  • Garlic
  • Cayenne pepper. The kids can't use this, but I gargle with 1/2 tsp of cayenne mixed in water it at the slightest hint of throat irritation and it reduces the pain quickly and prevents it from taking hold.
  • Tea tree oil. I put some drops in a bowl of hot water and inhale the steam with a towel over my head.

Oh - one more thing I always have on hand - Throat Coat Tea. Has slippery elm. And it tastes good.

For stomach "flu" (which is not influenza of any kind at all) I have a completely different regimen. Towels all over, sick person may not move off them except to go to bathroom - which is dedicated only to them for that day - no one else may enter. No foods or fluids, especially water (and no pills or syrups of any kind) till the puking subsides for at least a couple of hours, then start on tiny sips of Gatorade, working up to a bit more, then add saltines. If that's kept down, keep increasing slowly.

At end of day, wash towels on hot with bleach, and bleach the heck out of the pukey bathroom.

For next two days or so, more saltines and Gatorade, then add BRAT diet, then chicken soup.

I have virtually always been able to keep a stomach bug to one person and 24 hours with this regimen. I hate the pukes.

:confused: What do you do with hydrogen peroxide for flu?

Some respiratory viruses enter and incubate through the ear canal. When I come down with one of those nasty quick-onset fever/bodyache viruses (the kind where within a couple of hours you go from feeling fine to feeling like you've been hit by a bus and just want to lay down and die), I put 1/2 capful or so of hydrogen peroxide in each ear for 3-4 minutes apiece (as though you are cleaning the wax out of your ears). Do this every 2-3 hours during the day. By the end of the day I'm feeling pretty much back to normal, with maybe a couple of lasting nose sniffles at worst. Continue "cleaning" your ears 3 or 4 times a day for a couple days after that, just to make sure there isn't a resurgence.

It only works for certain respiratory viruses, not at all for stomach viruses. At the very worst, your ears will be sparkly clean :001_smile:

Some respiratory viruses enter and incubate through the ear canal. When I come down with one of those nasty quick-onset fever/bodyache viruses (the kind where within a couple of hours you go from feeling fine to feeling like you've been hit by a bus and just want to lay down and die), I put 1/2 capful or so of hydrogen peroxide in each ear for 3-4 minutes apiece (as though you are cleaning the wax out of your ears). Do this every 2-3 hours during the day. By the end of the day I'm feeling pretty much back to normal, with maybe a couple of lasting nose sniffles at worst. Continue "cleaning" your ears 3 or 4 times a day for a couple days after that, just to make sure there isn't a resurgence.

It only works for certain respiratory viruses, not at all for stomach viruses. At the very worst, your ears will be sparkly clean :001_smile:

Thanks!

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm still not understanding. Do you put the HP on a swab and swipe your ears? Or do you actually drip it into the ear canal?

Don't care for Dayquil, although NyQuil is OK. Dayquil always makes me feel as if my head is detatched from my body and floating about two feet above my neck. Since it sort of lags behind when I walk I keep wanting to reach up and put it back on...a real Alice and Wonderland sort of thing.

Don't care for Dayquil, although NyQuil is OK. Dayquil always makes me feel as if my head is detatched from my body and floating about two feet above my neck. Since it sort of lags behind when I walk I keep wanting to reach up and put it back on...a real Alice and Wonderland sort of thing.

We get the generic grocery store brand, and I never have any side effects, other than feeling better. *shrug*

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm still not understanding. Do you put the HP on a swab and swipe your ears? Or do you actually drip it into the ear canal?

You lay your head on the side and pour the hydrogen peroxide into the ear. Then after a couple minutes, place a towel or washcloth over your ear, turn your head on it's other side to drain, and pour HP into the other ear. I use a q-tip afterwards to dry off the inside a little.